12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

Default Oh God, lets talk about God.

I made a video to practice talking to the camera. Middle school quality. Of course I dive into the heaviest topic to talk about. But I honestly want to know everyones opinion about this. What are your thoughts of God. Do you think God does, or doesnt exist. Why or why not.

"Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari

heartland values Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I go back and forth on the topic. On the one hand, it would explain why something exists instead of nothing. And it would mean that maybe we're all here for a reason. We have something we need to do, and we need to figure out what that is, and do it.

On the other hand, maybe it's just a trick that our feeble brains play on us, and there is no point to any of this. We're squeezed out, flail around for a little bit, and then stop. Any perception that there's more than that is just something people made up to make themselves feel better.

I'm metaphysically conflicted, I am.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

I can see where you are coming from, I have been conflicted with that same thinking process when it comes to the main man in heaven. But honestly Reality is defined by what a individual believe, because it is THIER reality. Not by what exists.
    "Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

Johari
    Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by evilrubberduckie View Post
    But honestly Reality is defined by what a individual believe, because it is THIER reality. Not by what exists.
    I'm not sure I agree. I could think that I'm going to live for 2000 years, but me thinking that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. I could think that I'm going to live for 2000 years, but me thinking that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    The human mind is a powerful thing. If you believe in something, then its real to you, the individual. It might not happen, but that doesn't make that belief any less real to the person saying it.
    -Kahlil Gibran

Johari
    Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The human mind is a powerful thing. If you believe in something, then its real to you, the individual. It might not happen, but that doesn't make that belief any less real to the person saying it.
    That it is.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    On the other hand, maybe it's just a trick that our feeble brains play on us, and there is no point to any of this. We're squeezed out, flail around for a little bit, and then stop. Any perception that there's more than that is just something people made up to make themselves feel better.
    I think I decided that i like making myself feel better.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I made a video to practice talking to the camera. Middle school quality. Of course I dive into the heaviest topic to talk about. But I honestly want to know everyones opinion about this. What are your thoughts of God. Do you think God does, or doesnt exist. Why or why not.
    Cool vid. Interesting topic.

I think God/gods have been part of the human experience since before time. I think the concept of God was heavily influenced by our being able to contemplate our own deaths. As far as we know, we're the only species capable of knowing that we're going to die in the long term. Granted, some animals realize this too but it's more on an instinctual level than an abstract one.

The fact that we're capable of abstract thought and long term projection makes us inevitably contemplate our own existence. We're not only able to think about what is but how things ought to or should be. It's that old is/ought dichotomy and when 'ought' is brought to examination it usually leads to a moral and/or ethical question. Naturally then, we want to know what makes us moral and what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Why can we do these things when other creatures we know of cannot? It makes us feel special and if we are truly special then we must have a special source, a Creator which loves us and from which we come.

I can't say with 100% certainty if a God exists or doesn't exist but I tend to lean towards no. My existence isn't predicated upon the belief that a God exists or doesn't exist (i.e. if I chose to really believe or disbelieve tomorrow I would still be alive and well provided nothing drastic happens to me like a car accident or something.) One can live a rich and fulfilling life with or without the belief. Of course, most God belief isn't really about existing now but about continued existence in the 'afterlife.' I can't say for certain if there is an afterlife or not but I tend to lean towards no. Both God and the afterlife lack any real evidence from my point of view but I'm willing to change my mind should some evidence be presented.

God belief also interjected when we reach the edge of knowledge, or put differently, when we border the realm of ignorance. Even some of the greatest thinkers to ever exist asserted a God belief especially when they couldn't explain things further with natural knowledge. Issac Newton was able to describe, through calculus, how two large bodies might interact with each other and why they do so without invoking God as a necessary mechanism. Newton didn't know how gravity exactly worked when more mass was involved from multiple sources so he resigned that knowledge to 'God's mind.' It wasn't until Einstein that we discovered relativity that we pulled back the answer out of the realm of ignorance.

All that being said most human culture and civilization was built around some sort of concept of God. Many Western values we hold and take for granted were heavily influenced by Greco-Roman philosophy and Judeo-Christian theology. Saying that I think it's unwise to throw out the baby with the bathwater. In other words if one doesn't believe on a philosophical/logical/scientific level in the existence of an actual God - the values inherited from that God belief shouldn't be thrown out as worthless. I find some 'fellow atheists' do this which creates a void within their psyche and the rush to replace it with something whether they realize it or not. It also brings the onset of some weird nihilism which I don't see as particularly valuable.

MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZNP-TBA View Post
    Saying that I think it's unwise to throw out the baby with the bathwater. In other words if one doesn't believe on a philosophical/logical/scientific level in the existence of an actual God - the values inherited from that God belief shouldn't be thrown out as worthless.
    That sounds like you're saying "treat each other like there's a piece of God in everyone, but don't actually believe in God. "

Sounds kind of contradicting, no?
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12
    Likes ZNP-TBA, evilrubberduckie liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    That sounds like you're saying "treat each other like there's a piece of God in everyone, but don't actually believe in God. "

Sounds kind of contradicting, no?
    Nah, more like let's say 'treat your neighbor as you would treat yourself' is a pretty good principle to abide by. Just because those words are ascribed to Jesus(God in Christianity) doesn't mean the principle is invalid even if the God belief might be.

One does not need to be a Christian to walk the path of what many might consider a "good Christian - minus the belief in a supernatural being"
    Likes Flâneuse liked this post