• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oh God, lets talk about God.

Empyrean

It is the case that for 200,000 years we believed that the Sun went round the Earth. For that long, it was the case, we practised the inequality of women. And not so long ago, it was the case, we practised the sacrificial form of child rearing by burying live children in the foundations of sacred buildings.

So many horrific things were the case until the Western Enlightenment of the 17th and !8th centuries.

So we now know that what is the case are not only not facts but also part of a morally impoverished culture.

I don't think you're quite getting 'it.' But that's OK. Wittgenstein is dense. May I recommend starting with the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus?

Mole

Permabanned
I don't think you're quite getting 'it.' But that's OK. Wittgenstein is dense. May I recommend starting with the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus?

Rather than making personal comments why not tell us what you are thinking.

There is no need to tell me what Wittgenstein thought, but I am not a mind reader, and so I rely on you to tell me what you are thinking.

Empyrean

Rather than making personal comments why not tell us what you are thinking.

There is no need to tell me what Wittgenstein thought, but I am not a mind reader, and so I rely on you to tell me what you are thinking.

Oh, the irony.

Lark

Oh, the irony.

I know right?

If you're around long enough you get familiar with the posters who're deploying a script like a bot and dont really want that to be upset too much with doubts or alternative opinions.

I've wavered between believing that Victor/Mole and a few other posters were bots or crude behaviourist experimentors for a while but Mole will see that as a personal attack, its just an observation though.

I like Wittgenstein too but in some ways I think his philosophy was simpler than a lot of people think, I read a good graphic novel once (not the basis for my views on Wittgenstein BTW) in which they compared Bertrand Russelll and Wittgenstein in their development, attitudes to schooling (both were school masters for a time), war etc. Russell's struggle with axioms and truth or rigor in mathematics is pretty interesting.

S16M4

Permabanned
Unfortunately spirituality is the weasel word for religion. So instead of joining the weasels, why not explore the implications of Natural Selection?

You mean how spirituality is good for the psyche, so it was selected for or something like that?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People's minds. The psychological aspect of perception. Such things are simply fascinating! How could you not?

the psychological aspect of religion is very interesting. it will tell you so much about what a person wants and needs thats missing in their life. its crazy how much religion in a person is driven by internal wants and needs.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the psychological aspect of religion is very interesting. it will tell you so much about what a person wants and needs thats missing in their life. its crazy how much religion in a person is driven by internal wants and needs.

Yes. Exactly! Whether it be the need to control, the need for comfort, community, ego, salvation, for something to seek after or give one's life a fulfilling purpose specific to those needs. It always comes down to "need". The source being 'within'. Ultimately there's always some level of selfishness involved in it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Exactly! Whether it be the need to control, the need for comfort, community, ego, salvation, for something to seek after or give one's life a fulfilling purpose specific to those needs. It always comes down to "need". The source being 'within'. Ultimately there's always some level of selfishness involved in it.

yeah, its interesting because some will look at this as "reason" God is not real. but really all i see is that people are following themselves and not the actual religion or its understanding properly. God is a different argument on its own. i guess that why i have completely seperated religion and God growing up. i have been to baptist, methodist, non-denominatiinal, catholic, holy roller people(name escapes me) and there was something in every church that pushed me away. the only church i enjoyed was a non-denominational...they didnt care if you believed in God. they did, but was a predominately black startup church that just wanted to help people. bring in sex counselors, marriage counselors, guidance counselors, family counselors, etc. create a family to help with no percieved "religious groupie" other then worship and belief God is real. the preacher was a little to self centered in regard to how to run things best, but he had a good group of elders he listened to above his own self centeredness which provided a VERY good balance.

his self centered pushed and pulled with passion to create the drive and the elders steered it in the right direction.

S16M4

Permabanned
holy roller people(name escapes me)

Pentecostals? :rotfl:

Same, I wasn't feeling any of the modern Christianities because IMO, Religion = costumes. I'm attracted to the aesthetics because it harkens back to our primitive shamanistic origins. It tickles my anthropological bone. My belief is "If you're going to waste time on religion, go all the way." I may be a bit biased, but the religion of my people is something I could play along with. Plus, there's a Kami for every damn thing.

Empyrean

I know right?

If you're around long enough you get familiar with the posters who're deploying a script like a bot and dont really want that to be upset too much with doubts or alternative opinions.

I've wavered between believing that Victor/Mole and a few other posters were bots or crude behaviourist experimentors for a while but Mole will see that as a personal attack, its just an observation though.

I like Wittgenstein too but in some ways I think his philosophy was simpler than a lot of people think, I read a good graphic novel once (not the basis for my views on Wittgenstein BTW) in which they compared Bertrand Russelll and Wittgenstein in their development, attitudes to schooling (both were school masters for a time), war etc. Russell's struggle with axioms and truth or rigor in mathematics is pretty interesting.

Very interesting view.

And Mr. Mole, I was specifically referring to the annoyance of others' aphoristic writing when one himself always writes aphoristically as ironically funny. ;)

Still, all the best.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have no idea what aphoristic means and I dont thin he is a Mister

Empyrean

Blame my Fe. :laugh:

Aphorism - basically short propositions or claims of this and that... not arguments.

Mole

Permabanned
I have no idea what aphoristic means and I dont thin he is a Mister

One definition of an aphorism is a concise statement of a principle. So I would have to agree I am an aphorist.

However should I be addressed formally as Dr Mole, or perhaps familiarly as Moley? But I would accept a compromise as Mr Mole. It has the advantage of alliteration. And does engender a modicum of respect.