• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oh God, lets talk about God.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno. Actually, no one does. No one knows if God does or doesn't exist, so why are people on both sides of the argument so damn sure of themselves?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=18694]The Wailing Specter[/MENTION]

If I were you, at least do a trigger warning and a spoiler.

As disturbing as it is (and as wary as I am of xNFPs who go to such extreme measures to prove a point) I think the people who listen to trigger warnings are the people who need to see those images the most. Reality sucks sometimes, but I think if people can't handle it, they shouldn't be spouting their opinions everywhere on the internet and calling others hateful or bigoted for acknowledging facts that they chose to ignore *cough cough tumblr*

Mole

Permabanned
I dunno. Actually, no one does. No one knows if God does or doesn't exist, so why are people on both sides of the argument so damn sure of themselves?

We believe God exists while we are in a trance. In a trance our critical minds are asleep and we don't question whatever we think and feel, so trance is a source of certainty.

As well anyone who questions a trance is experienced as destroying the trance, and in Islam today this can lead to the death penalty.

Trance is highly emotionally desirable and leads to a certainty on which we can base our lives. No wonder we defend it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't care what people believe in. All I want is for them to keep it to themselves. That means it doesn't leak out of your personal space and get spattered on some uninterested and unsuspecting person that doesn't share your views.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't care what people believe in. All I want is for them to keep it to themselves. That means it doesn't leak out of your personal space and get spattered on some uninterested and unsuspecting person that doesn't share your views.

This is fine in a religion like Christianity which practises the separation of Church and State under a secular Constitution, but it doesn't work for Islam which doesn't have a separation of Mosque and State, and which practises Jihad and Sharia Law.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=18694]The Wailing Specter[/MENTION] I'm honestly freaked out now. Why did you have to post that meme?:(:(:(

Typh0n, I have a question for you, mon.

Is it bad, if I looked at that picture and laughed? But what if I was listening to Eminem when I looked at the picture, would that be bad? Sorry, I just have to clear things up. Until then I just walk around with a moralistic strut because I'M OUT OF MY MIIIIIND

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is fine in a religion like Christianity which practises the separation of Church and State under a secular Constitution, but it doesn't work for Islam which doesn't have a separation of Mosque and State, and which practises Jihad and Sharia Law.

Don't be a Debbie Downer. They only believe that shit because someone else told them to. Someone could just as easily tell them something entirely different. Do that long and loud enough, Riyad could look like Palm Springs.

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, boundries are very important. Good fences make good neighbors. I find it very helpful not to confuse myself with the thoughts and feelings of others.

eisce faery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What is God again? If god is a figment of our imagination, then God is anything we want God to be. If God is something outside of our imagination, then God is something beyond what we can comprehend. We put labels on God like we know what we are talking about. God is wrathful, God is pure, God sings tenor. Bottom line: if there is a God, we don't know God.

There was a poll I saw once asking people if God made it clear [its] existence, would you worship [it]? Most people said that even if there was absolute evidence there was a god that they wouldn't worship [it].

No one deep down really wants to know if there is a God. What they really want is to believe that there is a god or believe there not to be a god and that is all. And, in the end whether you are worm food and nothing more or your consciousness journeys onto a higher plane, it is probably best to leave people to have the freedom to think whatever they like.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is awful. I am already in a bad place so I am pretty sensitive rn but like...I don't know I can't think because of this. Like, would world be a better place without religion (no offense)? I mean if you feed your worst fears into one being as in "god" (I don't have an opinion on whether there is one or no) and expect religion to guide your entire life...that's a waste of life. Like, I shudder to think what it would take to heal from something like that.

Well, yes, in most cases religion does more harm than good. Whatever purpose they once served is no longer relevant and people, especially those who subscribe to Abrahamic Religion, will kill and maim to please their "almighty god". The Eastern and Indian Religions have issues surrounding bringing them into modernity as well as issues with them favoring conservatism, but Indian and Eastern Religions on a bad day are only as bad as Abrahamic Religions on a good day. I'm still pretty sure the best religion is no religion, though I can at least respect Buddhism on some level.

(Even Buddhism, however, has devolved over the centuries into a tribalist banner lay people use to act how they want and oppress the other, so I say no ideology with a large following is completely immune to creeping evil and schadenfreude!)

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As disturbing as it is (and as wary as I am of xNFPs who go to such extreme measures to prove a point) I think the people who listen to trigger warnings are the people who need to see those images the most. Reality sucks sometimes, but I think if people can't handle it, they shouldn't be spouting their opinions everywhere on the internet and calling others hateful or bigoted for acknowledging facts that they chose to ignore *cough cough tumblr*

Not sure what this means.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typh0n, I have a question for you, mon.

Is it bad, if I looked at that picture and laughed? But what if I was listening to Eminem when I looked at the picture, would that be bad? Sorry, I just have to clear things up. Until then I just walk around with a moralistic strut because I'M OUT OF MY MIIIIIND

Laughing at that would probably be messed up, but not "bad" in any objective way, since I don't believe "good" and "bad" are objective, listening to Eminem, no, thats fine I guess.

Though I'm not sure by what human impulse someone could laugh at that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Laughing at that would probably be messed up, but not "bad" in any objective way, since I don't believe "good" and "bad" are objective, listening to Eminem, no, thats fine I guess.

Though I'm not sure by what human impulse someone could laugh at that.

Right now I can't recapture the feelings and reasons for why I laughed at it, it's just a bit bland.

But I guess because it's not as serious and disturbing as many people would see it as.

So I guess it's like feeling the good aspects that others refuse to acknowledge.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

I get what you're saying and within that meaning I agree. However, one can misinterpret this is as "keep all ideas you have to yourself." It's a fact of life many people aren't going to share your views but why shouldn't they be discussed anyways? I think everyone shutting up just to avoid interpersonal conflict is lame. I get that's not what you're saying though so I'm just mentioning this as a general comment.

It's basically like this. I think any idea(no matter how absurd it might seem)should be brought to the discussion table. Here's the thing though, if you bring your idea outside of your personal space to the public forum of discussion then be prepare to have it scrutinized and possibly dismantled. Once you bring an idea public it's no longer insulated from criticism. As the old saying goes, if one can handle the heat then get out of the kitchen.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, yes, in most cases religion does more harm than good. Whatever purpose they once served is no longer relevant and people, especially those who subscribe to Abrahamic Religion, will kill and maim to please their "almighty god".

Most cases? What does this mean? If most cases is true then the majority of religious people do more harm than good since religion, as an idea, doesn't 'do' anything- only people 'do' things. If your claim of 'most cases' is true then you're basically saying the majority of religious people do more harm than good. Are you really going to stick with that?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most cases? What does this mean? If most cases is true then the majority of religious people do more harm than good since religion, as an idea, doesn't 'do' anything- only people 'do' things. If your claim of 'most cases' is true then you're basically saying the majority of religious people do more harm than good. Are you really going to stick with that?
I'll modify the claim to literalists/fundamentalists, but otherwise, yes, people strongly holding to untrue beliefs is almost never good.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll modify the claim to literalists/fundamentalists, but otherwise, yes, people strongly holding to untrue beliefs is almost never good.

So would you make the claim that most religious people are fundies?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Slatan Ibrahimovic lately said that he has no Familie relations to God whatsoever

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. I'll bite the bullet on this one.

Eh, sometimes we just have to think these things through before making blanket statements. ;)

Thus if we follow the logic then the statement "In most cases religions do more harm than good" is not supported very well. I think we can say "In some cases, religions do more harm than good" and I'd challenge anyone to refute that. However, that doesn't mean the opposite is true that in most cases religions do more good than harm either. On an overall scale what's good and what's harmful is subjective to the individuals/groups involved. In person A's life religion does way more good than harm because maybe it was their faith that helped them get over a terrible drug addiction? In person B's life religion does way more harm than good because maybe their religion forbade them from getting a blood transfusion for child which resulted in the child's death.