• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Explain islam and how it intermixes with the bible

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought Jesus was the son of God? I didn't know people actually believe he IS God.

I'm so confused. Why would you believe a man was God that contradicts the belief in God's existance.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought Jesus was the son of God? I didn't know people actually believe he IS God.

I'm so confused. Why would you believe a man was God that contradicts the belief in God's existance.

He is the son and he is God, dont ask me, it confused me just as much as well. I swear its just a family where the Holy Spirit is the wife.

My only other explanation is sever mental issues, like tri-polar, but religion would not like that. I think they just settle on trinity instead.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It does defy rationality (hence it's often described as a "mystery"). The modern interpretation is that Jesus was God made flesh, who died sinless as the perfect sacrifice to redeem all believers from their sins. So he was both the son of God, and was God. The immortal who embraced mortality.

And it gets even more specific than that, in that the Eastern and Western churches broke because of the "Filioque" clause of the Nicene Creed, which was about whether the Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father, or from the Father AND the Son.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But... that'said so wierd. He is still a mortal man, and not a God in either discription. Why believe he IS God. Didn't God send the bible down to Jesus to spread the word? I don't understand.

Is the holy spirit God and took over Jesus body or something ? If so Jesus isn't God, God just used him as a meat suite.

This is confusing. What's the whole point of God if Jesus is God, why don't you call God Jesus then, rather then God?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But... that'said wierd. He is still a mortal man, and not God in either discription. Why believe he IS God. Didn't God send the bible down to Jesus to spread the word? I don't understand.

Is the holy spirit God and took over Jesus body or something ? If so Jesus isn't God, God just used him as a meat suite.

This is confusing. What's the whole point of God if Jesus is God, why don't you call God Jesus then, rather then God?

Well, traditionally there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Described together as "The Trinity." I believe mainstream Christian theology claims that all existing from (before) the beginning.

Some Christian sects (like the Mormons), have a different interpretation of Jesus, one in which he was no more the son of God than anyone else, just that he lived a particularly virtuous life (simplifying a little).

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The general theology of it is that humans are basically sinful, so much so that they can't redeem themselves. The only way they could be redeemed is if G😁d came down incarnate as a person, yet completely separate (he can't abandon his post) and martyred himself to redeem them.

Another alternate explanation was that Jesus is not in fact God, but a perfect human, as we were before The Fall. This was labeled as the Arian heresy by the early church and was violently stamped out.

Mole

Permabanned
But... that'said so wierd. He is still a mortal man, and not a God in either discription. Why believe he IS God. Didn't God send the bible down to Jesus to spread the word? I don't understand.

Theology is not based on evidence and reason. Theology is based on trance and suggestion.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still confused, but that's ok. Religion is confusing to begin with. I'll just lurk around until I can understand it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's a peculiar perspective coming from a pagan. Do you believe in any sort of precognition?

We're not talking about a coin toss here with 50/50 odds. Out of ALL the babies that were born in the entire world during that time, a very specific prophecy was written about that particular child and coincidentally it just happened to come true? :huh: Think about that. Mathematicians couldn't even calculate the odds for a prediction like that because there are too many variables.
First, I must admit my own sloppiness in even stating this as a case of one of the prophecies finally happening "to come true". The vast majority of Muslims do not create conflict with their neighbors, and thus do not fulfill the prophecy. So, selective interpretation for convenience. Vague pronouncements like this speak to fundamental aspects of human nature, specifically: humans fight each other, and they tend to want to paint themselves in a good light. Of course the writers of that story would not have their own people be the ones whose descendents would be wild and instigate conflict with everyone else. If they had, though, we might then have considered it a prediction of the conquest of Canaan by the Israelites, or even how in more modern times, the Jews have had faced persecution for so many generations. If applied later, to Christians, such a prophecy might have been said to predict the Inquisition. It is far too easy to read into such statements what we want to see. Same with other prophecies, e.g. Nostradamus.

As for my personal beliefs, I know that some people have better predictive abilities than others, but whether that is true precognition, or just a better ability to connect the dots, often subconsciously, I cannot say.

So we are all children of God, i have really heard and read way to much overlap and consistancy to believe otherwise. Some people just wanna cherry pick for stupid shit. Sounds like a family arguemnt of...he did thjs, no she did that. They did this, no they didnt. And we are so far disconnected we can take sides, but dont know for sure....faith
Exactly. I posted this letter awhile back somewhere, because the original link had disappeared. Here is a new link. Same sentiment.

I must admit I have my own take on this. There is Christian theology and Islamic theology and they are different. However these theologies are pre-scientific, and take no account of geology, or biology, or astronomy.

So in my mind at least these ancient theologies no longer make sense.

However I recognise religion is entrancing, and induces a welcome trance in its members. And when we are entranced reason falls asleep and we take on faith whatever is suggested, from the very strange theology of Scientology to the mainstream theologies of Christianity and Islam.

Christianity has found a way to avoid violence amid different theologies by the separation of Church and State, while Islam is still stuck in theologic violence, by making no distinction between Mosque and State.
I'm not sure what a statement like "Christianity has avoided violence" is even supposed to mean. To paraphrase gun rights advocates, belief systems don't commit violence, people do. Christians have perpetrated plenty of violence and continue to do so. They just rarely do it in the name of the church any longer. Now it is for revenge/redress, territory or economic gain, change of government (revolution), self-defense, etc. But then those always were the real reasons, with religion just the pretext; an unassailable justification and potent rallying cry. Now Christians must make do with others.

As for Christian and Muslim theology, they are far more alike than different, and you have identified a key similarity here: both are pre-scientific. They are also "religions of the book", relying on an unchanging set of writings for inspiration, guidance, and moral law. They share much of the same history, many of the same prophets, and a monotheistic view of God. When I defend Islam, it is not because I believe in it of even agree with its teachings. It is because I see it as no worse than Christianity. Both have very similar shortcomings. I suspect that the fact that adherents of the two faiths have addressed these differently is as much cultural as anything else.

It does defy rationality (hence it's often described as a "mystery"). The modern interpretation is that Jesus was God made flesh, who died sinless as the perfect sacrifice to redeem all believers from their sins. So he was both the son of God, and was God. The immortal who embraced mortality.
It defies rationality, as well as utility. What purpose does such a doctrine serve, other than to confuse believers and provide endless material for the mental gymnastics of theologians? It is at best a morality play that has trouble presenting a cogent lesson. Aesop wrote better.

Well, traditionally there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Described together as "The Trinity." I believe mainstream Christian theology claims that all existing from (before) the beginning.
Why stop there? How about God the Mother, God the Maiden, God the Warrior, God the Lover, etc? To me, the trinity is a horrendously truncated allusion to the infinity of God.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
With all this feedback i have decided to red, err...have it read to me via app. I am really glad i have. I want to say thanks, so far i really like the begining, very good way to live.

I dont see how anyone can doubt they are the same after reading the begining? Except through little things that dont seem to matter or be correct.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Some Christian sects (like the Mormons), have a different interpretation of Jesus, one in which he was no more the son of God than anyone else, just that he lived a particularly virtuous life (simplifying a little).

Actually, from what I have read, Mormons believe Jesus is the Son of God the Father and believe God is a unity of three distinct beings. As such, Jesus had to let the Romans kill him. Mormons also believe Jesus created the earth and is Jehovah. They do not believe he was just a mortal man who lived a virtuous life.

ReligionFacts.com said:
Unlike the Roman Catholic church, the Eastern Orthodox church, and Protestant Christianity, Mormonism does not include belief in a Trinity, in which the one God consists of three persons. Instead, Mormons believe that the "Godhead" is made up of three distinct beings who are "one in purpose" but not in being. These beings are the Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Mormons cite Matthew 3:16-17 (among many other things) as reference

Matthew 3:16-17 said:
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

In those versus Jesus is baptized, the Spirit descends like a dove, and a voice calls Jesus his son.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, from what I have read, Mormons believe Jesus is the Son of God the Father and believe God is a unity of three distinct beings. As such, Jesus had to let the Romans kill him. Mormons also believe Jesus created the earth and is Jehovah. They do not believe he was just a mortal man who lived a virtuous life.

So, in Mormonism the three distinct beings are united in will in purpose, not of one substance.

The manner is which Jesus is special in Mormonism is a bit different than in other denominations. In Mormon theology, souls (pre-mortal "spirit babies" of God and God's wife/wives) exist as children of God before their lives on Earth. Jesus was one such entity (declared in 1909 by the LDS to have been the first born child of God) who volunteered to become God's only physical son here on Earth, whereas Lucifer (another child of God) rebelled. Hence, we are all (spiritual) brothers and sisters to both Christ and Lucifer, with Jesus being our common older brother.

We also all (in this theology) have the potential to become God (or God's wife) of our own planet (if one lives as a virtuous life, marries in the Temple, etc). Angels are either pre-mortal-life or post-mortal-life spirits (perhaps resurrected with a physical body if post-mortal). Our own God once lived as a virtuous mortal on another planet.

So, in that sense, Jesus is much more like the rest of us than in other Christian denominations, except that he was first (spirit) born child of God and volunteered became the physical son of God and the redeemer. (Sorry for over-stating before... it had been a while since I looked at this.) Gods, humans, spirits, and angels can be seen as beings at various stages of a (potential) life cycle, rather than forever distinct kinds of beings.

(There is, of course, some complication here, because in Mormon texts "Jehovah" is the name for the pre-mortal Jesus, and hence was the creator of Genesis. In that interpretation, there must have been multiple creations [at least two], given that God lived as a mortal elsewhere. There's also an idea of degrees greater and lesser gods, perhaps a great chain of gods over eternity or eternities. It also seems unclear to me whether there was a Jesus-equivalent for our God's redemption, or whether our God was the redeemer on his planet, and whether Jesus will be the redeemer for the next "generations" of gods. Does each god council with his spiritual children to decide how redemption will happen, and perhaps it might not be necessary on some worlds because the Fall never happens?)

I'm not a theologian or a Mormon, though, so I could easily have some of the above garbled. If some LDS person reads this, I hope they aren't offended by that attempt to understanding and summing up. I do find it interesting because it seems like such a radical re-interpretation to me (since I was raised fundamentalist Christian).

(Also, this is pretty far afield of Islam, except in the sense of later books of revelation causing re-interpretation of previous books, and the relationship between them.)

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Muslims would say that the God of the Quran and the God of the Bible are the same, and that Muslims just have a revelation into the character of God that Christians do not have because the Bible is essentially flawed. Christians would say that the 2 Gods are not the same because the foundation of each is so drastically different. You serve, worship and please them in completely different ways.
The message of the Quran is believe that Allah exists, and obey him. If you're good enough, Allah will grant you access into Paradise.
The message of the Bible is that sin deserves death (physical and spiritual) and that Jesus came to pay for the penalty of sin and grant whoever believes in Him eternal life in heaven.
So Muslims would do good works because they are working for their eternal life. They want to make sure they do enough for Allah so that he will have favor on them.
Christians do good works because they've already been promised eternal life, thus the good works come from gratitude instead of fear. (I.e., I'm going to show mercy to others because Jesus has shown mercy to me.)

Key difference is Jesus. To Muslims, he is just a prophet and good teacher. To Christians, he is the son of God who gave his life for his people.
Islam doesn't believe in original sin, therefore there is no need for a savior since it is possible to live a holy life on your own. Christianity believes in original sin, therefore Jesus is very important since a holy life is only possible through the redemption he provides.

Muslims do believe in the original sin. They do not believe that Jesus is the son of god but they do believe he was born through a miracle. Christianity also has a concept of sins and being sent to hell if you do evil. However, it is open to interpretation on both sides whether someone believes in the message of the religion out of fear or out of love. There are many passages in the Quran that refer it's readers to all the good Allah has done for them. In return, Allah asks the reader to trust him and obey his commands. In addition several passages also state "in this there are signs for those who ponder". So the message of the Quran, and the Bible, are both similar in that they suggest that human beings should study their surroundings and ponder.
Another point on why muslims believe the message of the Bible has been corrupted is that the Bible was compiled many many years after Jesus. There are many different versions whereas there is only one version of the Quran.
I think our focus should be on the similarity between the humanity that the two religions, and all other religions and codes of belief, stress on. There is a lot of common ground and a lot can be achieved if we focus on that.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
It is also interesting to see how people believe that "Islam" wants the state and the mosque to be united. What is Islam? Islam is not a code of conduct or a set of rules and principles. Religions of the world are all simply a fundamental set of beliefs. If you believe in the oneness of god, believe in Mohammad, the Quran, Bible and other heavenly books and finally the day of judgement, you are a Muslim. Everything else is socio-political. The "face of Islam" has become the middle east. We need to understand that covering heads and treating women a certain way, allowing 4 marriages and so on are all culturally specific, political ideologies. You may believe in a political ideology to the extent terming it as your religion, but matters of faith are different from matters of social interactions.
This takes me back to the libertarian or even hobbesian view of the world, where when you are in a state, you agree to live under the state's laws and code. If you don't like it, leave it. The state owes you only the protection of your life. These are concepts that were born in western political philosophy. You surrender your right to life to the state in exchange for protection. Why are we in the west concerned with liberating the world? Why must we find terms and categories to label that which we do not understand?
I read a post that said that in America we have separated the church and the state. Well, we first came and killed everyone who lived there, fleeing from Europe that had suffered the Crusades and the brutality of the church, and we thought okay, let's call this land a land for all and let's exclude religion from it. However, we came to that conclusion after having eliminated anyone who challenged us. We cannot simply forget the past and move on. We hate dictatorships because we say that they hinder social development and force people to live a certain way. What are we doing if we go around poking our noses in other people's business?
We all either identify with a religion and believe in a god, or, we deny the existence of god. Everybody is ready to say that my interpretation of x is the correct interpretation of x. We can only find answers if we continue to look, and that is not possible unless we accept the uncertainty of life and the world. Socrates was the wisest man of his time because he admitted that he knew nothing at all.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is also interesting to see how people believe that "Islam" wants the state and the mosque to be united. What is Islam? Islam is not a code of conduct or a set of rules and principles. Religions of the world are all simply a fundamental set of beliefs. If you believe in the oneness of god, believe in Mohammad, the Quran, Bible and other heavenly books and finally the day of judgement, you are a Muslim. Everything else is socio-political. The "face of Islam" has become the middle east. We need to understand that covering heads and treating women a certain way, allowing 4 marriages and so on are all culturally specific, political ideologies. You may believe in a political ideology to the extent terming it as your religion, but matters of faith are different from matters of social interactions.
Doesn't believing in the Quran or the Bible mean accepting the rules for living that it contains? I agree that much of what we see in Islamic practice is indeed cultural, but I thought basic things like being allowed 4 wives or women covering their hair ("show only hands and face") were specified in the Quran. Are they not?

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Doesn't believing in the Quran or the Bible mean accepting the rules for living that it contains? I agree that much of what we see in Islamic practice is indeed cultural, but I thought basic things like being allowed 4 wives or women covering their hair ("show only hands and face") were specified in the Quran. Are they not?

The Quran is mostly Muhammad's dialogue with his people. Do not confuse this with hadees which is Muhammad's life, recalled by people who observed him. The mention of four wives, as I see it, is not a command but in fact a suggestion. It was custom in those areas for men to have several women for child bearing and pleasure. The instruction in the Quran can be seen as specific to those times, where men were instructed that they may marry four women as long as they could economically support them and if the previous wife agreed. What needs to be understood is that the Quran is not a book of law, but a book of guidance.
I am not an expert on religion or an expert on Islam. I feel that the moment we label social phenomenons as laws, we restrict our understanding of social development and progress. There are those among us who like order and want to be told exactly how to do things. When they read the Quran and see rigidity in its message, they either hate it, love it, or take it too literally and in a very limited context. When I have read the Quran or the Bible or even Plato's The Republic, I have discovered a new meaning every single time. That, for me, is growth and learning.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Quran is mostly Muhammad's dialogue with his people. Do not confuse this with hadees which is Muhammad's life, recalled by people who observed him. The mention of four wives, as I see it, is not a command but in fact a suggestion. It was custom in those areas for men to have several women for child bearing and pleasure. The instruction in the Quran can be seen as specific to those times, where men were instructed that they may marry four women as long as they could economically support them and if the previous wife agreed. What needs to be understood is that the Quran is not a book of law, but a book of guidance.
I am not an expert on religion or an expert on Islam. I feel that the moment we label social phenomenons as laws, we restrict our understanding of social development and progress. There are those among us who like order and want to be told exactly how to do things. When they read the Quran and see rigidity in its message, they either hate it, love it, or take it too literally and in a very limited context. When I have read the Quran or the Bible or even Plato's The Republic, I have discovered a new meaning every single time. That, for me, is growth and learning.
Ah, now this all comes down to interpretation, but then it always does. Some people see the Ten Commandments as, well, commandments. Others see them more as guidelines. Part of the problem with Islam is that as a faith they have been slow to adopt these looser interpretations. Some communities have done so, and are trying to bring along their co-religionists, much as Christians and Jews have done.

Yes, the four wives was actually a limit, and the associated requirements of consent and support were intended to benefit women. Previously men often had many more wives/concubines, with neither provision required. In a society in which women's independence was quite limited, polygamy was one way to ensure more women were provided for and could have families in situations where the ranks of men were considerably depleted by war.

It is worth pointing out that the cultural influences come not only after the fact, but also before. The Quran (and the Bible) reflects the culture and customs of its day, all the more reason to look beyond such literalisms to the intent, e.g. improving the lot of women.

totent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ah, now this all comes down to interpretation, but then it always does. Some people see the Ten Commandments as, well, commandments. Others see them more as guidelines. Part of the problem with Islam is that as a faith they have been slow to adopt these looser interpretations. Some communities have done so, and are trying to bring along their co-religionists, much as Christians and Jews have done.

Yes, the four wives was actually a limit, and the associated requirements of consent and support were intended to benefit women. Previously men often had many more wives/concubines, with neither provision required. In a society in which women's independence was quite limited, polygamy was one way to ensure more women were provided for and could have families in situations where the ranks of men were considerably depleted by war.

It is worth pointing out that the cultural influences come not only after the fact, but also before. The Quran (and the Bible) reflects the culture and customs of its day, all the more reason to look beyond such literalisms to the intent, e.g. improving the lot of women.

Let's give Islam the extra 500 years that Christianity took to mature into the 'ideal' religion ;) :)