• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Lessons/Principles Should be Taught to the Youth of Today?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
A response:

from a Rapper to a request from a Teacher...

Agree with his thoughts?

What do you think it's most important for kids to be taught, to create a stellar future generation?

If you ARE a parent, what is most important for you to pass on? Do you think it's more important to impart wisdom or to teach by living as an example?

If you aren't a parent, what WOULD you want to impart? Or, what DO you like to teach the kids that are a part of your life?

If you are a youth, what do you wish you would get more practical help with?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Pain and struggle are unavoidable aspects of life. Everyone has to deal with it at some point in some form or another. Better to confront them early and learn how to manage them in healthy, non-self-destructive ways.

Sometimes the best lessons can be found in failure.

á´…eparted

passages
That education matters, even if you don't think so, and it's a community effort, not just an individual effort.

This generation seems to get this more than the others in the past which is fantastic, but it's still not enough and hasn't reached every area yet. We have a long way to go.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
The most valuable currency in the world is time: learn to say "no".

To lose and win gracefully.

If one hates their job it is better to resign than allow it to make them ill: no job is better than a bad job.

Sometimes only one can help themselves: mummy and daddy will not always be there to help one.

Surround oneself with positive people: cut out anyone from life who undermines ones dreams.

Learn everyday and embrace what ones life is trying to teach them.; learn from the things what go well and learn from the things that go wrong.

If one can not find a way to retire then it is best that they find a job which allows then to do would do anyway if they were unemployed; If one like wasting their time on the Internet get a job as an administrative assistant, if one likes meeting weirdos become a psychiatrist, if one wants to write a book on a obscure subject then become an academic anthropologist, if one like eating food then become a chef. if one likes talking then become a politician or car salesman, and if they like drinking tea then get a job at Starbucks.

Read everyday: read everything one can, do not just read about things one knows about, read about people, read other people's behaviour, read about oneself, read those animals, read the flowers, read all the trees, read the sun, read the stars, and read the world!!!

Be kind to oneself, have coping mechanisms. and reward oneself.

Empathy is the key to connecting with people.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If you ARE a parent, what is most important for you to pass on? Do you think it's more important to impart wisdom or to teach by living as an example?

Oh, example is so incredibly important, I can't overstate it. You can impart wisdom, you can teach everything under the sun but if you take the - do as I say, not as I do - attitude, it's going to be poorly received. Children know what they see. If that conflicts with what you say, you're wasting your time.

Be honest with them about people and the world. Don't shelter them to the point where they can't handle anything. Basically you have to let them experience and fall down. If you have been setting a good example of how to handle the fall, they'll learn how to get up again and not just stay down on the ground waiting for someone to pick them up.

They also need to know that someone has their back. My sons were young when I left their father and he checked out of their lives fairly quickly after. They have thanked me many times for being there, not letting them stay in that bad situation and for always being there for them ever since. That means a lot to me and now that they are grown, we can talk about it. But had I stayed in that situation with them, I'm not sure if we would even be talking today.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Pain and struggle are unavoidable aspects of life. Everyone has to deal with it at some point in some form or another. Better to confront them early and learn how to manage them in healthy, non-self destructive ways.

Sometimes the best lessons can be found in failure.

Oh I am loving all the answers and will return to respond more. For now, I wanted to say how much I value this wise perspective Sin.

When I was in Kindergarten there was a boy - Andrew - who I held hands with every day at nap time. My Teacher was aghast when she realized this and made sure Andrew and I were separated from then on.

I was devastated and told my Dad. He comforted me and wiped my tears and then sat me down across from Him. He explained that life is not fair and we cannot have the expectation of justice. But, how I could live in a way that coped with pain and disappointment. I was really little but remember it vividly and carry those thoughts with me still!

I love that you embrace the idea winning = despite failure, Sinclair *hug*

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Work smarter, not harder.
Be yourself, don't follow the crowd.
Trust yourself.
Your test scores don't define you, you do.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm teaching my daughters self reliance.

Easy right? No it isnt, but everything I show and teach them reduces to self reliance. From teaching them confidence and in the process imparting upon them the model they can use for themselves in the future, to self discipline to learning to think more critically and outside the box to making them more self aware of their emotional state of mind and to overcome fears. I focus on giving them tools vs. the how.

It's all an effort to make them strong, independent (of others, including the government and government handouts) and self reliant.

They can cook for themselves, they clean up after themselves, wash their own clothes, they hate being sick and missing school and they do their homework without being told or reminded. Life is serious business yo and when the zombies come my daughters are going to be ready :D

When you make the mundane fun by making it a game or you positively incentivize your kids and combined with the tools you give them they end up doing all the heavy lifting of figuring things out with minimal need for me to 'tell' them. All I do is guide, usually by asking them questions. Therefore the conclusions they draw are their 'own' and they are more likely to internalize them.

Start young.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'm really enjoying reading the wisdom these older members have, and trying to think of how I can apply it to my life when I wake up in the morning.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
So happifying! [MENTION=8584]SpankyMcFly[/MENTION]

Easy right? No it isnt, but everything I show and teach them reduces to self reliance. From teaching them confidence and in the process imparting upon them the model they can use for themselves in the future, to self discipline to learning to think more critically and outside the box to making them more self aware of their emotional state of mind and to overcome fears. I focus on giving them tools vs. the how.

I appreciate how you say it isn't easy. Parenting effectively is no joke and many rewards come years after the initial outlay of hard work and resources.

I liked everything you laid out and think it's a great 'manual'. I also really enjoyed this:

When you make the mundane fun by making it a game or you positively incentivize your kids and combined with the tools you give them they end up doing all the heavy lifting of figuring things out with minimal need for me to 'tell' them. All I do is guide, usually by asking them questions. Therefore the conclusions they draw are their 'own' and they are more likely to internalize them.

The BEST way of teaching.

Start young.

Yes! Kids are so often under-estimated. What they can be taught from a young age is mind-blowing. It's easier to refine: when responsible lessons have already transferred into customs & habits.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
That education matters, even if you don't think so, and it's a community effort, not just an individual effort.

This generation seems to get this more than the others in the past which is fantastic, but it's still not enough and hasn't reached every area yet. We have a long way to go.

Love the emphasis on community [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]. It takes a 'village to raise a child' AND to educate one as well!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
The most valuable currency in the world is time: learn to say "no".

To lose and win gracefully.

If one hates their job it is better to resign than allow it to make them ill: no job is better than a bad job.

Sometimes only one can help themselves: mummy and daddy will not always be there to help one.

Surround oneself with positive people: cut out anyone from life who undermines ones dreams.

Learn everyday and embrace what ones life is trying to teach them.; learn from the things what go well and learn from the things that go wrong.

If one can not find a way to retire then it is best that they find a job which allows then to do would do anyway if they were unemployed; If one like wasting their time on the Internet get a job as an administrative assistant, if one likes meeting weirdos become a psychiatrist, if one wants to write a book on a obscure subject then become an academic anthropologist, if one like eating food then become a chef. if one likes talking then become a politician or car salesman, and if they like drinking tea then get a job at Starbucks.

Read everyday: read everything one can, do not just read about things one knows about, read about people, read other people's behaviour, read about oneself, read those animals, read the flowers, read all the trees, read the sun, read the stars, and read the world!!!

Be kind to oneself, have coping mechanisms. and reward oneself.

Empathy is the key to connecting with people.

My dearness! So much delicious food for thought in one post (jaw drops)!

I wish I had learnt to say no a lot sooner, that one is invaluable. (And, I sense a reluctance on the part of some parent's to tell their children 'no'. What a mistake! The Stones said it best: You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard...)

Your take on reading is admirable and creative. A good reminder even for adults (smile).

I have been thinking on your advice re: jobs, since I first read it. Seems so common sense but the emphasis is often on acquiring through a career, rather than enjoyment of one.

I hope we get a chance to talk more if this is indicative of how your mind works!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My classes would be ...

1. Math - everyone has to know basics of mathematics and how to measure and calculate basic things such as lenghts or interest rates

2. Hard sciences - I would be quite demanding here since society that doesn't understand basic scientific principles has no chance of working properly in the technological society of 21th century. This is simply impossible goal without understanding science .

3. Literature, philosphy art - I would implement this to develope reading skills and abstract reasoning/wisdom, in order that students can develope ideas on their own.

4. Social structuring - How social structures work, why they are getting education in the first place, basics of law and politics so that they become resistant to brainwashing, history with emphasis on principles instead of countless facts

5. Computer science - everything regarding computers and internet

6. Basics of being healthy and safe - basics of medicine, why healthy food matters, learning how to train and maintain body, self-defense, basics of sex, reproduction and STDs

7. Organisation and planning - class about how get stuff done on time and what is realistic and what is not in terms of planning

8. Geography - people in globalized world need to know how world looks like and functions just as well as they know they neighbourhood

Plus I would make sure that there is support staff that pays attention and solves problems with students who do poorly because of some external reason.
This is basic structure, today you simply can't have good eduction without those 8 subjects and support.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To all those who might not understand the prevalence of homophobia, sexism, racism, subculture and cultute hate. I'd tell them people have differences. Get over it.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
My classes would be ...

1. Math - everyone has to know basics of mathematics and how to measure and calculate basic things such as lenghts or interest rates

2. Hard sciences - I would be quite demanding here since society that doesn't understand basic scientific principles has no chance of working properly in the technological society of 21th century. This is simply impossible goal without understanding science .

3. Literature, philosphy art - I would implement this to develope reading skills and abstract reasoning/wisdom, in order that students can develope ideas on their own.

4. Social structuring - How social structures work, why they are getting education in the first place, basics of law and politics so that they become resistant to brainwashing, history with emphasis on principles instead of countless facts

5. Computer science - everything regarding computers and internet

6. Basics of being healthy and safe - basics of medicine, why healthy food matters, learning how to train and maintain body, self-defense, basics of sex, reproduction and STDs

7. Organisation and planning - class about how get stuff done on time and what is realistic and what is not in terms of planning

8. Geography - people in globalized world need to know how world looks like and functions just as well as they know they neighbourhood

Plus I would make sure that there is support staff that pays attention and solves problems with students who do poorly because of some external reason.
This is basic structure, today you simply can't have good eduction without those 8 subjects and support.

I'd contribute to your plan fo shure! I really value your inclusion of practical aspects(#4,6,7), not just academic (smile).

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll just let the little terrorists run around.