• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Lessons/Principles Should be Taught to the Youth of Today?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agree with his thoughts?

Nope, not really. He's basically saying stay inside the lines but be in individual at the same time. It comes off contradicting.

What do you think it's most important for kids to be taught, to create a stellar future generation?

If you aren't a parent, what WOULD you want to impart? Or, what DO you like to teach the kids that are a part of your life?

Learning how to effectively communicate your expectations and needs, and not get upset when others do it too.

Also, to listen to their own internal guidance system. Not someone else's.

Mole

Permabanned
Can't tell if this is serious.

It is as serious a life and death, as Socrates was put to death by the good people of Athens for publicly and openly teaching young people how to think rather than what to think.

How the good people of Athens hated Socrates, just as I am reviled here for openly and publicly teaching young people how to think. This is an offence against American popular culture, an offence against petty bourgeois values, and profoundly an offence against self esteem.

It has always struck me as odd that I am relentlessly criticised here for teaching.

But Socrates received the ultimate criticism of teaching, death.

It is odd that the appropriate response to teaching is gratitude, so death as a response to teaching is inappropriate and a sign of psychopathology.

Mole

Permabanned
As a youth I was taught lessons and principles by my chaplain. He taught us Thomas's proofs of God's existence. I wrote out refutations of each proof and showed them to my chaplain. He gave me a good lesson and that was the important thing was not to think but to be good.

So I am a good boy. How we long to be good, if we are good, we are safe, we long for the approval of authority, and indeed some of us aspire to be authorities ourselves.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
The beauty of Western philosophy is that is doesn't teach what to think, but rather how to think.

So Western philosophy does not teach lessons or principles but rather how to think about lessons and principles.

And it was Socrates 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece who taught us how to think, rather than what to think.

But it is plain today that we have regressed and can see no further than what to think.

And the greatest sign of an unthinking mind is one which makes generalized assumptions about a place so expansive, with so many people, cultures/baclground and ecosystems as" The Western world."

This is ignoring the fallacy if the term " Western world".

LEGERdeMAIN

It is as serious a life and death, as Socrates was put to death by the good people of Athens for publicly and openly teaching young people how to think rather than what to think. How the good people of Athens hated Socrates, just as I am reviled here for openly and publicly teaching young people how to think. This is an offence against American popular culture, an offence against petty bourgeois values, and profoundly an offence against self esteem. It has always struck me as odd that I am relentlessly criticised here for teaching. But Socrates received the ultimate criticism of teaching, death. It is odd that the appropriate response to teaching is gratitude, so death as a response to teaching is inappropriate and a sign of psychopathology.
Where are you teaching people to think? How are you teaching people to think?

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just because youre the youngest doesn't mean im going to spoil your ass.
Just because youre the oldest doesn't mean youre the more mature. If the younger one is more mature then you I WILL treat the two of you differently.

Im your mother. No means no. You will have rights once you file your taxes as "independent "

Go to school. I dont care which career you choose afterward. As long as you get an education doing it.

I will smack you with a shovel if i see you doing any drugs. Except marry jane.

You arent allowed to date until you are 18. Because I said so. Dont like it there is a door.

Communicate with me with words. Always.

Thoes are my hard rules.

I work as a nanny and the kids are good. But the parents dont like being firm with thier kids. And im a firm gal. So its a struggle.

Mole

Permabanned
Where are you teaching people to think? How are you teaching people to think?

I have been advocating the high level skill of critical thinking from the word go. As well I have been demonstrating critical thinking, which has earned me the relentless hatred of the bien pensant.

As well I have been relentless in pointing out critical thinking is the basis of higher level learning, and also that learning requires cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. No wonder they would like to get rid of me.

Mole

Permabanned
And the greatest sign of an unthinking mind is one which makes generalized assumptions about a place so expansive, with so many people, cultures/baclground and ecosystems as" The Western world."

This is ignoring the fallacy if the term " Western world".

Alas there are three great civilisations extant today; the Chinese civilisation, the Indian civilisation, and the Western civilisation. The Western civilisation is three thousand years old and has given us the modern world.

There are those who hate Western civilisation, and those Westerners who hate themselves, who denigrate and diminish Western civilisation.

Nevertheless Western civilisation has the greatest effect on the world than any other. And Western civilisation is alive and growing and developing every day.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The most valuable currency in the world is time: learn to say "no".

To lose and win gracefully.

If one hates their job it is better to resign than allow it to make them ill: no job is better than a bad job.

Sometimes only one can help themselves: mummy and daddy will not always be there to help one.

Surround oneself with positive people: cut out anyone from life who undermines ones dreams.

Learn everyday and embrace what ones life is trying to teach them.; learn from the things what go well and learn from the things that go wrong.

If one can not find a way to retire then it is best that they find a job which allows then to do would do anyway if they were unemployed; If one like wasting their time on the Internet get a job as an administrative assistant, if one likes meeting weirdos become a psychiatrist, if one wants to write a book on a obscure subject then become an academic anthropologist, if one like eating food then become a chef. if one likes talking then become a politician or car salesman, and if they like drinking tea then get a job at Starbucks.

Read everyday: read everything one can, do not just read about things one knows about, read about people, read other people's behaviour, read about oneself, read those animals, read the flowers, read all the trees, read the sun, read the stars, and read the world!!!

Be kind to oneself, have coping mechanisms. and reward oneself.

Empathy is the key to connecting with people.

Actually, a bad job is better than no job.

LEGERdeMAIN

I have been advocating the high level skill of critical thinking from the word go. As well I have been demonstrating critical thinking, which has earned me the relentless hatred of the bien pensant. As well I have been relentless in pointing out critical thinking is the basis of higher level learning, and also that learning requires cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. No wonder they would like to get rid of me.

Oh, did they ban you from t16t ?

Lark

I have been advocating the high level skill of critical thinking from the word go. As well I have been demonstrating critical thinking, which has earned me the relentless hatred of the bien pensant.

As well I have been relentless in pointing out critical thinking is the basis of higher level learning, and also that learning requires cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. No wonder they would like to get rid of me.

And Mole, what if this is all personal hubris and narcissism? What if by "critical thinking" you simply mean "thinking as I do about things" and arent prepared to see that for what it is?

Lark

Alas there are three great civilisations extant today; the Chinese civilisation, the Indian civilisation, and the Western civilisation. The Western civilisation is three thousand years old and has given us the modern world.

There are those who hate Western civilisation, and those Westerners who hate themselves, who denigrate and diminish Western civilisation.

Nevertheless Western civilisation has the greatest effect on the world than any other. And Western civilisation is alive and growing and developing every day.

Sounds like nationalism, the whole of human civilisation is always going to be more worthy than any of its parts, including the conflict between them.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you think it's most important for kids to be taught, to create a stellar future generation?
Life is hard, that's what makes it rewarding. Don't stress about stupid questions like "what is the meaning of life" or "what is my purpose" - create meaning for others, add value to others' lives and your purpose will become apparent.

If you aren't a parent, what WOULD you want to impart? Or, what DO you like to teach the kids that are a part of your life?

Exactly as above. Also that self-confidence, and knowing who you are, comes from making promises to yourself and taking action. Make solid, detailed, plans. Try every option. Every failure is a step forwards, and every experience adds to the richness of your own life. Be willing to give up who you think you are right now for who you're going to become. The story that you tell you about yourself determines your attitude when you're tired and want to settle or give up. Tell a good story about your own strength and fortitude. Cheer your own effort. Never call yourself a victim. Forgive yourself for not being perfect, but never make excuses for not keeping your promises to yourself.

That's basically how I try to guide my students.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
If one hates their job it is better to resign than allow it to make them ill: no job is better than a bad job.

Actually, a bad job is better than no job.

Yeah, bad jobs are brilliant. Just imagine all that increased mental wellbeing, productivity, competitiveness, and social inclusiveness of forcing people to stay in jobs which make them ill. It will enable a more capable person to fill their job by acting as a filtering system, once they go bang and get signed off work for a very long time. Thereby, freeing up the time to allow one to achieve their individual personal quest to reach a personal nirvana in the workplace and save the public money in disability payments instead of unemployment benefits; a win-win for all involved. :shrug:

I don't think principles like these can be really taught in the traditional way or it will likely be meaningless until the person is thrown into the situation for themselves and has to become who they will be. With that in mind I think it would be better to set challenges for kids that increase their endurance, wisdom, tranquility, capacity to reflect, concentration, harmony, diligence, perseverance, etc

Mole

Permabanned
And Mole, what if this is all personal hubris and narcissism? What if by "critical thinking" you simply mean "thinking as I do about things" and arent prepared to see that for what it is?

My interest is not in what to think but how to think.

I studied Ancient Greek philosophy and in particular the philosophy of Socrates in the Philosophy Department of Sydney University, click on philosophy department Sydney university - Google Search

An interesting question would be: what would Socrates say about mbti?

Mole

Permabanned
Oh, did they ban you from t16t ?

Mbti teaches you not only what to think but also gives you a jargon in which to think. And mbti is the repetition of mbti jargon. It is the antithesis of the Socratic Method and critical thinking.

And yet members cling to mbti and identify with it, and defend it as they defend their own ego.

Mole

Permabanned
Socrates was sentenced to death for corrupting the youth of Athens.

Why was he sentenced to death?

He was sentenced to death for refusing to teach the youth of Athens lessons and principles. Instead he taught the youth of Athens how to think rather than what to think.

And by failing to teach the youth of Athens what to think, he was charged with corrupting the youth of Athens and sentenced to death in the traditional Greek way.