User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I would tell them that networking is pretty important early on.
    Do you mean social networking here, Os?

So happifying! @SpankyMcFly

Easy right? No it isnt, but everything I show and teach them reduces to self reliance. From teaching them confidence and in the process imparting upon them the model they can use for themselves in the future, to self discipline to learning to think more critically and outside the box to making them more self aware of their emotional state of mind and to overcome fears. I focus on giving them tools vs. the how.
    I appreciate how you say it isn't easy. Parenting effectively is no joke and many rewards come years after the initial outlay of hard work and resources.

I liked everything you laid out and think it's a great 'manual'. I also really enjoyed this:

When you make the mundane fun by making it a game or you positively incentivize your kids and combined with the tools you give them they end up doing all the heavy lifting of figuring things out with minimal need for me to 'tell' them. All I do is guide, usually by asking them questions. Therefore the conclusions they draw are their 'own' and they are more likely to internalize them.
    The BEST way of teaching.

Start young.
    Yes! Kids are so often under-estimated. What they can be taught from a young age is mind-blowing. It's easier to refine: when responsible lessons have already transferred into customs & habits.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Do you mean social networking here, Os?
    Yes, but not necessarily in an internet sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Yes, but not necessarily in an internet sense.
    More IRL application, as in networking in friend & business circles?

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    That education matters, even if you don't think so, and it's a community effort, not just an individual effort.

This generation seems to get this more than the others in the past which is fantastic, but it's still not enough and hasn't reached every area yet. We have a long way to go.
    Love the emphasis on community @Hard. It takes a 'village to raise a child' AND to educate one as well!
    Likes Hard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    The most valuable currency in the world is time: learn to say "no".

To lose and win gracefully.

If one hates their job it is better to resign than allow it to make them ill: no job is better than a bad job.

Sometimes only one can help themselves: mummy and daddy will not always be there to help one.

Surround oneself with positive people: cut out anyone from life who undermines ones dreams.

Learn everyday and embrace what ones life is trying to teach them.; learn from the things what go well and learn from the things that go wrong.

If one can not find a way to retire then it is best that they find a job which allows then to do would do anyway if they were unemployed; If one like wasting their time on the Internet get a job as an administrative assistant, if one likes meeting weirdos become a psychiatrist, if one wants to write a book on a obscure subject then become an academic anthropologist, if one like eating food then become a chef. if one likes talking then become a politician or car salesman, and if they like drinking tea then get a job at Starbucks.

Read everyday: read everything one can, do not just read about things one knows about, read about people, read other people's behaviour, read about oneself, read those animals, read the flowers, read all the trees, read the sun, read the stars, and read the world!!!

Be kind to oneself, have coping mechanisms. and reward oneself.

Empathy is the key to connecting with people.
    My dearness! So much delicious food for thought in one post (jaw drops)!

I wish I had learnt to say no a lot sooner, that one is invaluable. (And, I sense a reluctance on the part of some parent's to tell their children 'no'. What a mistake! The Stones said it best: You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard...)

Your take on reading is admirable and creative. A good reminder even for adults (smile).

I have been thinking on your advice re: jobs, since I first read it. Seems so common sense but the emphasis is often on acquiring through a career, rather than enjoyment of one.

I hope we get a chance to talk more if this is indicative of how your mind works!
    Likes Falcarius liked this post

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp

My classes would be ...

1. Math - everyone has to know basics of mathematics and how to measure and calculate basic things such as lenghts or interest rates

2. Hard sciences - I would be quite demanding here since society that doesn't understand basic scientific principles has no chance of working properly in the technological society of 21th century. This is simply impossible goal without understanding science .

3. Literature, philosphy art - I would implement this to develope reading skills and abstract reasoning/wisdom, in order that students can develope ideas on their own.

4. Social structuring - How social structures work, why they are getting education in the first place, basics of law and politics so that they become resistant to brainwashing, history with emphasis on principles instead of countless facts

5. Computer science - everything regarding computers and internet

6. Basics of being healthy and safe - basics of medicine, why healthy food matters, learning how to train and maintain body, self-defense, basics of sex, reproduction and STDs

7. Organisation and planning - class about how get stuff done on time and what is realistic and what is not in terms of planning

8. Geography - people in globalized world need to know how world looks like and functions just as well as they know they neighbourhood

Plus I would make sure that there is support staff that pays attention and solves problems with students who do poorly because of some external reason.
    This is basic structure, today you simply can't have good eduction without those 8 subjects and support.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Rasofy liked this post

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

To all those who might not understand the prevalence of homophobia, sexism, racism, subculture and cultute hate. I'd tell them people have differences. Get over it.
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)
    House: Slytherin
    ENTP-Ti / Logical

9w8, 5w4, 3w4 sx/so

In theory: the wings create a strong 4ish imprint

How fascinating the mind is.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    My classes would be ...

1. Math - everyone has to know basics of mathematics and how to measure and calculate basic things such as lenghts or interest rates

2. Hard sciences - I would be quite demanding here since society that doesn't understand basic scientific principles has no chance of working properly in the technological society of 21th century. This is simply impossible goal without understanding science .

3. Literature, philosphy art - I would implement this to develope reading skills and abstract reasoning/wisdom, in order that students can develope ideas on their own.

4. Social structuring - How social structures work, why they are getting education in the first place, basics of law and politics so that they become resistant to brainwashing, history with emphasis on principles instead of countless facts

5. Computer science - everything regarding computers and internet

6. Basics of being healthy and safe - basics of medicine, why healthy food matters, learning how to train and maintain body, self-defense, basics of sex, reproduction and STDs

7. Organisation and planning - class about how get stuff done on time and what is realistic and what is not in terms of planning

8. Geography - people in globalized world need to know how world looks like and functions just as well as they know they neighbourhood

Plus I would make sure that there is support staff that pays attention and solves problems with students who do poorly because of some external reason.
    This is basic structure, today you simply can't have good eduction without those 8 subjects and support.
    I'd contribute to your plan fo shure! I really value your inclusion of practical aspects(#4,6,7), not just academic (smile).

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I'll just let the little terrorists run around.