• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Lessons/Principles Should be Taught to the Youth of Today?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When one is young....craving for freedom.....When we're young we don't know what freedom is......respecting oneself first and others.

Learning about oneself and personal human values. Having fun. Being creative. Question authority. Communication with oneself first. With others in a non-violent way.

Learn how to relax, how to observe, how to feel. Also, teaching why impulsive (or compulsive) judgement is so destructive. Learn french (because it is a beautiful language:sage:).

Listen to your dreams. Trust yourself. The same for adults. Anyway there are many young people who are much more mature than some old stuffs.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The school systems need to chill with the life lesson stuff and teach kids facts and practical skills. I had so many reoccurring social justice themes in school: usually diversity, environmental protection, good manners, sharing, etc. I hated all of it and it certainly didn't make me a better person. Teach what is objective and leave the rest up to each individual.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think it's most important for kids to be taught, to create a stellar future generation?

1) Lord loves a working man.
2) Don't trust whitey
3) See a doctor; get rid of it.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Real world applications. How to do your taxes. How to sew clothing. How to cook and how to clean without breaking the bank. How to use your manners around other people. How to balance a checkbook. Things like that. I am raised in a generation of "how do hell do i adult kek" and it sometimes infuriates me that my parents never really took the time to teach me real life lessons that could have prepared me after moving out of their house.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I probably won’t ever have kids, but if I did I hope I could instill these principles/values somehow (how I could instill them is something I'm far less sure of):
- You are not the center of the universe, nor do you live in a vacuum. Other people are just as real as you, so treat them like they matter. Be aware that your actions (or inaction) inevitably have consequences for others as well as yourself, while keeping the Golden Rule in mind.
- Be aware of and prepared for the world to be unfair and for some people to be selfish and unkind, but don’t give in to it by either becoming that way yourself or by being a pushover.
- Be responsible. Unless you have a very good reason not to, follow through on something once you have given your word. Also, take into account what the long-term consequences of an action are likely to be, both for yourself and others. It's okay to be spontaneous and impulsive at times, but also know when things should be taken seriously and don't get in the habit of choosing short-term satisfaction at the expense of your long-term development.
- Universal love. I hear so much about teaching self-esteem and self-love to children and far less about teaching them to be loving in general. Instead of overemphasizing feelings for the self, I think it's a better approach to encourage them to recognize a sacred, shared humanity in all people, including the self, and to therefore have a general concern and compassion for all. Basically, "love your neighbor as yourself" is a better message than simply "love yourself". (I think a lot of parents these days try to instill self-esteem by overpraising their kids/telling them they're special, but this just causes them to develop an unhealthy need for recognition as superior that undermines real self-esteem, which isn't reliant on feeling superior to others.)

Individuality and interconnectedness, and how they are complementary, not contradictory.
- Individuality (independent thinking, guiding your own development based on your own unique strengths and desires instead of trying to mold yourself after someone else, being in touch with yourself/self-aware.) NOT putting your own needs over others' or seeing yourself as more valuable and unique than others, because that's just narcissism and selfishness, not individuality.
- Interconnectedness: I hope I could teach them the importance of connection with others, being able to relate and empathize, even to see themselves as a small part of a greater whole and to want to use one’s individual strengths to enrich life for others who are part of the greater whole.

...Among others, but these were the ones that came to mind first.

As far as what I think kids should learn at school:
- One course in macroeconomics and at least one in civics and government should be required in high school, simply because basic knowledge of these subjects is needed to be a decently informed participant in a democracy.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Strength is found in lessening the pain in the world. No matter what happens we can still listen to someone who is alone, save a puppy, visit an elderly person. Even when we are sick, depressed, in poverty, we still have the power to make the world a little lighter.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Real world applications. How to do your taxes. How to sew clothing. How to cook and how to clean without breaking the bank. How to use your manners around other people. How to balance a checkbook. Things like that. I am raised in a generation of "how do hell do i adult kek" and it sometimes infuriates me that my parents never really took the time to teach me real life lessons that could have prepared me after moving out of their house.

I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not, but my high school had tons of classes like cooking, sewing, interpersonal relations, college + careers (basically an adulting class), not to mention a ton of work-study-ish programs for everything from business to early childhood education to welding to cyber security. These programs also counted for a buttload of free college credits. And I live in friggin Indiana, so I doubt that there are less opportunities in more progressive states.

I think the problem is not what isn't being taught; the problem is what is being forcibly taught. We have the 'pointless intellectualism' trinity in every high school and most colleges (math, history, and science). Unless you feel passionate about any of these subjects or want to have a career in one of those fields, there is very little practical application for solving long division problems, listing the battles of the Civil War, or knowing about mitosis. At least English classes teach kids to cite sources correctly and write in a way that makes them seem competent, but even those go over-the-top with boring literature. Oh, and at least one art or music class is mandatory for some reason. (And the art/music teachers are not at all tolerant of the kids who are "just in it for a credit," so half the time, they end up failing and having to take it more than once).

Honestly, I understand that teenagers are indecisive and lazy (especially since I was one until this year and those words still describe me perfectly). They might waste their time with 8 PE classes or put all their effort into one subject only to change their mind halfway through their senior year. But if we're going to make classes mandatory, why can't it be the classes which contain knowledge that everyone will inevitably use on a pretty much daily basis?

Lark

That its alright not to believe in any of the voguish, liberal, flash in the pan thinking that is being pushed hard by the media, politicians and the "cool kids", you dont need to hate anyone but you dont need to feel guilty for things you did not do personally, for who you are, for having feelings for that girl (if you're a boy) or for having feelings for that boy (if you're a girl), you dont need to be ashamed of the things you believe, your parents believe, your grandparents believed or any of them before that away down the years, that you have to be wary of all this not for some abstract, academic or even political reason but that there are people, and you are likely to encounter them, that'll seek to exploit your opinions and beliefs, if they discover you've got unpopular ones, to their advantage, maybe it'll be getting you thrown out of your job or in trouble with your boss, or maybe it'll be worse, black mail, setting thugs up to confront you or whatever.

Besides that I'd say its important to develop some other sorts of self-awareness too, while being conscious that if you do most other people wont have and you'll have to deal with the difficult of encountering their lack of awareness and the reality that they wont be told and wont become aware simply by attempts to tell them so.

And I'd give them a copy of Erich Fromm's Art of Being. I listen to it regularly in an audiobook format when I'm driving anyplace.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Random thoughts:

Don't underestimate the value of working hard on something over the long haul; there's often not a "quick way" around something, or an easy fix, you have to make incremental efforts daily (kind of like climbing up a mountain). This applies to careers, projects, relationships, financial investments, etc.

Sometimes you need the space of silence to figure something out, versus an ongoing stream of noise. Go away by yourself and/or shut all the noise down.

To want something, you have to desire it; and if you have too much already or keep feeding your need before you feel the need, you won't necessarily be driven to pursue what you want or even know what you want. Keep yourself a little hungry.

Value and invest in your friends and those amenable to you, versus throwing a lot of time and effort into relationships that the other person is not invested in or is negative about. (This is the "invest good money in good things, rather than throwing good money after bad" concept.) Real friends who are open to you might be few and far between, so value them.

Sometimes you'll feel like you have to respond to something or leap in over your head (like, when you're upset and want to retort); in most circumstances, it's better to let it sit and give it time to settle, THEN decide how you want to respond.

Don't spend a ton of time that doesn't serve your goals in some way. Think about what your goal is, then see how your choices align with your goals; then change your choices or change your goals.

Love is bred at least in part by familiarity, versus a silver-bullet "WOW!" moment.

The world changes; embrace it and discover more of yourself in the process.

Conversely, at core, I'm not sure people "change" fundamentally. And you can't make people change either. A lot of times, you need to determine whether you can deal with someone if they remain who you know them to be and go from there.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]

well said...

i find myself often thinking about the book of ecclesiastes... i think there is something to be said for the ideas presented within, and i would like instill those principles in my children (if i have any)...

excerpts from ecclesiastes

i will edit this to add more later... i was distracted and lost my train of thought...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A response:

from a Rapper to a request from a Teacher...

Agree with his thoughts?

What do you think it's most important for kids to be taught, to create a stellar future generation?

If you ARE a parent, what is most important for you to pass on? Do you think it's more important to impart wisdom or to teach by living as an example?

If you aren't a parent, what WOULD you want to impart? Or, what DO you like to teach the kids that are a part of your life?

If you are a youth, what do you wish you would get more practical help with?

To just realize you cannot control everything that happens to you. That part of life, a great part, is taking a lot of undeserved and deserved hits. It will be intrinsic nature to try to control. Sometimes, you have to know when to relax into life.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the dangers of political, religious, and ideological bigotry (for the most part, people will tend to only recognise the religious variety)
economy: banking system, keynesianism, an honest approach to the 1929 crisis
a no-bs approach to multiculturalism and its real effects on societies
the importance of freedom of speech, specially when it comes to academia
ethics: an aristotelian approach on virtue, the pitfalls of utilitarianism
geography and foreign affairs

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
A lot of bad SJW thought police advice in this thread, and a lot of good advice too. Knowing the difference between good advice and bad advice would be the first thing I'd suggest.

For my own personal contribution I would advise that kids learn to love and accept failure. To view it as a challenge- a time to step back, reevaluate the goal and approach, and keep trying until you're victorious. Accept it as inevitable, and don't let it get you down. Teach kids how it can motivate, not how it can discourage.

Also kindness and empathy, but that goes without saying.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Compassion. Humility. Willpower. Cooperation.

But those can't be taught to anyone. They have to be learned through experience.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Compassion. Humility. Willpower. Cooperation.

But those can't be taught to anyone. They have to be learned through experience.

Bedrock stuff Yama. Agreed!

Do you think that 'example' of the parents assists if they represent those qualities OR realistically: experience only?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Life is about living, experiencing, not obtaining useless junk you do not need.

GO.OUTSIDE. Experience the world beyo d tweets and likes.

Appreciate what you have. You are but a small spec in a world which owes you nothing.

Mole

Permabanned
The beauty of Western philosophy is that is doesn't teach what to think, but rather how to think.

So Western philosophy does not teach lessons or principles but rather how to think about lessons and principles.

And it was Socrates 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece who taught us how to think, rather than what to think.

But it is plain today that we have regressed and can see no further than what to think.

LEGERdeMAIN

The beauty of Western philosophy is that is doesn't teach what to think, but rather how to think.

So Western philosophy does not teach lessons or principles but rather how to think about lessons and principles.

And it was Socrates 3,000 years ago in Ancient Greece who taught us how to think, rather than what to think.

But it is plain today that we have regressed and can see no further than what to think.

Can't tell if this is serious.