• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Morality and Logic

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a game.

Take the opposing view of one of your moral beliefs and make a convincing argument for why it's right.

Ready?

Set.

GO!

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Slightly OT: For some reason it's always easier for me to argue what I don't believe than what I do believe...why is that?

Okay anyway...

*begins building argument*

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Are you ENFP?

Anyway, I'll only chip in if I feel like it *doesn't follow rules*. I often find myself in debates for some stupid reason, and I could usually do a much better job arguing against my own position than my opponent is doing. Makes the whole thing seem pointless.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you ENFP?

Anyway, I'll only chip in if I feel like it *doesn't follow rules*. I often find myself in debates for some stupid reason, and I could usually do a much better job arguing against my own position than my opponent is doing. Makes the whole thing seem pointless.

Nah I'm not an ENFP. I get along slpendidly with them though. <3

Wait what? What about following rules?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
You should always respect your society and it rules, because they exist for a reason. They exist for your well-being. You should be glad to have grown up in a welfare society. You didn't have to pay for school, you get free medical services and you have almost total freedom in your life. To show your gratitude you need to work hard until you are sixty.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
You should always respect your society and it rules, because they exist for a reason. They exist for your well-being. You should be glad to have grown up in a welfare society. You didn't have to pay for school, you get free medical services and you have almost total freedom in your life. To show your gratitude you need to work hard until you are sixty.

Where the hell do you live?

redacted

Hmm, this is an impossible exercise for me.

The only moral stance I really have is that everyone should be 100% hedonistic (factoring in long-term goals/social consequences and everything else).

Kin-selection should take care of everything else.

ygolo

My termites win
Convincing to who exactly?

An argument against my beliefs:

Lying, cheating, and stealing is perfectly moral general practice, as long as the liar, cheater, or stealer doesn't get caught.

If one lies and no one knows, those who were deceived deserved the deception due to lack of discernment.

If one cheats and is not caught, the system has flaws and ought to be exploited.

If one steals without being identified as the culprit, then, like when cheating has no consequence, the system has flaws and should be exploited.

We should after-all only do what is best for ourselves.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My belief: You should love your neighbor as yourself.

My argument: You should love yourself more than anyone else. This will build confidence and make you successful. Don't look out for anyone else. If you just look out for yourself, then everyone else will too. Then because of competition everyone will reach their maximum ability of competence. The selfish world will build the most efficient world.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Where the hell do you live?

Finland. How did you find it so weird? All the countries rely on their people to work hard, buy stuff and pay taxes. My real opinion on this obviously is that if they talk about freedom and the people are running the same circle from a generation to generation, they are not in fact as free as they think.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Hierarchical theocratic systems lead to stable governments. Meritocracy is to be discouraged because it upsets social order and a lifetime directed toward a specific goal based on social class leads to more efficient results for the welfare of society than a lifetime centered around the frivolous pursuit of personal pleasure. Granting individual liberty to your citizens lessens the control a theocratic monarch has over his empire. Also, boobs are nothing more than fat mammary glands and hot sauce sucks.