• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Critical Thinking and Self Respect

Mole

Permabanned
There is no dignity is swallowing everything like a goldfish, but there is dignity in critical thinking.

Another word for dignity is self respect, and those without dignity lack self respect, in fact they disrespect themselves and so it is natural for them to disrespect others.

But we can regain our dignity and self respect by learning to think critically. And we have the perfect opportunity here to learn to think critically about MBTI. The genuine name of Typology Central is MBTI Central, so in learning to think critically about MBTI, we are learning to genuinely think critically.

We could attend a university course that teaches critical thinking, almost any Philosophy 101 will teach critical thinking; or we can find a role model who is a practised critical thinker.

If we haven't yet learnt to think critically, it can be difficult to recognise a critical thinker, but as we ourselves start to practise critical thinking, we start to recognise other critical thinkers.

One popular and relevant critical thinker is Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and we can find out how she thinks critically by reading her books. Of course there is no need to agree with Ayaan, what we are looking for is how to think critically.

I tend to fall in love with important writers and so I find it easy to learn from them. And when we find what is important to us, we tend to fall in love with more and more writers. So we continue to learn and grow.

MBTI is a powerful cult 75 years old, and it depends on vulnerable people taking it in without thinking about it critically.

Fortunately Typology Central practises freedom of speech, guaranteed by the American Constitution, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the Australian High Court, so this is the perfect place to practise critical thinking about MBTI.

But be warned, self respect doesn't come easily, because critical thinking is usually accompanied by cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. Also we find we are opposed by those who have embraced a lack of self respect and seek to share this with others.

So critical thinking is liberating.

Click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJThuYWUOM for critical thinking.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
In my experience, critical thinking leads to the conclusion that self-respect, self-love, and self-esteem are all based in delusion, for all but a few people.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
In my experience, critical thinking leads to the conclusion that self-respect, self-love, and self-esteem are all based in delusion, for all but a few people.

Arguable/depends. With critical thinking one can reevaluate one's goals to work within whatever system of reality they're constrained by. (Although with your problem in particular I think it's just a matter of thinking on it a little further maybe).

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
Arguable/depends. With critical thinking one can reevaluate one's goals to work within whatever system of reality they're constrained by. (Although with your problem in particular I think it's just a matter of thinking on it a little further maybe).

My particular problem? I was thinking of things like depressive realism and how a high opinion of oneself usually requires ignoring facts or downplaying problems...

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Depends on if one is using delusional interpretations of the term or not. I like the versions represented in Corinthians.

Mole

Permabanned
The marriage of critical thinking and creativity gives birth to new life based in reality.

And this marriage can give rise to exuberance.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The marriage of critical thinking and creativity gives birth to new life based in reality.

And this marriage can give rise to exuberance.

Well, that's what I am doing, and sounds about right to me.

Managed to find the correct mix, personally? Or still working at it?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Critical thinking can indeed help someone to determine when their self respect or self esteem is based on illusion. Taken the next step, though, it will then identify legitimate bases on which self-esteem may be solidly rebuilt.

This is simply another version of learning to know yourself, to identify your strengths and weaknesses.

Mole

Permabanned
The Psyche and the Social Group

If our psyche is damaged and damaging, and we belong to a damaged and damaging social group, we are in a double bind.

As we try to repair our psyche, we are tripped up by our social group; and if we try to reform our social group, we are tripped up by our psyche.

And being damaged we look around for social support, we look around for those just like ourselves, we look for damaged psyches in damaging social groups.

And with damaged psyches we are unable to individuate, so we identify with our social group, and we defend our social group against anyone who seeks to reform it.

We are in a double bind, it seems warm and cosy and accepting while it hypnotises us by sending us in a never ending circle. How can we possibly wake up?

Mole

Permabanned

We sacrifice self respect in order to belong. Then we seek to justify our lack of self respect, and perversely we enlist critical thinking to show self respect is a delusion.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Y'all seem to be talking about the "*double chest beat* yo! Respect, dawg!" versions of self-respect, self-love, and self-esteem. That's the crazy people version of those things, not the real version that normal and sane people use.

Self-respect is about not lowering yourself beneath your basic rights to please others opinions, views, or wants. It is about having the integrity and dignity of self to not demean one's own best self.

Self-love is about being kind, nurturing, and forgiving of one's own inevitable flaws and missteps.

Self-esteem is about solidarity of your own existence and life in the presence of the world. Knowing that you have value to the world around you, and that the world is blessed to have you, as you are so blessed to have the world.

They are virtues, not vices. If they strike you as vices, you're confused about what they actually are, and, no, someone calling ideas or notions these things does not make them these things; it makes them equally confused.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
ix5sm0.jpg

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Y'all seem to be talking about the "*double chest beat* yo! Respect, dawg!" versions of self-respect, self-love, and self-esteem. That's the crazy people version of those things, not the real version that normal and sane people use.

Self-respect is about not lowering yourself beneath your basic rights to please others opinions, views, or wants. It is about having the integrity and dignity of self to not demean one's own best self.

Self-love is about being kind, nurturing, and forgiving of one's own inevitable flaws and missteps.

Self-esteem is about solidarity of your own existence and life in the presence of the world. Knowing that you have value to the world around you, and that the world is blessed to have you, as you are so blessed to have the world.

They are virtues, not vices. If they strike you as vices, you're confused about what they actually are, and, no, someone calling ideas or notions these things does not make them these things; it makes them equally confused.

In your earlier post you made a reference to the Corinthians, I wonder if you could inform me which verses exactly, as I'm curious.

What you say about 'the world' is troublesome to me on doctrinal grounds, but that isn't the topic of this thread, so I'll hold my tongue.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In your earlier post you made a reference to the Corinthians, I wonder if you could inform me which verses exactly, as I'm curious.

What you say about 'the world' is troublesome to me on doctrinal grounds, but that isn't the topic of this thread, so I'll hold my tongue.

Corinthians 13