• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fountainhead

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Outside of a couple strange, unusually high, years back in college, I've never been big into philosophy. And I've never studied any of Ayn Rand's stuff. I was talking to my youngest brother (a 17 year old INTP) about economics while watching football, today, and we diverged into philosophy, when I started explaining how I tend to look at all human decision making from an economic perspective. He told me that it reminded him quite a bit Ayn Rand and that I should read The Fountainhead.

So my questions are:

Is my brother full of shit?

Is this a book worth buying and reading?

Keep in mind, if it's super dry, like reading Kant, I'm gonna want to throw it out the window.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Outside of a couple strange, unusually high, years back in college, I've never been big into philosophy. And I've never studied any of Ayn Rand's stuff. I was talking to my youngest brother (a 17 year old INTP) about economics while watching football, today, and we diverged into philosophy, when I started explaining how I tend to look at all human decision making from an economic perspective. He told me that it reminded him quite a bit Ayn Rand and that I should read The Fountainhead.

So my questions are:

Is my brother full of shit?

Is this a book worth buying and reading?

Keep in mind, if it's super dry, like reading Kant, I'm gonna want to throw it out the window.

It's probably Rand's best novel, and I think you would enjoy it, although I don't think you are/would be an Objectivist. Rand was a "radical for capitalism," as she put it, though. The book is all about striving to be the best example of humanity one can be (at least, the best according to Rand's standards).

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
According to Ayn Rand, satisfaction of ego and selfishness = the ideal.

Individualism. Objectivism.

I think its totally gross. But maybe interesting to think about, speculatively.

I can't remember if I read The Fountainhead specifically, but I did read a couple of her novels as a teenager and I don't remember them being dry or boring at all.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I read like half of it and I thought it was bullshit :laugh:

But really I didn't like it because using a novel to explain a philosophy is completely stupid on a very fundamental level; fiction is not the same as real life. The whole time I was reading it I thought that Roark was just sort of an asshole, rather than a brilliant revolutionary. He turned down perfectly good oportunities because it didn't fit his exact model of reality, even though they would have helped him. Nothing in that book, philosophically, I think, would have any bearing in reality. I just consider it fiction, really.

But it's possible I didn't get far enough into it to get to the part where maybe he actually does something reasonable and stops being a stubborn ass.

The philosophy is too extreme to work, too, regardless of the book and the philosophies presentation.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
its all bullshit.

she literally is quoted in an interview as saying that people who put friends and family above their work are being bad people.If you dont believe me it was in an interview she did with playboy and i found the article on the internet ( i swear i was searching for ayn rand and NOT playboy! haha...dont worry she didnt do any photos haha)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Ayn Rand is one of those people whose work might seem cool from a distance, but the closer you get, the more turned off you will usually get.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Ayn Rand is one of those people whose work might seem cool from a distance, but the closer you get, the more turned off you will usually get.

I share much of her politics, but Objectivism is so rigid that I just don't feel it. It doesn't speak to me. She was also a horrible person to be around, by almost all non-Objectivist fanboy accounts.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I share much of her politics, but Objectivism is so rigid that I just don't feel it. It doesn't speak to me. She was also a horrible person to be around, by almost all non-Objectivist fanboy accounts.

I can get into Objectivism, it makes sense when connected to vague concepts like "reality" and "knowledge" but when it tries to explain how society and politics should be, I just see her arguments as weak and so easily debatable.