• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do we live or die FOR?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
In some parts of the world it is necessary to know what (if anything) one would die for. In other parts it's more of an intellectual exercise...

But, it seems that while sometimes people focus on what they would die for, it can be more practically challenging to LIVE for things. To make simple life adjustments or stand strong/apart for things in day-to-day existence.

Do you know what you would die or what you live for? Do you think it matters? Do you think children are capable of deciding such things or adult reasoning is required?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
We live to reproduce and pass on our genes. Translated to layman's terms, sex and babies.

By contrast we don't die for anything. We just die.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I live because I was born and I'm still here because it's preferable to not being here. If I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know what I was missing so I wouldn't regret it (nor could I, since I wouldn't exist). But I was born, and now I do know what "living" is, so now it would be too hard to give that up.

Lots of people have a purpose to their life. Family, career, intellectual or artistic goals. I don't have any. I just live because I'm already here. That doesn't bother me.

I don't know what I'd die for. I suck at standing up for myself so I don't think I can say I'd die for the things I believe in. I know I would die for my best friend. I think that's about the only thing I can say for certain.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
We live to reproduce and pass on our genes. Translated to layman's terms, sex and babies.

By contrast we don't die for anything. We just die.

I am not sure if this is a difference in semantics or philosophy [MENTION=21639]Kullervo[/MENTION]. I have known people (family even) to die for or 'due to' not relinquishing principles.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I live because I was born and I'm still here because it's preferable to not being here. If I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know what I was missing so I wouldn't regret it (nor could I, since I wouldn't exist). But I was born, and now I do know what "living" is, so now it would be too hard to give that up.

Lots of people have a purpose to their life. Family, career, intellectual or artistic goals. I don't have any. I just live because I'm already here. That doesn't bother me.

I don't know what I'd die for. I suck at standing up for myself so I don't think I can say I'd die for the things I believe in. I know I would die for my best friend. I think that's about the only thing I can say for certain.

I can't relate to living without purpose but I find it beyond fascinating [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I can only hope to have friends such as you :)

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps if we live for something, we also die for it. You love something so much that you sacrifice yourself everyday for it. You give up your life over to it. Maybe :shrug:

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to have a lot of focus on having something to live for. I've always needed a purpose in life, something that would make all the challenges and depression worthwhile. It was usually a person, or a group with a person at the center. I was very strongly attracted to dominant/submissive relationships for this reason, because I needed someone or something to whom/which I could swear my loyalty. I'd live for my dominant significant other, and if you'd asked me back then, I absolutely would have said I'd take a bullet to save their life. I've also been attracted to formal hierarchy in the past (traditional martial arts classes, for example) for the same reason.

Right now, I don't know what I live for or what I would die for, and the more I think about that, the more it terrifies me. I feel as if I'm drifting into a void of meaninglessness.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know some people who definitely live for excitement, but would also die for excitement

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I live in order to learn and leave a mark, and would die for my family (I hope I don't have to, but I would if it came to it).

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I tell my students I'm all about the food. So I guess I live for food.:D And of course my family, to be more serious.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I live for the experience of life. At present, there is nothing I would die for.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I am not sure if this is a difference in semantics or philosophy [MENTION=21639]Kullervo[/MENTION]. I have known people (family even) to die for or 'due to' not relinquishing principles.

I can't figure out what I am really here for either, and it isn't for lack of trying. Attempts to find a single purpose have simply been unfruitful. I would rather not talk about what motivates me because that is a very personal question, and one for which I am also likely to be shat on if I shared my answers.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I live for living. Work to do, places to go, things to see, people to meet (maybe), new foods to try. I live for my family. I would die for them too, I don't fear it. I don't feel any urge to have a specific purpose in life - I want to be the best at what I choose to do and I want to do it all.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Perhaps if we live for something, we also die for it. You love something so much that you sacrifice yourself everyday for it. You give up your life over to it. Maybe :shrug:

This seems sage and I will think further on it [MENTION=21203]Grand Admiral Crunch[/MENTION]. Thanks for putting that thought forward!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I used to have a lot of focus on having something to live for. I've always needed a purpose in life, something that would make all the challenges and depression worthwhile. It was usually a person, or a group with a person at the center. I was very strongly attracted to dominant/submissive relationships for this reason, because I needed someone or something to whom/which I could swear my loyalty. I'd live for my dominant significant other, and if you'd asked me back then, I absolutely would have said I'd take a bullet to save their life. I've also been attracted to formal hierarchy in the past (traditional martial arts classes, for example) for the same reason.

Right now, I don't know what I live for or what I would die for, and the more I think about that, the more it terrifies me. I feel as if I'm drifting into a void of meaninglessness.

1st [MENTION=26919]EliaBlack[/MENTION] I am sorry for the current feeling of absence. The way you describe it sounds crushing and I am sorry for the experience. It means much to me that I am not the only one having thoughts on the topic.

May I ask, do you mean then that you have found the earlier pursuits of dominant/submissive relationships and hierarchy to be ultimately lacking in providing purpose?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I can't figure out what I am really here for either, and it isn't for lack of trying. Attempts to find a single purpose have simply been unfruitful. I would rather not talk about what motivates me because that is a very personal question, and one for which I am also likely to be shat on if I shared my answers.

Thanks for sharing what you did [MENTION=21639]Kullervo[/MENTION]. Harrumph! to the thought that your answers would be met with that kind of reaction though. The idealist in me wishes it wasn't so. The realist in me acknowledges it could be and respects your personal boundaries.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I live for living. Work to do, places to go, things to see, people to meet (maybe), new foods to try. I live for my family. I would die for them too, I don't fear it. I don't feel any urge to have a specific purpose in life - I want to be the best at what I choose to do and I want to do it all.

Sounds balanced [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] :)

Interesting how many people mention dying for their family!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I live in order to learn and leave a mark, and would die for my family (I hope I don't have to, but I would if it came to it).

Nice! [MENTION=26046]Dyslexxie[/MENTION] Ha! Food [MENTION=26289]Silent[/MENTION] Interesting that both of you and other's chose "family" as something worth dying for :)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I know some people who definitely live for excitement, but would also die for excitement

Good point [MENTION=22071]Hitoshi-San[/MENTION]! I know many who fit this bill also.

- - - Updated - - -

I live for the experience of life. At present, there is nothing I would die for.

Do you say "at present" to leave open the possibility [MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION]?