• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lent 2016

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Any of you folks have plans for Lent? Giving up anything? Taking on anything?

I'm signing up for my (Jesuit-affiliated) alma mater's Lenten meditation listserv, and trying this set of daily readings on iPhone/Kindle app, but other than that am still planning what I'm going to do.

Lark

I'm thinking of giving up TV, internet, DVDs, news and print media, all none religious or spiritual reading.

I'm considering drinking nothing but water for the duration of lent, tried last year and failed, did it a couple of years running a few years back.

Though I think lent should be about what you do rather than what you abstain from, if that makes sense, so I'm going to step up my physical training, meditation and prayer.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any of you folks have plans for Lent? Giving up anything? Taking on anything?

I'm signing up for my (Jesuit-affiliated) alma mater's Lenten meditation listserv, and trying this set of daily readings on iPhone/Kindle app, but other than that am still planning what I'm going to do.
I am *seriously* considering giving up almost all internet browsing...ironically enough, to include this site. No offense meant.
Perhaps if I put the time to better use on exercise (with St. Paul, "I pummel my body and subdue it") or on devotional reading...suggestions welcome, by the way, from
either Church Fathers or Orthodox or Catholic faith... I don't think Augustine's :shrug: is devotional enough...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never liked the idea of "giving up" for Lent. I prefer "putting out" instead: doing something extra to help others, or to better ourselves. Not that I observe Lent particularly as a non-Christian, but it is as good a time as any to (1) get back to my exercise class, and (2) take on some self-improvement reading that has come to my attention.

Also, I have accepted a short-term organ sub assignment, so will be playing through much of the Lent/Easter season. Music is always good.