• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Too many idealists

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, if there are too many, then presumably the answer is yes.

Now, how many idealists are too many?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To some extent, especially when idealists' deepest values are the exact opposite of those of other idealists. Take the issue of abortion for example. A pro-life idealist claims that they can't possibly claim why anyone would ever want to take the life of an innocent, helpless baby, and that anyone who disagrees or doesn't care must be heartless and evil. A pro-choice idealist claims that they can't understand why anyone would ever want to put an underage girl, rape victim, or any woman at all through the extreme discomfort of pregnancy and childbirth, as well as the lifelong responsibility of caring for an unplanned child, and that anyone who disagrees or doesn't care must be heartless and evil. The two idealists argue forever, each of them seeing the other as a cold-hearted monster when, in reality, they both believe that they are doing the right thing.
However, if we didn't have idealists, life would kinda suck. Realists tend to accept things the way they are, so a world full of realists is a world without change. Then again, I'm extremely biased and I would love for all the idealists I don't agree with to be silenced. At least I can admit it.

Alternative answer: We get it; you don't like NFs.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I think realist romantic people are more likely to bring change.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
To some extent, especially when idealists' deepest values are the exact opposite of those of other idealists. Take the issue of abortion for example. A pro-life idealist claims that they can't possibly claim why anyone would ever want to take the life of an innocent, helpless baby, and that anyone who disagrees or doesn't care must be heartless and evil. A pro-choice idealist claims that they can't understand why anyone would ever want to put an underage girl, rape victim, or any woman at all through the extreme discomfort of pregnancy and childbirth, as well as the lifelong responsibility of caring for an unplanned child, and that anyone who disagrees or doesn't care must be heartless and evil. The two idealists argue forever, each of them seeing the other as a cold-hearted monster when, in reality, they both believe that they are doing the right thing.
However, if we didn't have idealists, life would kinda suck. Realists tend to accept things the way they are, so a world full of realists is a world without change. Then again, I'm extremely biased and I would love for all the idealists I don't agree with to be silenced. At least I can admit it.

Idealists are useless though, in what ways does it benifit to be an idealist if you are going to sit back and do nothing about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if there are too many, then presumably the answer is yes.

Now, how many idealists are too many?

1 too many.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically I would say too much of anything would create unbalance to the society, we need idealists as much as we need realists..
The toxicity would depend on how extreme would we go with your ideals..
I'm an idealist by type but trying to be as much realistic and open as possible so I can form more reasonable and acceptable views

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are too many idealists instead of realists toxic to society?
Evidently, human biology says yes. I read somewhere that (among Americans, at least) the percentage of extraverts vs. introverts is something like 48% to 52%. The percentages are roughly equal on the F/T axis and the J/P axis as well. The N/S axis is quite different. Only about 26% of us are Ns. The other 74% are Ss. Something in our genetic makeup says we need more Ss than Ns, and the Ns tend to be head-in-the-clouds idealists, whereas Ss tend to be practical, down-to-earth, and much more concerned with making the world we have work (as opposed to dreaming of a better world). So, I'd say yes. Too many idealists would probably prove toxic to our society if not also to the human race as a whole. Somebody needs to do the world's work. Ns (for the most part) find that work mundane and a waste of our mental energy, but it still needs to be done. We'd all starve to death if the world were full of Ns.

Crabs

Permabanned
I assume we're talking about idealism in the general sense and not specifically in regards to typology. Realistic idealism can be a powerful force for progress. I use that term in the literal sense, as well, and not in reference to the political movement which labels all of its ideas as "progressive."

What is toxic to society is unrealistic idealism, like passifism for example; it's just not congruent with reality. Neither is opening a country's borders to anyone who wants to walk in without detrimental consequences to that nation's security and economy. Expecting gun-free zones to keep people safe from armed criminals who disregard the law is also an unrealistic ideal.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I assume we're talking about idealism in the general sense and not specifically in regards to typology. Realistic idealism can be a powerful force for progress. I use that term in the literal sense, as well, and not in reference to the political movement which labels all of its ideas as "progressive."

What is toxic to society is unrealistic idealism, like passifism for example; it's just not congruent with reality. Neither is opening a country's borders to anyone who wants to walk in without detrimental consequences to that nation's security and economy. Expecting gun-free zones to keep people safe from armed criminals who disregard the law is also an unrealistic ideal.

I rarely see how idealism by itaelf is beneficial. Like you said in order for idealism to work you need some realism with it.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Too many bitches
Not enough hoes

:cry:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Idealists are useless though, in what ways does it benifit to be an idealist if you are going to sit back and do nothing about it?

We form high principles and visions , we pursue them, people believe in us, the society changes
That is very useless alright!!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
but there are about a zillion different brands of idealism out there... which particular type are we speaking about here? :huh:

without having a better vision of the future to work towards and happier expectations for it why should we even bother with this whole living thing anyway? to enjoy the post-apocalyptic wastelands or the joy of dying from radiation poisoning that the less idealistic movies and tv shows portray the future as? :shock:

jixmixfix

Permabanned

NFs are OK that's not really what I meant anyway. More along the lines of noticing the amount of people who are very ideologically driven instead of viewing reality for what it is.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Their ideas (and ideals) can at least influence others, who could take them and run with them.

That's not the end-all, be-all, but that's their potential impact.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Evidently, human biology says yes. I read somewhere that (among Americans, at least) the percentage of extraverts vs. introverts is something like 48% to 52%. The percentages are roughly equal on the F/T axis and the J/P axis as well. The N/S axis is quite different. Only about 26% of us are Ns. The other 74% are Ss. Something in our genetic makeup says we need more Ss than Ns, and the Ns tend to be head-in-the-clouds idealists, whereas Ss tend to be practical, down-to-earth, and much more concerned with making the world we have work (as opposed to dreaming of a better world). So, I'd say yes. Too many idealists would probably prove toxic to our society if not also to the human race as a whole. Somebody needs to do the world's work. Ns (for the most part) find that work mundane and a waste of our mental energy, but it still needs to be done. We'd all starve to death if the world were full of Ns.
making the world we have work is a better world. If you look at all the damage idealism has done in this world.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs are OK that's not really what I meant anyway. More along the lines of noticing the amount of people who are very ideologically driven instead of viewing reality for what it is.

1) If you view it as is and decide not to change it, you are flirting with nihilism.

2) If you view the world as is and think it can be improved upon in small measures, you are flirting with idealism. One may not need to change the entire world to be an idealist but just unsatisfied with the status quo.