• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why insulting groups of people is irrational even if they are inferior.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
One justification for people to insult groups of people because they're inferior. They're not status worthy. However, it's absurd to degrade a person even if they were not held in high regard. Nobody in the right mind would agree it's morally correct to go around town and degrade homeless people who are drug addicts. They never bother anyone and kept to themselves. Using justification because they're inferior is cleverly cloaked to disguise their dislike or something they don't like.

Since people are asking for an example, here's one.

"I hate black people. I hate n*****. They deserve to be relocated."
"Why are you insulting them? What justification do your insults have?"
" Blacks are inferior."

My example doesn't even have to be with black people. It can be towards any groups of people. One of the most common justification for insulting groups of people like gays or Muslims is because they're inferior.

Last edited:

á´…eparted

passages
Insulting people because they're inferior is wrong.

However, if individuals who are regarded as inferior are doing things that are harmful and those harmful things are the qualifiers for being inferior, then it's fair game. At that point, you'll be insulting them for things they are doing. The fact that it's inferior is merely a conincidence.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not productive, though - or rather, not to solve the problem. All it does is give one a temporary fix of feeling superior, feeling like you've doing something 'right' and validate your own existence. In essence, you've found a useful coping mechanism and a pleasure fix for yourself.

It doesn't address their problem or society's problem. On the contrary. That kind of shit just pushes people who are already knee-deep into it, further down. It just adds to the shame the keeps them trapped as it is. And, it doesn't cost us much time and/or commitment. Actually addressing the problem would require both and tons of it. It would likely cost an investment of months - even years. And yet, we somehow expect people who are clearly unable to do this stuff themselves - often due to lack of belief in themselves - to pull themselves out of that mess and put in that kind of investment in themselves, while not believing in themselves in the first place, with NOBODY actually showing them how to do that or even being willing to invest in them the way they expect those people to invest in themselves. Oh, and do it quick please, we don't have months and/or years of understanding that you need to relearn, reinvest, re-adapt and do painful conscious growth with zero resources because you're inconveniencing a society who could care less about you, except for you getting with the program already.

So, sure, insulting is way more tempting instead of actually doing something constructive. :shrug:

The sad truth is that nobody wants that investment because of the huge costs involved - including the individual themselves. And who can blame them, really.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess it depends on insult. Inferior who think they are superior should be knocked back down...put up or shut up. Now those who know their place should not be insulted. I don't like the meaning of inferior or superior either. We all have strengths and weaknesses, combine the with desires how do you even judge inferior? Is a humble happy person more inferior then a rich stuck up snob? Or what about 2 humble people one rich, one poor, but both happy and content.

Like I said...put up or shut up. The inferior people are the ones who are more talk then they are capable. They create their inferiority complex.

I am more likely to judge a rich ass hole as an inferior then a poor courteous janitor.

Jaspii

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I agree with you great_bay; Not only is insulting inferiorities absurd, but it often has an effect opposite to the one desired as it lowers self-esteem. Instead of giving them another thing to make them feel terrible about themselves, maybe we should help them see their potential.

It's like that with pretty much everything though, people seem to default to punishment and negativity as if it's the best way to solve a problem, but it's seldom ever good for a long term solution.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
When I made the thread, what I had in mind is people degrading groups of people such as gays and Muslims. Some justification people had is because they're inferior.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One justification for people to insult groups of people because they're inferior. They're not status worthy. However, it's absurd to degrade a person even if they were not held in high regard. Nobody in the right mind would agree it's morally correct to go around town and degrade homeless people who are drug addicts. They never bother anyone and kept to themselves. Using justification because they're inferior is cleverly cloaked to disguise their dislike or something they don't like.
It is never productive to insult someone. Insults serve only to make the person issuing them feel superior to the target of the insult, whether that is deserved or not.

If someone around you seems to be inferior, or is acting in an inferior manner - by that I would assume less constructive, more harmful - it may be fine to call them on it. To tell them what the problem is with their behavior, to criticise, even to scold. All of these responses are directed at pointing out and correcting a problem, though, not simply stroking the ego of the person making the comment.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you're doing it wrong dude

gotta come up with real examples

then watch the shitstorm unfold

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is a similar idea that insulting people's views or beliefs is not going to persuade them to your way of thinking. You may feel good for having won an argument and feel more secure in your own stance, but it is unlikely you changed a mind. Rather, you probably just made them even more attached to their stance out of defensiveness and stubbornness.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ummm... who's going to be the judge of who is inferior? :unsure:

and isn't the problem with judging a group the fact that, because people are all different, groups can't be homogeneous? :thinking:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
ummm... who's going to be the judge of who is inferior? :unsure:

and isn't the problem with judging a group the fact that, because people are all different, groups can't be homogeneous? :thinking:

The furher of course. :coffee:
Quite the impressive resume I hear.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

Can you give specific examples of when this happens?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is a similar idea that insulting people's views or beliefs is not going to persuade them to your way of thinking. You may feel good for having won an argument and feel more secure in your own stance, but it is unlikely you changed a mind. Rather, you probably just made them even more attached to their stance out of defensiveness and stubbornness.

There is value to what you say. However, this is why I prefer to debate/discuss on open forums. The intent isn't to change someone's mind after one meager round of discussion. At best you can hope to plant a seed of doubt so they may be compelled to investigate on their own (even if they won't openly admit they are having doubts) and/or to resonate with someone else following/spectating the discussion. I can be relentless in a debate and I do seem to have some smidge of talent for it but my purpose is never to insult anyone (unless its not serious and I'm just messing around). Insults are the last resort of someone that's ran out of good arguments. I don't like to crush my opponent either as I see this as unproductive as well. I'd rather look at how they think and poke holes that way. Oh, and most importantly, I'm always open to changing my mind. If someone is not even willing to consider another possibility then you're wasting your energy trying to change their mind but maybe the arguments can enlighten someone else. I've been wrong many times but equally so been right. It's great to check yourself ( b4 u reck yo self).