• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The "grim dark" future?

Lark

Is anyone a fan of the Space Marines/Warhammer 40K mythos?

I have to say that I like how it has developed from where it had begun with the Space Hulk game, I've got an original copy of that boardgame and I liked it back in the day, even though I knew it was just a clone of Hero Quest moved to space, which was itself a clone of Dungeons and Dragons for the UK more or less.

The over arching theme with the Space Marines though, which is something I find reflects a kind of wry humour among a lot of the game's followers, is the idea of the grim-dark future, everything is going to the dogs, there are dozens of different sorts of seriously impending doom, if perpetual war wasnt bad enough and a kind of feudalistic social order characterised by heresy hunts, honour codes and not a little scheming, plotting, intriguing and the like.

My question, and if you're not aware of this particular variety of it you could be aware of another, is what do you think about this imagining of the future? Consider and contrast if you will the military in older films like Forbidden Planet and then the military in more recent "old" films (post Vietnam) like Aliens, one is a paragon of virtue, good order and legit authority, the other is a rough and ready crew of brawlers at best, did a paradigm shift take place in what people think the future is going to be like at some point, possibly reflective of better knowledge of what the world is like presently?