• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is "Deathism" a Useful Term?

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2013/03/is-deathism-a-useful-term.php

Is "Deathism" a Useful Term?

Today, we ponder the use of words, as is the fate of all those who reach the end of a day without the energy remaining to do something that is actually useful. "Deathism" and "deathist" are neologisms still in that fuzzy state of settling to a final dictionary meaning - should they ever accrue the sort of usage that leads to notice by the lexical powers that be. When I say deathism, I mean a point of view or philosophy that promotes death. In the context of Fight Aging!, that almost always means death by aging: deathist views are those of technological relinquishment, apologism for degenerative aging, and shying away from the medical progress that could eliminate the death and suffering caused by aging. A deathist individual is one who advocates or adheres to one of these worldviews, with modern Malthusian environmentalism (an ofttimes disturbing outgrowth of the civic religion) and traditional religious cultures being the largest communities.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thats a very literal use of the "death" component of the term "deathism".

I will continue to believe a more intuitive definition for reading that term could be included as a separate, additional alternative definition of that term, as the context of usage would indicate.

My definition of deathism would pertain to the promotion of an unchosen fate (a species of fatalism that is determined by the limitation on the absolute liberty of the intelligence over the envisioned mental framework for objects witnessed in the mind (which are the generated mental feedback from the envisioned framework, not some kind of "material-[matter based]-reality").

You perceive an observation, not an "awareness" of something distinct from the self, because you even are the awareness of observation.

The non-realism camp of philosophers (whose stuff I haven't read myself), got it right, I dont know why they let the self professed: "empirically-minded" simpletons talk smack and degrade the eminence of the intellect to self-important science-fair winners who've crowned themselves captain of this planet's trajectory as the only competent authority to rule them all.

And so my definition could subsume the definition you quoted, by mine's inclusive framework, although my definition entails a deeper philosophical outlook in the allocation for identifying the entire force in death-servitude.