• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The theory of moral sentiments...

Lark

...a work of psychology?

It is an expert work of speculative reasoning and discussion of motivation, mind and behaviour, it does posit that something other than rational thought is responsible for deeds and decisions, a little like a theory of affect and emotion as primary drivers, and it does talk about character.

I think perhaps it is, at least in as much as William James and others were psychologists and it compares well to some early, early theorists such as Alfred Adler, in my opinion at least, and much of psychoanalysis and depth psychology is regarded as being largely of literary merit primarily or completely by most neo-behaviourists and cognitivists.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
What you are citing seems quite interesting, is there an accessible version of that work? who authored it? Its title sounds vaguely familiar to me...

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
your second paragraph lost me a bit on some point you were making, [I think that] I did decipher past your small editing mistake in syntax; and now I'd like to know what is meant by the phrasing: "pure literary merit", i understand it is a nuanced qualification to place upon the significance of something, but Im unsure of its depth, does the phrasing infer that psychoanalysis and depth psychology is a cogent mechanical description which attains its merit by 'plausibly making sense' despite its vast sophistication? {And therefore psychoanalysis and depth psychology are merely feats of self-consistency?}

Lark

What you are citing seems quite interesting, is there an accessible version of that work? who authored it? Its title sounds vaguely familiar to me...

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
your second paragraph lost me a bit on some point you were making, [I think that] I did decipher past your small editing mistake in syntax; and now I'd like to know what is meant by the phrasing: "pure literary merit", i understand it is a nuanced qualification to place upon the significance of something, but Im unsure of its depth, does the phrasing infer that psychoanalysis and depth psychology is a cogent mechanical description which attains its merit by 'plausibly making sense' despite its vast sophistication? {And therefore psychoanalysis and depth psychology are merely feats of self-consistency?}

Guess at what point I stopped reading.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Guess at what point I stopped reading.

Do you ever give reasons for your actions, or shall I just infer by the tone of your conceit that you already understood that I would have a preference to give no further attention to a narcissist?

No bother replying, I think I'll continue with that notion in mind.

Lark

Do you ever give reasons for your actions, or shall I just infer by the tone of your conceit that you already understood that I would have a preference to give no further attention to a narcissist?

No bother replying, I think I'll continue with that notion in mind.

Yeah, if you could see yourself, would you stop yourself.

Just quoting in case you decide to delete, you know so this sticks around long enough for everyone to draw conclusions about you buddy. Keep on trucking.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, if you could see yourself, would you stop yourself.

Just quoting in case you decide to delete, you know so this sticks around long enough for everyone to draw conclusions about you buddy. Keep on trucking.

Firstly:

What post have I ever deleted?

You are evidently the trucker of some kind of specious intellectual pretentiousness, guarded in thuggery.

While I actually supply reasoning for the refutations that I make, you are already patting yourself on the back after each unqualified accusation you make.

I would continue in this charade of an exchange, but your clearly punching above your weight.

PS

Lark

Firstly:

You are evidently the trucker of some kind of specious intellectual pretentiousness, guarded in thuggery.

While I actually supply reasoning for the refutations that I make, you are already patting yourself on the back after each unqualified accusation you make.

I would continue in this charade of an exchange, but your clearly punching above your weight.

PS

I like way you work it, no diggity

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*came into this thread to discuss*

*leaves this thread because it blew up on the launch pad*