User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Default Do you believe there is such thing as evil?

Just post your thoughts. What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word 'evil?' What's your thinking process and conclusions regarding the word?

If anyone met my grandmother they'd know what evil really meant. I'm sort of kidding, but in all seriousness, in my view humans are self-serving, but will be conscious of others and will be helpful as long as it doesn't conflict with their own personal goals. I don't think anyone is truly intentionally malicious, and acts of cruelty and violence occur out of selfishness. That isn't to say we aren't absolute fuckheads - we are, we just justify our own shitty nature with faulty reasoning.

Yes I do.

Evil is what causes people to intentionally harm others for their own amusement or pleasure.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes ZNP-TBA, geedoenfj, sorenx7, Hard, Masokissed and 2 others liked this post

royal member
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, but it's a relative and culturally-dependent concept tho

I quickly associated it with sadism fwiw
    Likes ZNP-TBA, Masokissed, Avocado liked this post

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Dictionary sez that evil is 'profoundly immoral and malevolent'. I suppose the idea of evil can be valid either with or without a spiritual component. Your question is too broad. Virtually everyone has a sense of morals (whether they follow them or not), and a profound lack of morality would be considered evil.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes ZNP-TBA, Avocado, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

knowledge of evil, is the only so called 'evil' (it is not evil itself even)

Also: error and evil is not the same.

Error is a mistake with your awareness.

Therefore error serves error only.

the above loop-regression is the death.

Death is not evil, its just an error.
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.
    Likes Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Evil is self-entitlement acted upon by people usually lacking in impulse control. Evil people are basically animals driven and motivated by their desires.
    There are 129 million dead trees in California. Governor Moonbeam vetoed legislation to cut down these trees; now there are multiple forest fires that have resulted in many deaths, including 300 missing people. This is why Dems are dangerous; this treehugger refused to cut down even dead trees.

Default The Banality of Evil

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieNinjaPirate View Post
    Just post your thoughts. What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word 'evil?' What's your thinking process and conclusions regarding the word?
    We started by believing that God was the source of good and the Devil was the source of evil. Then we started to believe God was the personification of good, and the Devil was the personification of evil. But then we started to believe in the psyche rather than God and the Devil, and we started to believe the psyche was good and and it was the external abuse of psyche that caused evil.

But it has become obvious that the source of evil is not the psyche but large social institutions. This puts us in a bind as we are dependent on our social institutions, and we are inclined to defend them at a visceral level without evidence or reason.

We identify with our social institutions and experience critique of our social institutions as a criticism of ourselves.

Our irrational and immoral defence of our social institutions is existential - we conflate our own existence with the existence of our social institutions.

So we are now inclined to think that evil arises from our dependence on our social institutions. Evil raises due to our conformity to our environment - and so evil is banal. Banality is the hallmark of evil and it surrounds us every day.

No longer does Satan say he would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven, rather we say, we go along to get along.
    Likes ZNP-TBA, Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yes I do.

Evil is what causes people to intentionally harm others for their own amusement or pleasure.
    I agree. But there are also people who are psychopaths and sociopaths who fit that definition, and those people have something wrong with their brains, lack a conscience, etc. They were born that way. So, if they are mentally ill, and they have no control over their actions because they lack something somewhere that makes them unable to feel, are they considered evil. In other words, if there is a physical cause for that type of behavior, is that evil or is it a disease/disorder, or both.
    Likes Masokissed, Avocado, lightsun liked this post