• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe there is such thing as evil?

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Evil can be manufactured. It is a something that was planted before we populated this planet, as were other things. If you ask, if evil exists, it would be in parallel by asking, "do you exist"? Every answer, including mine, will be equally silly as the question. The endless cycle to find fulfillment always ends in its vacuous counterpart (western philosophy).

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Partially. I believe good and evil are like two lines curving around each other indefinitely, trying to reach an end. Each is trying to reach
'the end' in a way it thinks best; the end here representing various things, like say good's quest for the end of evil. I think the whole spiral model for it I have in my head is also further provable by how, like, if you're watching a TV show a character that was once good turns evil. Good didn't work so they're trying to reach their end with evil now, and sometimes they even switch back to good again (Like, Darth Vader). So really, good and evil is meaningless in the long run. And sometimes, what's classified as good can be evil in its own way or vice versa. Nihilism, whoo! :hitched:
But really, there is no 'end'. It just is, that confounded spiral, the DNA we're born with and die with, that never truly dies as its passed along our offspring.

Mole

Permabanned
It's adorable the way you pretend your consensus based beliefs are objective.

It's nice to be adored, and I do love pretending, and I do believe in objects. The objects I believe in are the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Liberal Democracy.

Some of us reject these objects in favour of totalitarian fantasies. And the path to totalitarianism is to deny objective beliefs exist.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't know anything about the contents of this Declaration of Human Rights

This is a shocking admission as the morality of the West is encoded in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The West is our home and we can't defend our home without understanding the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And those who wish to destroy our home specifically reject the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a prelude to our destruction.

Not knowing anything about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and boasting about it on a public forum is reminiscent of the Know Nothing Party of the United States of America.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is a shocking admission as the morality of the West is encoded in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The West is our home and we can't defend our home without understanding the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And those who wish to destroy our home specifically reject the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a prelude to our destruction.

Not knowing anything about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and boasting about it on a public forum is reminiscent of the Know Nothing Party of the United States of America.

I'm not boasting. All I said was that I haven't heard of it before.

Mole

Permabanned
Absolute Evil and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

I'm not boasting. All I said was that I haven't heard of it before.

It is interesting that you have never heard of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I find it hard to believe you have never heard of human rights, it's in the newspapers and on television every day.

I am surprised you haven't heard of that the United Nations is based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I am surprised you don't know we fought and won WW II so that we could encode human rights in the Universal Declaration.

WW II and the holocaust were such an egregious violation of human rights, we felt the need to encode human rights in the Universal Declaration.

The holocaust was the closest we came to absolute evil and our international response was the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And surely you know our enemies have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights just so they freely violate human rights at will.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It is interesting that you have never heard of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I find it hard to believe you have never heard of human rights, it's in the newspapers and on television every day.

I am surprised you haven't heard of that the United Nations is based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I am surprised you don't know we fought and won WW II so that we could encode human rights in the Universal Declaration.

WW II and the holocaust were such an egregious violation of human rights, we felt the need to encode human rights in the Universal Declaration.

The holocaust was the closest we came to absolute evil and our international response was the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And surely you know our enemies have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights just so they freely violate human rights at will.

I have learned about human rights and the holocaust but never of an official Declaration of some sort. That's the American education system for you.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes. I do. I think that all people are by nature evil.

We have to supress this desire out of fear-fear of looking at ourselves truly-fear and awareness of what accepting our true nature would really entail for us. Death, self destruction, chaos.

So we do good things, but this does not really make us good. This makes us good liars, this means that we can do good things-this might even mean that we trick ourselves into thinking the world is a good place. But look closer and you will see.

The fact is. Everythig dies. Everything, from the moment of its conception-is slated to end. This is nihilism, but I mean, it is-well-a potentiality if I am going to be generous. How does this connect to good and evil?

Well. Humans are aware of this, deep down. Life has no meaning-some are able to ignore and distract themselves from this better than others can. But when it comes down to it, I would again generously conceed that this is perhaps not ALL-but most. Most are aware of this. It is what separates us from animals. We are the only ones who are capable enough of tricking ourselves into thinking that deep down-it isn't all just about us. That we uphold-really uphold-higher moral values. Ones that are far away enough from evil that we might be able to consider ourselves good. But it is just not the case. When you strip it bare bones it ends up. Man has a finite amout of time, within a finite window of time. He is aware of this. He is aware of his own mortality. And at the end of the day, again, it is what he wakes up and falls asleep to every night. He would do anything to protect himself, his ego, everything. And this means, selfishness runs deep in his core. He might give up his seat to an elderly woman on a bus, but give him a gun and say it is either her or you-and if he is HEALTHY-his ego(what I am calling evil) will demand that he shoot her. It is just natural. It is arguably evil. It is arguably evil to ignore that this is evil-and it is arguably evil to say that all of the good that comes from this 'evil' does not matter.

Both have to exist to cover for the other.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nope. Human construct in an attempt to identify something we vehemently reject. And just as separation is an illusion, 'evil' is an illusion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In theory: No
In practice: Yes

(unless we are talking about some kind of supernatural kind of evil in which I don't believe)

Lark

Nope. Human construct in an attempt to identify something we vehemently reject. And just as separation is an illusion, 'evil' is an illusion.

You'll know if when you have contact with it, then you'll have no doubts.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No. Morals are subjective and therefore believing in such thing as categorization of one's individual and personal act or nature as "evil" is simple nonsense... Evil? To who? If it's evil to you, it doesn't mean it's evil to me...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had to get on the computer for this response.

If anyone met my grandmother they'd know what evil really meant. I'm sort of kidding, but in all seriousness, in my view humans are self-serving, but will be conscious of others and will be helpful as long as it doesn't conflict with their own personal goals. I don't think anyone is truly intentionally malicious, and acts of cruelty and violence occur out of selfishness. That isn't to say we aren't absolute fuckheads - we are, we just justify our own shitty nature with faulty reasoning.

Yes I do.

Evil is what causes people to intentionally harm others for their own amusement or pleasure.

Yes, but it's a relative and culturally-dependent concept tho

I quickly associated it with sadism fwiw

The definition of evil is highly subjective but personally, I think it's doing things with the intention to cause harm, either to people or to things. I'd also add that those who are evil, typically don't feel remorse for their actions. Oftentimes, they are glad to have caused harm.

Congratulations! You side with western morality. Harm is bad. Respect individual's choices otherwise.

feminism is evil.

Ding ding ding! You side with community morality!
The needs of the group are more important, and there are roles for society to be fulfilled by. To be self-focused is repulsive and harmful to the greater good.

Evil is self-entitlement acted upon by people usually lacking in impulse control. Evil people are basically animals driven and motivated by their desires.

And you sir, side with the divinity morality. God has given us bodies to use sacredly and to not mess with. We dare shall not corrupt ourselves following our carnal desires and debase ourselves.

You'll know if when you have contact with it, then you'll have no doubts.
Tell me what good and evil is again. :coffee:

Lark

No. Morals are subjective and therefore believing in such thing as categorization of one's individual and personal act or nature as "evil" is simple nonsense... Evil? To who? If it's evil to you, it doesn't mean it's evil to me...

I like your avatar, in the abstract and the academic perhaps so, you can make formulations like this, I suspect there's a consensus on certain things though, such as its a bad idea to viciously torture, rape and kill defenceless children or take pleasure in that sort of thing, and its a good idea to begin from there and work forward if that's necessary.

Like I say questioning all those things in the manner which I've seen it done on this forum and in this thread, to me, does little more than point up the fact that everyone has had good fortune and, perhaps, been privileged enough so far not to know any evil people committing evil deeds impacting upon them or others or their loved ones.

Or maybe you'd be fine with someone brutalising and killing your loved ones if you have any, in which case I guess your thinking is at least consistent.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good luck my friend, may your pleasant, all too pleasant, conditions of existence last as long as possible.

Lol my life has been anything but pleasant. Have you had time to read my blog? I know it's not exactly complete.

Sure I have not witnessed genocide, mass murder, someone fall dying (except in dreams for this circumstance)

But I have been bullied, threatened, and treated lowly a lot of my life for what you could say "seeing things differently than others"

I have experienced loneliness, depression, and even states of dissociation/out of touch with reality.

I used to be religious and I would feel bad for those who'd waste their lives smoking and smoking and prostituting themselves. It never had to be necessarily to the point of them being murdered. My best friend died summer of last year from being ran over on a highway.

Let me illustrate my point further.

Western: If harmed, you are threatening their individual rights. That is what is evil, you limit the freedom of one action may choose.
Community: Disobeying your role and separating off, do you not care for the good of all others? Without order, you're selfish and things won't get done. Sometimes harm has to be done for us to get back into our roles. To break and destroy harmony is evil.
Divinity: Filth is pure evil.

Lark

Lol my life has been anything but pleasant. Have you had time to read my blog? I know it's not exactly complete.

Sure I have not witnessed genocide, mass murder, someone fall dying (except in dreams for this circumstance)

But I have been bullied, threatened, and treated lowly a lot of my life for what you could say "seeing things differently than others"

I have experienced loneliness, depression, and even states of dissociation/out of touch with reality.

I used to be religious and I would feel bad for those who'd waste their lives smoking and smoking and prostituting themselves. It never had to be necessarily to the point of them being murdered. My best friend died summer of last year from being ran over on a highway.

Let me illustrate my point further.

Western: If harmed, you are threatening their individual rights. That is what is evil, you limit the freedom of one action may choose.
Community: Disobeying your role and separating off, do you not care for the good of all others? Without order, you're selfish and things won't get done. Sometimes harm has to be done for us to get back into our roles. To break and destroy harmony is evil.
Divinity: Filth is pure evil.

I think you're considering this in the abstract, removing your experience from things, I dont know why you are doing that but its not uncommon these days.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you're considering this in the abstract, removing your experience from things, I dont know why you are doing that but its not uncommon these days.

It is the philosophy sub-forum not the practical relief sub-forum. Are you saying my feelings and my experiences for myself and others means nothing to you?

No it isn't. Would I like to see anyone get harmed? No. I believe I follow western morality most. But each moral system has their weakness. And we're all different in our moral meters and side with those that fit closest to it.

You want to know what's evil? Do you really want to know what the most prevalent evil there is?

Do you?

Indifference.

It's not what people do to others so much, but that people do not help others.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Violent Description Trigger Warning:

After that, I was in shock and felt icy cold and felt like society started shattering around me. If only I have actually seen it like in person I could truly feel the worst. Nor would I care to, thank you. I'm glad for that incident the criminal was caught. I don't know if he was executed or life in prison. But prisoners have a special hatred in their heart for those kinds of people.

To those who say God cannot exist because of the problem of evil:
It would take a God to hold true of people's choices that evil.

Lark

It is the philosophy sub-forum not the practical relief sub-forum. Are you saying my feelings and my experiences for myself and others means nothing to you?

No it isn't. Would I like to see anyone get harmed? No. I believe I follow western morality most. But each moral system has their weakness. And we're all different in our moral meters and side with those that fit closest to it.

You want to know what's evil? Do you really want to know what the most prevalent evil there is?

Do you?

Indifference.

It's not what people do to others so much, but that people do not help others.

True.

I think there's a difference between practical reasoning and abstract reasoning, I see lots of abstract reasoning on this forum to be honest, people might type a lot of stuff but I expect how they live their lives and the decisions they make five minutes away from keyboard are not that closely linked with the sorts of things they write.