• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Iron Man Fallacy

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is a fallacy which I would like to commit more often, we can call it the iron man fallacy, the opposite of the straw man fallacy. It begins with a weak argument, perhaps offerred by an opponent in debate, which is then improved upon until it resembles something quite sensible, almost reasonable. Then the discussion proceeds by analysing and criticising the newly forged iron man. There have been many issues on which the iron man fallacy has been very productive and educational to me, and I encourage everyone to give it a try.

ygolo

My termites win
I like using this productive fallacy also. It is basically giving the benefit of the doubt over and over and over again.

Atomic Fiend

Tony Stark built this out of scrap metal in a cave.

060831_spaceShuttle_vmed_6p.widec.jpg

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*Disappointed this wasn't the title to the Iron Man sequel.*

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Remember that time that the Iron Man Fallacy thread got waaaay off topic?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i like the thought of it (not penises you fallacy-heads!). however, isn't this just improving your theory. i think you can argue with the original theory and poke holes in it and whatnot, but if there is a new iron man and you can't poke holes in it, what's the point of poking at the original argument? if the iron man is that strong, they win regardless.

ygolo

My termites win
why would you call that a fallacy?

It is a fallacy because the newly constructed Iron Man could not be representative of what the original expositor actually believes. There are often several possible stronger arguments that can be created from a weaker one.

redacted

I don't get it.

Is a fallacy just anything that isn't pure deductive logic?

There was talk of "jumps" on another thread on this forum. Are those not allowed?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get it.
Is a fallacy just anything that isn't pure deductive logic?

Well, it's basically saying that something's so, when it's not clear it is.

So yes, it's a gap in logic.

And yes:
You can use intuition.
But you have to label it as intuition rather than as evidence or conclusive.

A fallacy is an assumption that is claimed to be truth when it can't be shown to be and can be shown to possibly NOT be.

redacted

Well, it's basically saying that something's so, when it's not clear it is.

So yes, it's a gap in logic.

And yes:
You can use intuition.
But you have to label it as intuition rather than as evidence or conclusive.

A fallacy is an assumption that is claimed to be truth when it can't be shown to be and can be shown to possibly NOT be.

Ah. Well, NOT using fallacies is pretty impossible then. Carry on.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
could someone build an example of said iron man fallacy???

im aware of what a strawman is....but im unsure of how to come up with an example of this iron man...

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
could someone build an example of said iron man fallacy???

im aware of what a strawman is....but im unsure of how to come up with an example of this iron man...

Opposite of straw man.

Straw man is misrepresenting the author's view and in effect representing it as weaker than it really is. Iron Man is distorting the author's viewpoint and representing it as something stronger than it really is.

For example. A Christian fundamentalist may argue Jesus literally rose from the dead. Certain Christian philosophers have argued that the Christian position is not nearly as absurd as it appears. The argument does not actually state the Jesus physically rose from the dead. Its actually meant to be interpreted allegorically and there is a complex metaphysical system to support this view, or so they would maintain the writers of the Bible framed their argument.

why would you call that a fallacy?

Same reason as why you'd call a Strawman a fallacy, because it misrepresents the author's viewpoint.