• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how to erase mental health records

aquazer0

so i just turned 18 and i was diagnosed a couple of years ago with mental illness not schizophrenia but psychosis which is somewhat related but anywho i have a purpose which is to get rid of my mental health records but i just don't know how and i would like to speak with a doctor but the problem is you have to put your credit card which has some information which i really don't feel like giving out since i know that the place i want to go to is not going to accept me if i admitted that i have many years of going to see counselors psychologists and psychiatrists and that's kind of the problem also i was in these classes which were (i swear) not special ed classes because i have an above average IQ i wont say how high because that would be giving more information out but lets just say its pretty damn high and so that's no problem since i am getting my IQ tested (also to fulfill the requirements) but i was in these classes for people who were emotionally disabled?? i really don't know but let's just say that these kids were NOT mentally disabled for example this girl had an IQ of like 160 and the other kids were pretty damn smart but they just lacked willpower some were total wrecks like they were really depressed anxious or just anti-social and they had really messy hair uncombed unwashed and they didn't want to do anything but anyway i also have to turn in my report cards and they have like 2-3 of those classes per year 9-12 grade and i barely graduated!!! but i did graduate and with a diploma not a ged or certificate of completion so that's another requirement check but anyway another thing i went to religious therapy since i was like 7 oh and me and my sis went to a weekly hour session with psychologists because my mom thought we had traumas!!! and well i kind of did since i was in preschool this guy made me take off my pants (sexual harassment but not abuse) well anyway i wish i could get rid of that too since they are asking me about abuses any kind not that i have any other that the one i just mentioned but they are so intricately tied that i just don't know how to deny one without having to cover up my lies x10 and then the worst part was that my dads employer which is also tied to this new lifestyle i'm going to take on is also tied to my dads employer so many times the people at the mental hospital for suicide attempts used to call my dads employer since my mom was tired of the hospital calling her i did this for 2 years and i went like 8 times and then in my last two years i only went twice but one of the times the police forced me seriously i wasn't trying to hurt myself but they said i did and they just sent me there to the mental hospital so now i have that but the problem with the police and the school was that they would just send me away because they were too damn lazy to do anything that would force them to do anything out of their normal job but anywho then last thing to admit is that for a year i was given medicine for my mental health psychosis but i stopped taking the medicine because i knew i didn't need it and in the last 1/2 year i have been working at two jobs never had to go to the mental hospital have an excellent reputation am a good worker and even my moms kind of outdated friends have noticed a change oh and btw i am no longer taking medicines for mental health and stopped going to the psychologists and psychiatrists etc who have not stopped harassing me with their calls and letters that i need medicine and therapy urgently because according to them i will have a breakdown again but thats lies which i know will never happen again as i really am stable.but now the only thing i need help with is how do i get rid of my mental health records?????
btw this is not for the military or anything of that sort but yes they do need records from doctors saying i am in good health which i am in the last 10 years other that mental health (anxiety, psychosis-not schizophrenia though) no diabetes check, no parkinson check etc

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Assuming USA, not possible. Background checks sometimes only screen for specific time frames but you're looking at a minimum of 5-10 years there.

Why do you believe you no longer need your medication?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I second that it's not possible, but I wish you luck nonetheless. I was diagnosed with no less than a dozen mental illnesses from the ages 12-17. They are still in my medical record and effect the care I get (or don't get) for my physical illness in a very negative way.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
when I moved, somehow a large chunk of my medical records were lost and nobody had any clue how. not mental health records... those were intact, but things like vaccinations and that I'd broken my foot and that I'm allergic to latex. trying to find proof that I'd already been vaccinated against something at one point was THRILLING :thumbdown:

I don't think that you can get your healthcare records erased except for by accident or if it can be proven to be a clerical error... it's kind of unethical for a doctor to lie and say that you weren't under treatment for something or on a particular medication if you were.

Little_Sticks

Unless you committed a crime, there's no universal database that houses this information about you. Some people would like anyone that has been committed (involuntary or voluntary) for any length of time to be put in a database, but it's unethical for many reasons. It would be punishing you when you haven't actually done anything wrong.

That said, it shouldn't show up on a background check and no one is allowed access to those medical records from the hospital, unless subpoenaed by a court or you hand them over.

So don't worry about it. And I think in 5 years the hospital is supposed to expunge any records they have of your visit. So if you decided to become a politician, you wouldn't have anything to worry about someone "finding".

...I know because I was forced once because the police interpreted me the way they wanted...and I was depressed, so that's kind of enough cause for those dumbasses. They find any kind of "sign" a person gives off and interpret it to expect the worst; it's how they are trained. And it's why most cops are dumbasses, throwing people on the ground and killing them for almost no reason at all. And no one has ever asked me about it before for any job or buying a gun or anything that constitutes a background check. I could get a government job with a high security clearance and they would never be able to find any record of that happening, even if someone mentioned it happening. Though maybe that's grounds enough to deny one. But I called the hospital many years later, they had no record, and they said they delete records after 5 years, so yeah.

Lark

I dont really think its a good idea to have records scrubbed, especially if they could be key to present and future diagnosis, prognosis, prescriptions, you know?

That stuff is important.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
sorry sorry sorry but this seems suspicious i've had experience with psych wards and the only way i was ever admited was being suicidal and by law no one can look at those records unless it's been court ordered or you want to buy a gun. and if it's not for military it's one of those things and you can't do anything in those situations.

don't get me wrong i get wanted it to be erased theres a lot of bs in mine that will never be gone.

gocat

MBTI Type
intp
sorry to hear you had such a bad time. i came off medication a few months ago and have an appointment this wednesday with the psychiatrist.its caused me a lot of stress because i fear its take your medication or off to hospital.i would just not go but i fear they will send the police round for me if i didn't. it's weird to feal so powerless when you haven't commited a crime are of no danger to yourself or others.i was under the impression i have liberty and it's my brain or self so i can decide but it's an illusion. once you have a break with reality you become under the power of others who can claim anything and make any decision they like when on the whole it's society that cause mental illness.stress caused my illness and the only stress in my life now is the mental health authorities. i have seen my records and they are fall of mistruths like my dad sexually abused me when he didn't. im a cocaine addict when i have only ever smoked weed. i was drunk on vodka when i dont drink etc. i pointed out my dad never sexually abused me and they didn't alter the records. i decided to avoid the stress and not bother broaching the subject again.this isn't much help only to say i empathise and congrats on staying well.