• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

are we all slaves

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
After thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that we are all slaves because we can die any moment, we are slaves to our desires, hunger and so much more. After I have come to my conclusion, are we really free, we might be vocally free, there are so many things that can slow us down, but at the same be a catalyst to us in good ways and bad.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read the existentialists, they'll probably allow you to turn iron into gold...

To me, we all are definitely bound to our own freedom.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes you are, all of you. Now go fetch me a beer!

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes we are, ultimate freedom is just a myth in my opinion

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We could get into deep philosophical discussions about freedom (things like "you are a slave of your desires if you are not an apathetic wreck") but I prefer staying at practical definitions. For me freedom means when I can do whatever I desire. For example: I'm free when I can wake up whenever I want. I'm free when I can walk on my legs because I sill have them. etc... If we go with my definition then we can say that different people have different needs so they define freedom (or different forms of freedom) differently (if at all they think it is within their reach).

EtaCarinae

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think we are quite free. The thing that can enslave us the most usually is our own mind. (Is that an INFJ thing to say something like that? :D)

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Even though we can do as we please, you know we are not free of the consequences of our actions

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I think we are quite free. The thing that can enslave us the most usually is our own mind. (Is that an INFJ thing to say something like that? :D)

yes, because the world has to be free to welcome you at every turn..lol.

- - - Updated - - -

man is free, but is forever in chains...was true when it was said, and now....freedom is moot at best.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
We are free to do as we please, but we cannot be free of the consequences of our actions. The slave master of It is like starting a business, you wish you have a lot of customers right off the bat, but you are not. We wish we did not have to pay for food unless it is free sample 8 the restaurant is giving a deal. The reality of earth is what holds us back from going all out, there is a certain law of yin and yang, natural vengeance and so many others

There are religions which clearly offer solutions to these issues as you have stated them...

On the philosophy bites podcast, there was a show recently about Buddhism, I would recommend you listen to that.

But you have already sketched out the basic hurdle that must be overcome...

no-one is free from consequence. Therefore, avoid creating any of those.

Obviously, there is not an obvious solution for this task, it requires a rather complete account of how {pyschological} reality works. I would say a lot of religion does accomplish such descriptions, although they are made impossible to access because of the difficulty in correlating those concepts to the immediate articulation within an individuals mind without a lot of meditative work on discerning the elements at fault within the (prior) unexamined mind.

I won't bore you with my personal solutions, soon I should have written a book to accomplish that task for me.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah buddy
But we're lucky ones
Extremely lucky ones

vaulttec

MBTI Type
ESTJ
After thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that we are all slaves because we can die any moment, we are slaves to our desires, hunger and so much more. After I have come to my conclusion, are we really free, we might be vocally free, there are so many things that can slow us down, but at the same be a catalyst to us in good ways and bad.

Wrong.
We are free.
Quantum physics proves free will when it states quantum flunctuations are randomic, not predetermined by previous happenntances.