• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious people - How would you go about converting someone?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Disclaimer: this thread is aimed at religious people/believers in God/Divinities. This is why it was placed in the 'spirituality' sub forum. I would appreciate keeping polarised/contentious pro/anti religion talks outside of the thread. : )

Hi!

Here's a topic for religious folks:
How would you go about helping someone convert to your religion?

Feel free to expand on the methodology.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It begins when he asks questions about my belief or why I find it the right way to go..
I don't convert anybody, at least I never did.. It's totally their choice I'm only around for answers

Mustafa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
My religion is Islam. And I try to be responsive and dont go out to convert. I do however try to set a good example by trying to emotionally connect, then grabbing the chanse to present my logic. Dalai Lama says my religion is kindness.

Lark

I wouldnt.

At all.

I dont value conversion as an idea at all, I dont think everyone has to share a single faith, I believe there is one true one but all experience will differ and people need to discern for themselves. Formal organised religious traditions can only ever, at best, be a springboard to discernment and nothing more than that.

jamain

MBTI Type
IST_
I think when two religious people with different beliefs are conversing, they are often both trying to convert each other. Both usually believe that their beliefs are the true (correct) ones. I look at it more as I'm trying to influence them and to help them discover truth. I don't resort to emotional pleas, I look to logic and study. I often think one of the most beneficial approaches is to ask questions. Help them to find the answers for them self. Telling someone what they should believe "just cause" it's what I think, doesn't help them to develop. They won't be able to defend those beliefs, and the first time some one throws a hard question at them, they will flounder and doubt.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldnt.

At all.

I dont value conversion as an idea at all, I dont think everyone has to share a single faith, I believe there is one true one but all experience will differ and people need to discern for themselves. Formal organised religious traditions can only ever, at best, be a springboard to discernment and nothing more than that.
I agree. I find the idea of trying to convert someone - telling them that my religion is better than theirs - to be fundamentally disrespectful. On objective matters it's another story, and I will sometimes argue quite vigorously if I think you are wrong. But religion is essentially subjective, so to each his own.

That being said, I will freely answer questions others put to me about my beliefs, but more with an eye to helping them understand me rather than convincing them to become like me. If they are willing, I will ask questions to try to understand them better, too.

Lark

I agree. I find the idea of trying to convert someone - telling them that my religion is better than theirs - to be fundamentally disrespectful. On objective matters it's another story, and I will sometimes argue quite vigorously if I think you are wrong. But religion is essentially subjective, so to each his own.

That being said, I will freely answer questions others put to me about my beliefs, but more with an eye to helping them understand me rather than convincing them to become like me. If they are willing, I will ask questions to try to understand them better, too.

I agree with that, of all the evangelists I've actually known, of any creed, they all repeat the most grotesque vagaries and the most insistent way and it all amounts to say these things I say, do these things I do (as in some ritual) and think these things I think but its impossible to do so, I dont believe that believers should be of a single mind or strive after that.

LonestarCowgirl

It doesn't matter to me who you love or what you do as long as you're happy and respectful. I just want you to be happy and be respectful to each other.

If you're not happy and whine to everyone about it, don't be surprised when I start praying for you and quoting Bible scripture.

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't say I try to "convert" anyone. The word I've heard used more often is evangelize, which is to say, just tell someone about Jesus. And as far as evangelizing goes, I'm obviously only going to tell someone if they're open to hearing it. If they show interest and would like to learn more, I'm happy to do so, and the methods vary.

For instance, my younger sister (I am the only Christian in my family) seems to need evidence to believe in things she cannot see. So I use historical evidences from the Bible to show her its validity.
Others might respond better to emotions or experiences, so I am able to tell them about my life story and how I came to know God, and show them His existence through my experience of Him.
My mom seems to need to learn as much about what she's considering as possible, so I am studying the Gospels with her so she can learn about Jesus' ministry on earth. I allow her to ask any questions she might have and do research so that I can make sure I have the right answers for her.

Basically, I meet people where they're at. God knew that we'd all have different needs and respond to different approaches, so He made the Truth accessible from many different avenues.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't say I try to "convert" anyone. The word I've heard used more often is evangelize, which is to say, just tell someone about Jesus. And as far as evangelizing goes, I'm obviously only going to tell someone if they're open to hearing it. If they show interest and would like to learn more, I'm happy to do so, and the methods vary.
This is the best way: responding to interest, and also showing by example in how you live your life.

For instance, my younger sister (I am the only Christian in my family) seems to need evidence to believe in things she cannot see. So I use historical evidences from the Bible to show her its validity.
Wait - didn't you post elsewhere that one of your parents was Catholic and the other (presumably some other denomination of) Christian? Not practicing, e.g. attending church regularly, is not the same as ceasing to believe.

Also, in what way do you see historical evidence demonstrating the validity of the Bible as a faith document? That only shows its merit as a historical account.

c-jade

daisies and thunderstorms
MBTI Type
ENFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the best way: responding to interest, and also showing by example in how you live your life.

Thanks. I think so. It's never going to do any good if you're trying to force the topic on someone who doesn't want to hear it.

Wait - didn't you post elsewhere that one of your parents was Catholic and the other (presumably some other denomination of) Christian? Not practicing, e.g. attending church regularly, is not the same as ceasing to believe.

Also, in what way do you see historical evidence demonstrating the validity of the Bible as a faith document? That only shows its merit as a historical account.

Well, to get more in-depth about it, my mom never truly had a belief of her own. Even now when we discuss it she doesn't have much understanding from anything she learned growing up, and even though her mom was a Christian and took her to church as a child (I'm actually not even 100% sure she was taken to church growing up, actually) my mom never considered herself a Christian. She's currently trying to learn more so that she can find her faith. My dad is a different case. He did find his own faith at one point in his life and became a Christian, so I guess you would say he's a Christian, but he doesn't practice it. He wants to, and believes it, but doesn't live his life as a Christian right now. But you are right about him, so good catch. :) I appreciate seeing it from that perspective, actually. In my other post about my parents, I was more referencing how they were raised and that they never truly took on their parents' faiths as their own. I think both my parents--and siblings, for that matter--are still on that journey to discover their own faith, which is more why I say that none of them are Christians.

That's true, it does only show its merit as a historical account. For my sister, her argument usually comes from the question of, "How do I know the information in this document wasn't tampered with over thousands of years?" So when I can give her solid evidence that the history within the Bible is accurate, that helps her believe it in its entirety. And really, when you see the evidence that over 50 books spanning over thousands of years with over a dozen different others is accurate, I feel like it lends proof to the fact that some Greater Power had to have had something to do with a book like that being formed and kept accurate throughout all that time. It seems highly unlikely to have been done purely by man.

But in reality, I think it takes many things put together to find ones faith. My mom may study all there is to know about Jesus' life and what He did, but she's going to need to believe in the Bible's validity to even believe that story. Furthermore, she's going to need to see evidence of His existence in the lives of other's, and in her life, to be able to care about what Jesus did for us. Does that make sense? It takes putting all of it together to really build a solid belief in Him, and in the end it's always going to have to come down to whether or not the person really WANTS to have faith, anyway.

Hoping all of that made sense and answered all of your questions. I am sometimes verbose.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's true, it does only show its merit as a historical account. For my sister, her argument usually comes from the question of, "How do I know the information in this document wasn't tampered with over thousands of years?" So when I can give her solid evidence that the history within the Bible is accurate, that helps her believe it in its entirety. And really, when you see the evidence that over 50 books spanning over thousands of years with over a dozen different others is accurate, I feel like it lends proof to the fact that some Greater Power had to have had something to do with a book like that being formed and kept accurate throughout all that time. It seems highly unlikely to have been done purely by man.
This is like saying: because I can demonstrate that Julia Child is an authority on cooking and food, you can trust what she says about politics or psychology. Much trouble comes from people mixing apples and oranges like this when it comes to faith. Historical accuracy and spiritual truth/value are quite separate things. Consider, for example, Aesop's Fables. Are they true?

But in reality, I think it takes many things put together to find ones faith. My mom may study all there is to know about Jesus' life and what He did, but she's going to need to believe in the Bible's validity to even believe that story. Furthermore, she's going to need to see evidence of His existence in the lives of other's, and in her life, to be able to care about what Jesus did for us. Does that make sense? It takes putting all of it together to really build a solid belief in Him, and in the end it's always going to have to come down to whether or not the person really WANTS to have faith, anyway.
If she really wants to follow and understand Jesus, she will need more than the Bible. Many early writings about the life and work of Jesus were excluded from the Bible as we know it for reasons that were largely political. They do not refute the Biblical accounts, but generally reinforce them while providing added dimensions.

Hoping all of that made sense and answered all of your questions. I am sometimes verbose.
If you must choose between being concise and being thorough, the second is preferred.

Ozzy

MBTI Type
GONE
Enneagram
5/6
I am a Christian...and I have never converted anyone. In my opinion, I am a sorry excuse for human being and a Christian. I really should get out there, but I'm shy and care more about myself than anyone else besides my boyfriend. Why does God still love me? I'm dying fruit...why am i talking about this. My life has no meaning.

Anyways, converting...easier said than done. I'm in the state that 99.99% of the Western church is. Dead. Lifeless. Sleeping. Conversion into this 'Christianity' is the same as sin. Conversion into the direct relationship God designed for us to have is much harder to realize what you're doing...much more difficult to keep it up. holy shit i think i am not cohesive. Clicking "post quick reply" is going to be one of the moments I'll regret later. Lol. This is who I am at the moment, really, I'm much more crazy after I've eaten pizza.

Herself

MBTI Type
INXX
I personally hate the term "convert", this implies the term bible thumper. If a person questions me, I will answer honestly, as best I can. It has to be their choice, not mine, other wise it's not authentic.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I generally have a poor view of evangelism. It's taken on such a negative connotation. Honestly, I don't believe in forcing my beliefs down somebody else's throat. People might think I'm a shitty Christian for this, but I think people of all faiths go to heaven eventually. Live your life, be good and true to all, and find peace however you like. If we all let each other be, I think this world would be a better place.

That being said, I'm fine talking about my faith if asked. Religion/spirituality has helped many people through personal struggles, so that would be the only reason I'd want to share my beliefs. But basically, I'm not an evangelist. Just do what you want, as long as it's not hurting anyone else. It's that simple for me.

Beorn

Permabanned
I don't convert people. God does.

Nevertheless, I informally preach the gospel through kindness, friendship, and explanation of the Gospel that just comes up naturally in conversation. I more formally take part in ministry through teaching children at church and in the past have ministered in neighborhood children's lunch ministries.

I am a Christian...and I have never converted anyone. In my opinion, I am a sorry excuse for human being and a Christian. I really should get out there, but I'm shy and care more about myself than anyone else besides my boyfriend. Why does God still love me? I'm dying fruit...why am i talking about this. My life has no meaning.

Maybe you should start by preaching the gospel to yourself. You can't really share the gospel while you're under the guilt of sin.

Beorn

Permabanned
Yep, indoctrination is the tried and true best method!

Children need to be taught there is a truth before they can learn how to question and seek the truth for themselves as young adults and adults. You're either indoctrinating them or teaching them to be indifferent toward truth. There is no other choice.
Atheist Allan Bloom understood that.