• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religious people - How would you go about converting someone?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If I were going to convert someone, I'd pray on teens. Because it sells itself. "Want to cast spells, dress in costumes, and play with cool looking alters and stuff? Want to really stick it to boring Christian religions and realize you can enjoy sex, and your body, and being a woman/man of physical desire and that's probably okay?" Too easy.

In reality, wiccans/pagans don't convert people. People go to Paganism. It is designed based on the most basic of human desires and instincts in religion.

Lark

I personally hate the term "convert", this implies the term bible thumper. If a person questions me, I will answer honestly, as best I can. It has to be their choice, not mine, other wise it's not authentic.

Children need to be taught there is a truth before they can learn how to question and seek the truth for themselves as young adults and adults. You're either indoctrinating them or teaching them to be indifferent toward truth. There is no other choice.
Atheist Allan Bloom understood that.

Beorn I hope you're not suggesting that life is more complex than most of the younger people discovering things different to their parents thinking believe it is? :newwink::happy2:;)

Lark

To be truthful people just see how fucking awesome I am and they decide they have to follow my God try and get some.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Follower of Islam.

I personally wouldnt convert. I would feel guilty that I am in some unconsious way gult trip them or peer pressure them into converting. Rather if by curiosity they were to ask questions I would answer as truthfully as I can, or lead then toward a path I feel would be beneficial to them. But I would not feel conformable teaching someone of my religion so heavily, when I can barely comprehend it myself.

Passacaglia

Children need to be taught there is a truth before they can learn how to question and seek the truth for themselves as young adults and adults. You're either indoctrinating them or teaching them to be indifferent toward truth. There is no other choice.
Atheist Allan Bloom understood that.
Easy as it is to fall into this false dilemma, there is in fact a third way: Teach kids to think for themselves. Those who feel the tug of spirituality will find a belief system best suited to them, and those who are naturally skeptical don't have to overcome any indoctrination.

In my case, it worked out rather well.

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Disclaimer: this thread is aimed at religious people/believers in God/Divinities. This is why it was placed in the 'spirituality' sub forum. I would appreciate keeping polarised/contentious pro/anti religion talks outside of the thread. : )

Hi!

Here's a topic for religious folks:
How would you go about helping someone convert to your religion?

Feel free to expand on the methodology.

#1 Start when they are young.
#2 Look for stressful times to convert in masses
#3 Set up a reward system where if they don't covert they risk burning in hell forever and forever. And if they do convert they will go to a great place with lots of harps.
#4 Be a good story teller

That's a good start.

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
Generally I would ask if someone was interested in having a deep discussion about their highest principles of importance... (not in those exact words)...

Generally people aren't capable of this at all, because they either don't have a very solid idea of how they relate to those things, in which case you can only offer them suggestions and encouragement about developing regard for such idealistic parameters upon which to create a mental framework of belief.

Lots of people from various walks of life have different state's of belief, each usually with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Atheists who are such because of a single ordered mentality should be the most spiritually advanced non-believer to discuss with, unless they are too fixed on their social status of being one of the scientific-intellegencia that gets its power from being in authority: by wielding a lofty and loose epistemology (scientific reign in the form of authority can only be felt and expressed as blind faith: as the philosophical rigor for science's validity is so feeble it creates a brittle and nervous kind of mental framework that can't cope with any proper reasoned critique of its flaky collection of its 'highest principles of importance').

Agnostic Atheists therefore exert greater strength in their determination because they generally have exerted more intelligence by not falling down into serving the false tower of scientific apologetics, but often when they abandon that false faith, they presume there is no better rigor to be adopted in the absence of scientific-belief, and so they settle on dividing their intelligence into a nebulous collection of interests that may find some eratic level of a cohesion: while coherency is relegated to such an unlikely or impossible subject matter, that they become incapable of making ground in any discussion that goes in ONE DIRECTION:- because they can only discuss anything in terms of the myriad perspectives each of their intellect's parts happen to currently be PRONE to. So because their intelligence is prone to their mind on such a basic level, there is no way to access a discussion with their intelligence to convert the whole intellect that is choosing to relinquish its controling force in favour of subscribing to an aggregated mental reading of whatever the mind is showing the intelligence as feedback (ergo: their intelligence is so slow and lazy from setting its focus on all the things that 'are possible', it risks too much when asked to let those spinning plates collapse down that, if it were to retract itself and develop the "single eye" the mind must possess as its driver to avoid the death from false ego). [note: "the single eye", is actually a biblical quote]

In my experience, most Protestant Christians actually fall into the "agnostic atheist" critique I just laid down, just under the label of "Christianity", which means there are some fixed divisions and distinctions being cast onto all the mental feedback the mind is producing by itself: but its impossible to engage with such a fixed filter, because it isn't based on principle, its based on narrative which is a type of non-thinking that can't be addressed without insulting the intelligence's feeble capitulation to "fairy tale thinking": which most so called Christians use as the bed rock of their mental frameworks (all narrative frameworks are therefore the root of all noxious beliefs, but people don't have the humility that is required to be rational with their intelligence, they give importance to the protection of their fractured investments their intelligence has decided to serve).

In my experience, most consciously identifying Hindu's are in a much better philosophical mood to be converted, because intellectually they are preparing themselves for the work of salvation, although usually the ego will use dogma successfully to shield itself from real progress, which is bound to happen within every form of organised religion.

Its funny, because whenever I talk to an 'agnostic atheist' sort, I first have to try to suggest to them the relevance and necessity of the quest to discover or develop a single mental framework; and when I talk to 'hard line' atheists, I first have to convince them that their mental framework is philosophically incoherent and obviously flawed and in need of displacement- generally 99.99% are too afraid to move from their position without the system-comforts their current self-identity provides them, the integrity of the individual is not appealing when its not mirrored by an index of the world's subculture matrix, leaving me to conclude, all self-identity attachments are a very basic form of organised religion that people aren't capable of overcoming wherever they are at.

In my experience therefore, conversion doesn't happen; but then I wouldn't say I've come across anyone who was a real seeker. I imagine you have to be able to have an open discussion with someone who is stilling looking into the questions of faith, who is trying to understand all the various different systems of belief inside each possible perspective (like someone who is going to a clothing store and doesn't have an idea about what is considered fashionable, and can't decide what is he/she considers comfortable until they have tried on every kind of garment they can manage to experience: of course, if any sort of fashion sense is used early on, the whole project can be tainted and you end up with very limiting options (that perhaps you will only feel the effects of in certain seasons of climate when you see your sensibility for true comfort was distorted...)).

Last edited:

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ex-Christian here but I did a good bit of evangelizing back in the day. About 3-4 times a week we'd have a Bible study/friendship meet-up. I have to admit in my congregation we were pretty edgy (we're talking 16 to 25 yrs old people)and loved music, good shows, sports and pretty much ordinary stuff. It was really easy for a non-fellowship friend of ours to blend in and gradually convert. The thing is we just added God into our daily activities but it wasn't overwhelming or anything. God, the Bible, and Christian values just fit in with us seamlessly without giving up our fun and easy going personalities. I remember a skeptic friend of mine really enjoyed our company(he'd jam with us actually - ironic that I'm a skeptic now lol) but I'd LOVE debating him in front of everyone else. I was pretty knowledgeable in the Bible and would make the case that it's unlike any codex on earth and the Bible was so relevant to current affairs that its like reading a contemporary newspaper but obviously much more significant(salvation). Basically to sum it up I had an open door policy to people of other faith or no faith. My friends and I were a welcoming bunch to our Bible studies/jam sessions and we had thick skin as to not shy away from tough questions and answer them the best we could. I'd never force anyone to pray with me rather I'd just pray for them anyway. I've had a major role in converting around 10 people, mostly other apathetic agnostics or Christians, a mormon, and two Muslims. In hindsight I sort of regret it except in one instance where I helped a kid get off drugs and out of a dangerous situation. In such a case religion is infinitely better.

Cygnus

I was Christian. My religion was the one thing in my life I recall feeling any shame over at all. I seriously downed myself about how fearful I was to convert people, like I'd never make it to paradise unless I won someone over.

I once tried to convert this friend from school, asking if he believed in any "higher intelligence over this world" rather than something simple like "do you believe in god?" He thought I was talking about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or something when I asked him that. But what can I say? I'm great and giving people the wrong idea.

Internet killed religion for me. Looking back through my posts, it's pretty easy to tell when I was in my very brief "euphoric" phase.