User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Having a hard time?

Depressed? Lonely? Divorced? Old? Young? Gay? Straight? Transgender? Undefined blob? Abused? Dead relatives? Superhero complex? Compulsive narcissism? Lack of self-worth? Psychopathy? Sociopathy? Paedofilia? The other filia's that are too much to write out? War? Famine? Hate? Perpetual virginity? Disease? Plague? Virus? Birth defect? Corruption? Child Labour? Religious intolerance? Religious tolerance? Feminism? Men's Rights? Misogyny? Misandry? Misanthropy? Mass shootings? Genocide? Beheadings? Fossil Fuels? Global warming? Global tipping? Global cooling? Globalisation? New world order? Black people? White people? Other people? Alien abduction? Cults? Kidnapping? Offshore accounts? Falling down suddenly syndrome? Stress causes by banks controlling stuff? Illuminati? Stalkers? Violence? Typology prejudice? Nihilism? Lack of focus? Lack of sleep? Lack of lack? Unhappy with work? Unhappy with relationships? Unhappy with life? Unhappy with existence? Unhappy with systems of biology informed by a mass of information we are only a minute grain of sand's worth in understanding? And some other stuff?

Well, don't worry about it.........because now there is my best selling book: "You and absolutely fucking everything else: The key to understanding that nothing needs to make sense!"

Order now and receive a free copy of my previous work: "Adulthood: Everybody gets it but you; time to learn about stuff n shit!"

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Senior Member ThaumaturgicTheorist's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

In The Dust Of This Planet - Radiolab

The appeal of nihilism for millennials. Including me, unfortunately.
    Cool podcast, thought I know it's old.

I get sucked dry with stupid "philosophical" thoughts almost daily thanks to the internet, so might as well: for some strange reason, the whole "we are insignificant and meaningless" thing never bothers me. I can't make myself feel the full horror - my fear goes more towards the notion that I'm dealing with it wrong. I can tear myself up over that, over what to do and how to approach it, but the notion itself? A non-issue. If anything, if we and our behavior is an evolutionary fluke, all the better, let's see where we can go and what kind of cool stuff we can do. Why is that supposed to be bad? I'm much more worried about what to do with my life, what's the best way to live in the world we have now, etc.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

Oh, and pessimism....god, I don't know. I'm not sure where I'd fall in that group regarding where things in the world are going. How the hell am I supposed to know? Yeah, bad things happen every day - so do good things. I'm too trusting of people's intentions and interminably idealistic, so there's my bias, though I at least try to modify it with reality without going full-on darkness-equals-realism. What is there to say, except the news is so much fricking fearmongering, be careful with it.

"Why do we call all our generous ideas illusions, and the mean ones truths? Isn't a sufficient condemnation of society to find oneself accepting such phraseology?"
    Likes Reborn Relic, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

"… Every great religion in the world — Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism — essentially comes down to: “Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.” What I have believed in my whole life — I believed it when I was a 22-year-old kid getting arrested in Chicago fighting segregation — I’ve believed it in my whole life.

That we are in this together — not just, not words. The truth is at some level when you hurt, when your children hurt, I hurt. I hurt. And when my kids hurt, you hurt. And it’s very easy to turn our backs on kids who are hungry, or veterans who are sleeping out on the street, and we can develop a psyche, a psychology which is “I don’t have to worry about them; all I’m gonna worry about is myself; I need to make another 5 billion dollars.”

But I believe that what human nature is about is that everybody in this room impacts everybody else in all kinds of ways that we can’t even understand. It’s beyond intellect. It’s a spiritual, emotional thing. So I believe that when we do the right thing, when we try to treat people with respect and dignity, when we say that that child who is hungry is my child, I think we are more human when we do that, than when we say “hey, this whole world is me, I need more and more, I don’t care about anyone else.” That’s my religion. That’s what I believe in.

And I think most people around the world — whatever their religion, their color — share that belief. That we are in it together as human beings. And it becomes more and more practical. If we destroy the planet because we don’t deal with climate change. Trust me, we are all in it together… and that is what my spirituality is about."

-Bernie Sanders
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion
    Likes amanki, MisteurFox, Typh0n liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThaumaturgicTheorist View Post
    Cool podcast, thought I know it's old.
    Radiolab is the best. All their stuff is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaumaturgicTheorist View Post
    I get sucked dry with stupid "philosophical" thoughts almost daily thanks to the internet, so might as well: for some strange reason, the whole "we are insignificant and meaningless" thing never bothers me. I can't make myself feel the full horror - my fear goes more towards the notion that I'm dealing with it wrong. I can tear myself up over that, over what to do and how to approach it, but the notion itself? A non-issue. If anything, if we and our behavior is an evolutionary fluke, all the better, let's see where we can go and what kind of cool stuff we can do. Why is that supposed to be bad? I'm much more worried about what to do with my life, what's the best way to live in the world we have now, etc.

Maybe I'm just dumb.
    I mean, if you aren't terrified of the possibility of eternal non-existence in the meaningless abyss, then more power to you. I wouldn't call that being "dumb" at all.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I mean, if you aren't terrified of the possibility of eternal non-existence in the meaningless abyss, then more power to you. I wouldn't call that being "dumb" at all.
    Hahaha, I won't be conscious when it happens, so why worry? It's the transition that's scary to think about.

And how to cope with nihilistic reality while alive, aware, and inherently predisposed to assign value and interpret with meaning.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Punderstorm liked this post

Enneagram
    4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI None

The idea that I could "end" is scary. I don't want to end. I want to live forever. I want to be Immortal.

Its not just a selfish thing, though there is alot of that too. If I cease to be conscious, the world ends. In order for the world to exist, one must be conscious of it. And only "I" exist as "I". I am the only "I" who the world can be perceived through.

The world as will, perhaps not, but the world as representation, at least...
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Punderstorm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cellmold View Post
    Having a hard time?

Depressed? Lonely? Divorced? Old? Young? Gay? Straight? Transgender? Undefined blob? Abused? Dead relatives? Superhero complex? Compulsive narcissism? Lack of self-worth? Psychopathy? Sociopathy? Paedofilia? The other filia's that are too much to write out? War? Famine? Hate? Perpetual virginity? Disease? Plague? Virus? Birth defect? Corruption? Child Labour? Religious intolerance? Religious tolerance? Feminism? Men's Rights? Misogyny? Misandry? Misanthropy? Mass shootings? Genocide? Beheadings? Fossil Fuels? Global warming? Global tipping? Global cooling? Globalisation? New world order? Black people? White people? Other people? Alien abduction? Cults? Kidnapping? Offshore accounts? Falling down suddenly syndrome? Stress causes by banks controlling stuff? Illuminati? Stalkers? Violence? Typology prejudice? Nihilism? Lack of focus? Lack of sleep? Lack of lack? Unhappy with work? Unhappy with relationships? Unhappy with life? Unhappy with existence? Unhappy with systems of biology informed by a mass of information we are only a minute grain of sand's worth in understanding? And some other stuff?

Well, don't worry about it.........because now there is my best selling book: "You and absolutely fucking everything else: The key to understanding that nothing needs to make sense!"

Order now and receive a free copy of my previous work: "Adulthood: Everybody gets it but you; time to learn about stuff n shit!"

If I order RIGHT now and pay by credit card do I get a free set of steak knives that can cut through literally anything?
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    If I order RIGHT now and pay by credit card do I get a free set of steak knives that can cut through literally anything?
    Unfortunately not.

But! You do get the butter knife that can cut through nothing!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

Thanks (indirectly) to this thread I spent the last two days torn to pieces over moral nihilism. I've come down from the high, but one thing stays: my inner psychodrama, with which I am heavily identified, is not going to go away because I figured out my standards and ideals are random and arbitrary as any other set of expectations or desires. How to reconcile them, though? Especially if, as some claim, values themselves are not real (something I can't be convinced of, honestly). My perceptions of better/worse, worthwhile/not persist, even knowing and trying to remind myself they're arbitrary...I'm kind of starting to not care and want to act on them anyway.

But is it justified, seeing as it ignores fundamental truths?