• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looper Versus Predestination

Lark

This thread assumes some prior knowledge of both of these time travel movies and will involve reveals so I dont want any whining about spoilers.

Looper features time travel and the consciousness of the past and the future in one of the protagonists allows them to change the course of events.

Predestination features time travel and the consciousness of the past and the future in the main protagonist, however, they are not able to change the course of events and just fulfill them instead.

Which do you think is more likely to be an accurate representation of what happens with foreknowledge of events?

Zangetshumody

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think its important to note: In looper- the person with 'aforeknowledge of the future' gets erased during a present novation (or read instead of "present novation"; novation in [the] present time).

And in Predestination, there is always a character in each scene which is choosing the course of events, and that character might be said to be choosing a course of events for another person also, but it bears remembering that the other person is also the same person who has chosen the same course already through the now time. (see additional note***)

---
I will tell you both of these stories are perfectly consistent with each other in their model of time-space, although they are obviously both presented as peculiar illustrations.

I will say: that I should know this, since I was involved in designing the plot structure, but please don't take my word for it, I have no evidence to support my claims. I feel a good philosophical night cap on these matters is the philosophy explored by Ex Machina. Although its not obviously apparent, these together illustrate the elemental components that make up the subjective (and internal) interface with an external field of awareness.

(additional note***: and so both are mirrors for each others choosing, but they always do so in the [course of events both have a full access to in the] present time in which both are participating).

tldr:
any sort of description of time or event is always written by choosing done in the present.

all fictions about competing or inconsistent time lines are manifested by choosings' in the present, which have created those inconsistencies by their nebulous way of choosing[:allowing for (or permit, or to not restrict) some undefined element to linearity (which cannot be reduced to formulaic accounting in any case (ie see Dr Who's explanation of the universes' workings of time and space for the allegory).]

Last edited:

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Predestination-ish. The only way I see time travel making sense is that a bunch of the trips to the past would iterate and drive us toward one specific future. The time traveler's free to act as a free agent, and he has access to what he knew about the future, but the future is still effectively predestined. That'd all require that everything has all happened 'at once,' really; and that there is no arrow of time.