• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does being an Adult mean to you?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everything is changing and in flux. It's a little scary at times, but it's also fascinating and exciting.

There's no going back.

To grapple with the idea that all you've been taught was going to happen, won't is difficult. To have a mental constitution that does not permit you to accept illusions is difficult, especially when others around you persist in believing in them.
Well said. I'm getting there ever gradually, to that point where excitement and fascination begins to cut through the scary. Unable to deny the unknowns, but still not great at tolerating them.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well said. I'm getting there ever gradually, to that point where excitement and fascination begins to cut through the scary. Unable to deny the unknowns, but still not great at tolerating them.

It's not an easy thing to do. It was the only option available to me, though. I had nothing or nobody else to run to; even my mom didn't really understand what I was grappling with. I had no faith to comfort me, really, nor any friends to distract myself with. I had to work it out on my own, and to some extent, I still have to do that.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not an easy thing to do. It was the only option available to me, though. I had nothing or nobody else to run to; even my mom didn't really understand what I was grappling with. I had no faith to comfort me, really, nor any friends to distract myself with. I had to work it out on my own, and to some extent, I still have to do that.
That sounds like my 2015 - with a couple friends, yes, but nothing is capable of distracting me. While we can't trust the outcomes of things to be as planned, we can make a promise to ourselves not to give up, and trust ourselves to keep it. I'm just starting to find peace in that. Keep on.

LonestarCowgirl

I think that being an adult is an objective idea that many people try to grasp to no avail.

So what does it mean to the individual, and not the collective?

To me, being an adult is doing the hard things with a smile and making the impossible possible (with or without a team); no excuses, let the skeptics frown. Expect more from yourself than from others. Most importantly, love your parents and your sibling unconditionally. Take care of them, but don't enable them, and expect nothing in return.