• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does being an Adult mean to you?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still feel that way sometimes. People sometimes seem to get old and take themselves and things way too seriously.
That's a good point. Being able to laugh at yourself is so important. My cousin is super sensitive and self-conscious, and cannot take a joke. Not even a good-natured, affectionate one. He is always imagining that people are making fun of him. And he's almost always unhappy.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I make it a point to be appreciative of all the little wonderful things that happen in life. I think that being grateful in life really makes a huge difference in whether you are happy or unhappy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kind of suspect that I fail at adulthood, which isn't helped by the fact that people always think that I'm in my early mid twenties until I tell them my age... it kind of makes me suspect that I don't act my age :unsure:

though I've generally been suspicious that adulthood involves things like tupperware parties, couponing, knowing how to dress in certain situations, talking about things like the quality of local schools and neighborhood safety and other such horrible things. I want no part of that sort of thing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
though I've generally been suspicious that adulthood involves things like tupperware parties, couponing, knowing how to dress in certain situations, talking about things like the quality of local schools and neighborhood safety and other such horrible things. I want no part of that sort of thing.

It doesn't have to if you don't want it to, and if you don't need to do those things to get by. Unless it's important for employment or health, anyone who says different can bugger off.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It doesn't have to if you don't want it to, and if you don't need to do those things to get by. Unless it's important for employment or health, anyone who says different can bugger off.

oh, I have no plans to start caring about that sort of thing... didn't say that I wanted to act like an adult :laugh:

have no kids and don't want any, so no reason to start thinking like a parent when I can be the one to play with bubble solution and eat gummy worms AND NOT SHARE

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was born old.

So very, very, very old.

And I dont mind that.
This is a reminder of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button movie, often seen as good, I found it incredibly boring. I find a thought when one takes the stance that they are 'old souls' or the like, it is taken in a place of empathy in understanding, or particular adult traits that hold strongly visible from our comparative past to our present as well as what others, older, have said about us in the past. This makes me wonder how adult traits are views, for an active adult who does sports may see adult traits in the active child by aligning adulthood virtues to activity. There are a lot of fine lines in adulthood/childhood expressions, but some are more prominent by understanding what most adults end up aligning towards based on how they grow.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This makes me wonder how adult traits are views, for an active adult who does sports may see adult traits in the active child by aligning adulthood virtues to activity.

You mean it's a subjective judgement dependent on the person making the judgement?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You mean it's a subjective judgement dependent on the person making the judgement?
In a way. There is a lot of society's values involved, and once separate, you've separated in the individual sense, what makes someone mentally old.

Lark

This is a reminder of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button movie, often seen as good, I found it incredibly boring. I find a thought when one takes the stance that they are 'old souls' or the like, it is taken in a place of empathy in understanding, or particular adult traits that hold strongly visible from our comparative past to our present as well as what others, older, have said about us in the past. This makes me wonder how adult traits are views, for an active adult who does sports may see adult traits in the active child by aligning adulthood virtues to activity. There are a lot of fine lines in adulthood/childhood expressions, but some are more prominent by understanding what most adults end up aligning towards based on how they grow.

I liked that movie alright, it bore little resemblance to the book of the same story.

I'm not sure what you mean, I dont think that children do exhibit adult traits and I think its dangerous to assert the same, people begin with a thought like that, stoke it and before long they find themselves arguing that things such as the age of majority is nonsense, child labour, early sexual activity, combat service and other sorts of adult responsibilities are all legit. Not saying that you believe that, its just a well trodden path I've seen other people rationalise and I dont think its a good one.

When I said I was born old I meant that I have generally identified with the values and norms and mores of an earlier stage in human history, it only becomes more so by the day, I think that a lot of the reasoning which carries off some pretty serious change at present is pretty shallow, lacks maturity and doesnt withstand much scrutiny and has a bunch of tools and tricks to prevent that ever happening even.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good question, I have really NO idea, because I am just a kid. I realize how bad it is, but I do not feel like an adult at all, I still feel like a teenager. 22 years old teenager, being an adult must really suck.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you speaking from your own experience? Myself, I think that education is important; it's the one thing that empowers people to better their own situation rather than becoming dependent on the more-privileged to assist them. I think to some extent, I'm as guilty of Cipher syndrome as anyone else; as much as I criticize others for this, I wish I'd taken the other pill. But for me, the way I'm constituted, there is no going back. My memory is too good for that; I don't feel that any amount of drinking or drugs will help me forget.
Perhaps partially. I am fortunate in that for most of my life, I have been in a position to help others, meaning I have generally had my own house in order. I have found it instructive, fulfilling, and a way to promote what I care about in the world, as well as a way to help others. For me, the two goals go hand in hand. If I try to do good in a way that doesn't challenge me or help me develop and apply my skills and talents, I can sometimes resent the effort and it's hard to keep at it. I'm excepting here brief one-off events like when I spent a weekend with a church group helping a community in a neighboring state clean up after flood damage.

I am also incorporating two complementary pieces of advice I have been given over the years. (1) Meet your own needs first. It is easier to help others when your own house is in order. Sort of like those airplane safety spiels that tell passengers to put on their own oxygen masks first before helping others. (2) Consider your realistic sphere of influence, and act to "fill" it, or push to the boundaries. Any more, and you are cheating (overextending) yourself; any less, and you are cheating those around you.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure what you mean, I dont think that children do exhibit adult traits and I think its dangerous to assert the same, people begin with a thought like that, stoke it and before long they find themselves arguing that things such as the age of majority is nonsense, child labour, early sexual activity, combat service and other sorts of adult responsibilities are all legit. Not saying that you believe that, its just a well trodden path I've seen other people rationalise and I dont think its a good one.
I disagree. It isn't universal, of course, but I have known plenty of children who exhibit more adult traits that supposed adults, and plenty of adults who act like juveniles. On the one hand I agree that even the most mature teenagers shouldn't be expected to shoulder adult responsibilities on their own yet. That being said, it wasn't that long ago that 16-19 year olds were often married, and running their own household. Children are capable of much more than we give them credit for, and much more than we often trust and allow them to do. We try to keep them childlke for far too long, then on the magic day they turn 18 or 21 or some age, they suddenly become adults. It doesn't work that way. They have to start slow, and learn as they go.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
When your idea of free time is drinking coffee and reading the news. Because fun is a waste of time/takes energy that you don't have.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. But sadly often true.

On a mental level though, I believe independence is the closest thing to adulthood.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
An age which requires mature features in humans.
Including behaviour and mental improvment.

However it also intracts with health issues and studies has found that eevry age is the same
More health problems unlock along with new rights and responsibilities.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Being able to change your long-held opinion.

What about religious people who have held to a long held opinion since childhood and never wavered from it? That's a long held opinion that suggests they never grew up.