• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does being an Adult mean to you?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think being an adult means taking responsibility for one's life, making one's own choices, and holding oneself accountable for those choices. If a person can't handle that responsibility, then that person is still a child, no matter how old they are.
This. Being an adult means making your own choices, accepting your own risks, and taking responsibility for your actions. I would add that it also includes being able to support yourself and to contribute in some way to the world at large.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This. Being an adult means making your own choices, accepting your own risks, and taking responsibility for your actions. I would add that it also includes being able to support yourself and to contribute in some way to the world at large.

How would you define "contribute to the world in some way to the world at large"?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How would you define "contribute to the world in some way to the world at large"?
Have a positive impact on people/things outside your immediate self, family, and circle of friends.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have a positive impact on people/things outside your immediate self, family, and circle of friends.

Sometimes I think this is important. Other times, I just feel like this is irrelevant and I don't owe the world a damn thing.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it means feeling responsible to take care of yourself and others, rather than the expectation to be taken care of by someone else. That is based on a child/parent dynamic, but applies whether or not you have children.

Even though I was independent and supported myself for several yeas, I don't think I felt like an adult prior to having children.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even though I was independent and supported myself for several yeas, I don't think I felt like an adult prior to having children.

I feel like an adult. I passed through fire and came out relatively unscathed. It was really rough for me for a long time, and only recently have things started to feel better. I've had to put up with a decent amount of shit, and I still found a way to not be a total misanthrope, in spite of it all.

I didn't have kids, but that's probably not something I want anyway.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
disguise

In the novel Cat's Eye Margaret Atwood wrote
AgpQ3.jpg

pluviophile

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
NFI
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hyperbole and a Half: This is Why I'll Never be an Adult

I'm afraid I might not ever be an adult, but I do have my trophy on the mantel. So, I suppose my definition of an adult: 1. an elusive level of achievement and stability which I fear I may never consistently attain 2. a person who makes themselves do all the shit they hate doing so that they aren't a burden to others

Crabs

Permabanned
I prefer to not add meaning to words which doesn't convey an objective, universal truth. In nature, the adult phase of an animal's life begins when it's capable of reproduction. In accordance with contemporary values, our society considers this phase beginning at a later age, usually around 18. If financial autonomy is the milestone people use to separate children from adults then a large portion of adults would fail to meet that criteria, including the majority of the lower class. The government has essentially become a surrogate parent that gives people an allowance via social programs. I'm always amused when someone lectures another person about being an adult when they themselves receive subsidized housing and/or thousands of dollars in welfare and food stamps. People with mental illnesses also have an additional barrier to overcome. When old age takes its toll, the elderly often rely on their children to take care of them, but they don't suddenly lose their adulthood when this happens. The word 'maturity' can have a subjective element to it. If we measure a person's maturity level by external factors according to what they have achieved in life, then someone like Adolf Hitler who rose to power and created his own empire, would be considered remarkably mature; though examination of his psyche suggests that he was quite emotionally immature. Kanye West is wealthier than most Americans, but the suggestion that he's a mature adult because of his success is downright laughable. He is, however, an adult - as is anyone who is sexually mature (or according to the law, 18 years of age).

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It means you dont rely on your parents for economical or emotional support.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

So almost no one is an adult then.

Frankly it means nothing to me. Apart from maybe the appearance of going along with what is deemed adult in order to seem adult so as to be adult and therefore understand adult.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Knowing you want to go back but can't because you don't know how to time travel

Having less free time

All these aches and pains

Worrying about money

Making a grunting sound when you have to get up from the sofa

All new music is shit (mostly)

Checking dat hairline

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I think this is important. Other times, I just feel like this is irrelevant and I don't owe the world a damn thing.
It's important even if you don't think you owe the world anything. It is a measure of whether you are fulfilling your potential, and in that sense, is something you owe yourself: to act on your values, your ideals, your vision for the world. Some people are hard put just to meet their own basic needs and those of their family. If that's all you have the resources for, then sure - that becomes your first and only priority. It's not a great leap to realize, though, when a broader change will help meet not only your needs but also the needs of others; or perhaps will allow you to do more than meet your needs, and start to address your wants. I suppose in a way it is a microcosm of "think locally, act globally".

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being an adult is not an objective thing. There are no milestones you reach, imo, to be considered "an adult." Being an adult is different to everyone. To some, it's paying bills on time and being stable. I did that at 18, but I did not consider myself to be an adult.

Some people consider hitting a certain age to render them adults. I've seen people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc who I would not consider to be adults.

Some of the wisest people do not consider themselves adults.

At any rate, I consider myself an adult because I actively try to look at things in a very mature, open minded light, and apply as much wisdom as possible to many situations. I'm irresponsible in classic, impulsive ENTP ways, but I still maintain a life of balance.

TL;DR idfk

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's important even if you don't think you owe the world anything. It is a measure of whether you are fulfilling your potential, and in that sense, is something you owe yourself: to act on your values, your ideals, your vision for the world. Some people are hard put just to meet their own basic needs and those of their family. If that's all you have the resources for, then sure - that becomes your first and only priority. It's not a great leap to realize, though, when a broader change will help meet not only your needs but also the needs of others; or perhaps will allow you to do more than meet your needs, and start to address your wants. I suppose in a way it is a microcosm of "think locally, act globally".
+1.

Also, yes, we are all accountable to ourselves, but we should remember that we're not accountable solely to ourselves. Young children don't realize this, which is why they act only to please themselves. An adult understands that "no man is an island", and that his actions affect not just himself, but the people around him.

Sadly, there are many "adults" who don't recognize this, and live their lives in a purely self-serving manner, damaging the people in their lives in the process.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Are you speaking from your own experience? Myself, I think that education is important; it's the one thing that empowers people to better their own situation rather than becoming dependent on the more-privileged to assist them. I think to some extent, I'm as guilty of Cipher syndrome as anyone else; as much as I criticize others for this, I wish I'd taken the other pill. But for me, the way I'm constituted, there is no going back. My memory is too good for that; I don't feel that any amount of drinking or drugs will help me forget.

+1.

Also, yes, we are all accountable to ourselves, but we should remember that we're not accountable solely to ourselves. Young children don't realize this, which is why they act only to please themselves. An adult understands that "no man is an island", and that his actions affect not just himself, but the people around him.

It's logical. Assisting others will assist yourself. For example, if you work at a company, and you try to avoid helping the customers as much as you possibly can, this ultimately hurts the company you work for, which hurts you, because if the company goes under, you are out of a job, or they outsource what you're doing offshore. It's amazing how many people don't understand this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the novel Cat's Eye Margaret Atwood wrote

AgpQ3.jpg

I still feel that way sometimes. People sometimes seem to get old and take themselves and things way too seriously.