• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology and the Astrolabe

Mole

Permabanned
Astrology is the Ur-religion. Astrology is the first religion. And the astrolabe is our first device for calculating horoscopes. The problem is that modern astronomy shows that astrology is nonsense. Yet go to the back of any woman's magazine and chances are we will find our horoscope being cast. We can find our horoscope in many newspapers. And astrology and horoscopes are part of the history of almost all religions. We cling to astrology almost as though our life depends on it.

Does this seem strange to you?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People cling to a lot of faulty and deceptive thinking that makes them feel better momentarily or allows them to make sense of a confusing world. Plus some just find it fun.

... so the answer is, "no, not really."

Rampant

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is not surprising.

Disappointing, but not surprising.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Most people treat horoscopes as fun and not as something serious.

And if somebody take horoscopes seriously... we have right to believe whatever we want, so why not.

Mole

Permabanned
People cling to a lot of faulty and deceptive thinking that makes them feel better momentarily or allows them to make sense of a confusing world. Plus some just find it fun.

... so the answer is, "no, not really."

It seems to me that once we understand that astrology is our first religion and precedes all the others, then the religious world makes more sense.

For instance, astrology permeates all religion, an example is the twelve signs of the zodiac and the twelve apostles of Christianity. And there are many, many more such examples.

So it seems to me that confusion is deliberate and chosen because confusion is a form of trance induction. And trance is the hallmark of religion.

This leaves us with the interesting question of what is the purpose of religious trance. And the answer is that when we are entranced our critical minds go to sleep and we believe whatever we are told. This is precisely what happens in astrology in religion and in cults.

The tragedy is that they pander to and groom children.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i would love to take a look at your birth chart, mole. :)

Mole

Permabanned
I'd cling to astrology, but it would make my guns super jealous. :2ar15:

#murrica

American gun culture and astrology induce a deep trance in the American psyche. And American gun culture and astrology pander to and groom American children.

It does seem that Americans are lovely entranced children who have their hands on great power but don't know what they are doing.

We have just witnessed the criminal invasion of Iraq and now Americans are alarming us all by making war noises towards our largest trading partner China. And the world's greatest killing machine, the American Marines, have set up Headquarters in my country, Australia.

So you can see why we worry about Americans being entranced by astrology and guns.

Mole

Permabanned
Most people treat horoscopes as fun and not as something serious.

And if somebody take horoscopes seriously... we have right to believe whatever we want, so why not.

Malignant narcissists believe whatever they want. The rest of us believe what can be determined through evidence and reason.

Mole

Permabanned
It is not surprising.

Disappointing, but not surprising.

What surprised me was to discover that all religions based on astrology are not based on evidence and reason but on induced trance.

And it is interesting that self respect is based on evidence and reason and desire is pandered to in trance.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Edmund_Blair_Leighton_-_Abelard_and_his_Pupil_Heloise.jpg

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
When you experience synchronicity you look up the word fractal and you discover that all things are connected, even mythology, to everything else. With a sliver of a story and some earth you should have sufficient information to rebuild the galaxy given a database of knowledge on certain generalities.

Do you know what I'm saying? If you look under the surface....it pertains directly to what your missing about astrology.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Astrology might be true and it might not. If space/time is effected by mass and vice versa then the planets have certain characteristics that affect any time and that includes us.

If the planets affect us, and the solar system, then the planets in conjunction with other objects have lead to this cocktail we call reality and has set up the stage for us to divine.

We divine...that is what humans do...if you want to be a toad, or a dolphin, you can't. You're a human. You will divine even if you chose not to as you will breath regardless of your choice unless you chose to exit the stage prematurely.

Even if you divine to know that you can disprove things which cannot be proven or disprove, you will still divine, like the rest of us...

You are not above the mud.

It is quite funny to think that someone is being objective by stating a normative or positive statement about astrology. To say astrology is rubbish is as religious as to say that it is true.

If you want to be free of religiosity, then never speak or breath. All humans are religious. Not a human has the power to remove his or her religiosity. You can be in denile about it but you can never be rid of it. You will always have superstitious elements.

And that is why they are true. Astrology is true in that sense. It is real. It lifts the soul and catalyzes humanity towards greatness. It gave birth to science, but actually it is the field science is in. Science is the product of astrology and also its contents.

Astrology will go on long after science...

Of course...we can pretend to be illogical and say we are logical about things, Mole...we could pretend to be robots and spray our bodies with gray paint and do the robot all night long.

But I would laugh at your crusty dance moves and grow bored of it. I would grow bored of my own dance moves too...and I would look to mercury, the symbol, and it would inspire me to generate revenue for a company that will inevitably take the earth to its gallows..

as you do the same...we do it in tandem...

and that is what astrology is about...the circle without lines...

it's all really simple...and direct, and relevant, for those who can look beneath the curtain.

Mole

Permabanned
When you experience synchronicity you look up the word fractal and you discover that all things are connected, even mythology, to everything else. With a sliver of a story and some earth you should have sufficient information to rebuild the galaxy given a database of knowledge on certain generalities.

Do you know what I'm saying? If you look under the surface....it pertains directly to what your missing about astrology.

It is an interesting theory that everything is connected to everything else, but if it is right it means an end to the theory of cause and effect.

Quantum theory does give some reason to doubt the theory of cause and effect, but in my opinion quantum theory is only a partial theory and doesn't account for gravity or dark energy. So I suspect that as we learn more, the theory of cause and effect will be more solidly based.

But in the meantime I suspect the theory that everything is connected to everything else is simply a trance induction to put our critical minds to sleep so we can be more easily manipulated.

And there is of course the fact that if everything is connected to everything else, then it is equally true that nothing is connected to anything else. Both of these fly in the face of the theory of cause and effect.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If the generation of planets produces permutations in time/space, then astrology is most certainly true in the sense that it is real.

Since story is the fruit of humanity, since it is the single thing which goes on after we all die, even the most rich and powerful among us cannot hold a candle to Robin Hood for it will be here Aeons after him, then Astrology is big business.

- - - Updated - - -

It is an interesting theory that everything is connected to everything else, but if it is right it means an end to the theory of cause and effect.

Quantum theory does give some reason to doubt the theory of cause and effect, but in my opinion quantum theory is only a partial theory and doesn't account for gravity or dark energy. So I suspect that as we learn more, the theory of cause and effect will be more solidly based.

But in the meantime I suspect the theory that everything is connected to everything else is simply a trance induction to put our critical minds to sleep so we can be more easily manipulated.

And there is of course the fact that if everything is connected to everything else, then it is equally true that nothing is connected to anything else. Both of these fly in the face of the theory of cause and effect.

I don't think cause and effect is negated by all things being connected at all times. I think that cause and effect for our purposes holds true...but the principles of astrology go beyond this time and place.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
this reminds me of an argument I once had with someone. They thought that a horse was also an Equus. I had to inform him, he had an IQ of 180, that he was wrong. Equus is the horse's Genus.

Then he said, what I predicted he would say, and that was that I was being a sophist and splitting hairs.

But I told him he was a damn moron. I pointed to a big fella and told him to go tell him that the horse was an Equus. My friend would not do that and immediately he saw the difference between reality and his feelings and thoughts.

Context my boy. Without context, all you are doing is mentally masturbating. That was the lesson for mr. Smart.

Never claim that a ferrari is its blueprint because you'll never get laid....that is the lesson..if we use that metaphor to describe the metaphor.

it seems random, doesn't it? IT's really direct though. What I'm saying couldn't be said any better and to the point.

If a man runs 100 miles because he thinks mercury is chasing him...then mercury chased him...

how else would he do 100?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A substantial number of off-topic posts has been moved. Please stay on topic.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
if a person reads, "pluto gives you power," and pluto gave him power who can deny the truth?

Let the least among you stone it.