• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

most people are not modern

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
my claim is simple. most people are not modern.

My argument is not so simple. If one does not know that they are at the whim and will of gods and goddesses then they are not modern. One cannot be beyond the level of a primitive person, as in crude, not necessarily indigenous or primal, if they do not understand that genetically they are wired to be polytheistic and monotheistic in the same breath.

If one cannot understand that one needs to see nature as much as nature needs to be seen then they are not operating on a level of modernity. The modern person is not modern because they use cars and computers or technology. The modern person is self aware of their symbolic nature which is what allows for technology to manifest...technology is the after thought of modernity, not the cause of it.

A modern person may shun technology, live as a hermit, and never so much as use toilet paper, but they are modern if they are aware that they are unaware and know what is eternal vs. transient.

Do not confuse my words for a literal truth either. Seldom is the garment the body, and seldom is the body the soul, and seldom is the soul the soul of the soul.

Can you tell that I've been reading the Zohar? Good...because it says the same thing as the Dao, and the Vedas.....it is all the same thing reflected on different glasses.

The modern person thinks like this not because I am proud to be a modern person, at times I am not modern at all, nor because it is some great thing to be modern but because the modern person ingests truth even if it hurts. It hurts me to say that most people are not modern because it means we will eventually perish into oblivion.

That is an eternal truth of course, for we will always perish into oblivion.

But the funny thing about it all is that in a few hours I will regress and become primitive again. I guess no one is a modern person. I wish I could name 'no one,' or give him a human name because then I could put him in a jar and poke him with a stick.

Ah but there I go again, demonstrating that even in a regressive state, a contradictory state, whereby I transcend, I can remain eternally modern, as long as I remember the universal language of symbolism and do not commit the blasphemy of literalism. If this is done then my own dogma is a joke and I have become a god among mini-gods (puts his finger near his mouth like dr. evil.)

TopCatLSD

I don't understand all your fancy talk. :huh:

All I know is that when I die I'm going to respawn at the nearest Vita-Chamber.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We like to keep
Some places wild
Like battlefields
Where no one fights

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is being Modern akin to a picturesque scene with skinny jeans, elvis costello glasses, sitting in Starbucks wearing a members only jacket and smoothing down a cappuccino, in front of an imac, with the books Walden and the Republic laid out on the brown stained table?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
my claim is simple. most people are not modern.

My argument is not so simple. If one does not know that they are at the whim and will of gods and goddesses then they are not modern. One cannot be beyond the level of a primitive person, as in crude, not necessarily indigenous or primal, if they do not understand that genetically they are wired to be polytheistic and monotheistic in the same breath.

If one cannot understand that one needs to see nature as much as nature needs to be seen then they are not operating on a level of modernity. The modern person is not modern because they use cars and computers or technology. The modern person is self aware of their symbolic nature which is what allows for technology to manifest...technology is the after thought of modernity, not the cause of it.

A modern person may shun technology, live as a hermit, and never so much as use toilet paper, but they are modern if they are aware that they are unaware and know what is eternal vs. transient.
I don't follow your argument entirely, but I agree with your conclusion for my own reasons. I would say most people are not modern because they still buy into old habits and traditions that prefer to promote divisions among people rather than rising above them to acknowledge and respond to our common humanity. The modern person realizes how little these divisions and distinctions matter: the figurative equivalent of those photos of the earth taken from space, where the complete absence of human-made borders and boundaries is glaringly obvious.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Is being Modern akin to a picturesque scene with skinny jeans, elvis costello glasses, sitting in Starbucks wearing a members only jacket and smoothing down a cappuccino, in front of an imac, with the books Walden and the Republic laid out on the brown stained table?

no but that's a funny thought.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't follow your argument entirely, but I agree with your conclusion for my own reasons. I would say most people are not modern because they still buy into old habits and traditions that prefer to promote divisions among people rather than rising above them to acknowledge and respond to our common humanity. The modern person realizes how little these divisions and distinctions matter: the figurative equivalent of those photos of the earth taken from space, where the complete absence of human-made borders and boundaries is glaringly obvious.

yup. that's what i meant more or less in my own words though.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

yup. that's what i meant more or less in my own words though.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Um.. Forgive me this is way off, but are you trying to say that as long as people have not adapted a holistic and fully informed mode of thinking about things then technically we have not evolved far enough far enough away from cavemen and close enough to the 'ideal' or fully capable and actualized human?

If this is what you are asking, and I am not sure if I understand what you are asking to a 100% degree, then I guess it all depends on where human potential ends. If we are all capable of acheiving more than we currently are today, then sure we are not living up to our potential, but if everyone is living up to what they personally are capable of doing then they are living up to what 'evolution' allows.

I would suppose that no, on the whole humanity could do more with themselves than they currently are, as in order to reach our 100% full potential 100% of people must be working to their 100% maximum at all times, but I do not really think that any group could really ever become fully 'evolved' as you say because it would be too unrealistic and unlikely to have everyone at all times be working at maximum capacity.

If you are talking about the human race and potential that we do not have to cope with the facets of general everyday life and the mysteries that plague us, then sure I agree we are not quite there yet.

We do not know everything and this might prevent us from manipulating life, our environment, and social/societal problems in a way a more developed 'species' might be able to, or understanding things absolutely completely.

We might not be able to solve global hunger, prevent global conflicts, or understand the depths beyond us, because quite possibly we have not evolved far enough to see effective solutions to these problems. But I am not sure of this means that we are not evolved, because it is hard to know if we are at stage 10/10 or stage 10/10000.

Sorry if this was completly off base or rambly. I tend to type in circles sometimes.

Tomb1

lmao