• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In biblical texts, was it real or just created by by someone's active imagination?

Bnova

MBTI Type
IXTX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
In biblical texts, was it real or just created by by someone's active imagination?

I'm sitting here and the question just jumped at me

you know long time ago there was a tribe of people who worshiped the sun because the elders needed something physical for its people to worship

the same idea gets pointed directly at Jesus, the physical manifestation of God

the Buddha statue in buddha temples

etc

etc

etc

we see physical matter being constructed in our everyday lives to register to the mind that this is what we worship and what we follow

but as reality is,you should ask yourself this question, is the reality you see now your perspective?, someone else's perspective? an illusion? an optical illusion?

what if everything you know to this day has just been limitations that the past put on you, we see this example in our everyday lives Adam and Eve were vegetarians, they only ate veggies when they were "created", people today are vegans , Moses asked God for meat,him and his people received meat , most people eat meat today

how about that first girl you fell in love with? she rejected you didnt she?, you thought she was perfect and now every girl that you meet you see that one girl and compare the two then you reject that girl that confronted you because she doesnt measure up to your first love bakaaaaa

we let the past define us, we cant see the future, we can make assumptions of the immediate future given our circumstances because we can see all the chess pieces on the board

we constantly build on the past and the immediate future

immediate future can span from 1 day to 15 years from now (i'm guessing cause theres people that plan perfectly enough for it)

when are we going to create something new? we see immediate future as new but its actually based on past workings

we are sheep compared to the source, but do we have to follow the source or the Sheppard blindly?

can we rebel against society and finally create something that past generations couldnt?

we see these creations in technology,but evens those creations are based on past work

maybe the human race is doomed to pursue the ultimate truth from past based perspectives?

maybe thats just life?

but what doesnt life teach you is the question here...what ISNT taught
thats the question you ask yourself when you question your beliefs and take a step towards self awareness

dont get me wrong though, I believe in God and his teachings,just like I believe in my own teachings because it is based off ancient workings, I'm on my way to create my own novel work, I suggest you do the same ;)

you are welcome :)

active imagination is a powerful created by Carl Jung, but people has been using that technique for ages he just had the opportunity to label the technique *standing ovation*

by now I hope you getting the picture

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
To answer the first question, there is truth in the bible in places, but it's so bulked up with confabulation that I cannot trust it as a reliable source of historical evidence.

KitchenFly

I remember watching a two or three part documentary called the power of meth by Josiah Campbell, it looked at the topic of the need for a spiritual narrative and meth. I found it informative.

As for the Bible, well what can I say? It was drafted by Humans to order Human activity and Human thinking and Human conduct. It was done back in time when social order was much different than today's social order.

I think it is a book that should be rewritten in fact I think it is a book that should be put on the shelf in a Liberty in a section called historical fiction.

There are some stories that are of value in it but over all it is a dishonest book that misdeeds the minds of people who are incur aged to make a life study of its content.

A sad reality, but it seems that communities of family networks still need the fiction of the bible to navigate through societies reality.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's a collection of various documents recorded for various purposes over 1500 years. That's not really a question, it wasn't spun up as Internet fan fic or as a Barnes & Noble "subversive history book." So yes, it's "real," but that term has different connotations depending upon the person.

You have history (from someone's perspective), you have family chronology, you have songs and poetry, you have cultural law, you have allegories and creation myth, you have spiritual instruction, you have church administrative policies, you have doctrinal treatises, you have prophetic visions, and so forth. "The Bible" is between two covers (the exact contents depending on broad denomination), but that doesn't mean it was a uniform and single-purposed document despite the marketing.

It's broad enough that a particular sect can take it and accentuate the parts that appeal to them to create their own spin on it. This actually has contributed to its success in various culture, Christianity in general has been malleable from culture to culture.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
So basically the question is whether you believe christianity and the words of the bible as truth.

Well, honestly I have never been an overly religious person so if I had to guess I would say that

1) there was some group of traveling revolutionaries that traveled around, Jesus was with them but he wasnt the son of god, he was just a man who claimed to do miracles. He did little things here and there, parlor tricks, to get people to believe. These things and his testimony were hyped up and written up by the people that he preached to. So no they were all exaggerations that grew upon each other.

2) jesus was so amazing and devine that everything he did was 100% accurate as written in the bible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...2) jesus was so amazing and devine that everything he did was 100% accurate as written in the bible.

John 21:25 (NIV): Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

:smile:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Eh I never read the bible, it is way too much for me.

John just sounds like he is looking for an excuse to be lazy. If he really cared about Jesus he would have sat down until his dying day and documented every single aspect of Jesus' life.

Who's to say though that John wasnt under some sort of delusion

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
John just sounds like he is looking for an excuse to be lazy. If he really cared about Jesus he would have sat down until his dying day and documented every single aspect of Jesus' life.

I doubt that books were as ubiquitous back then as they are today.
And the original gospels weren't written down for some years AD, at the least.

Who's to say though that John wasnt under some sort of delusion

...Shouldn't have eaten the magic mushrooms.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everything written in the Bible/Holy books are real except for the parts which have been proven historically and scientifically inaccurate and the controversial parts.

To directly answer the thread title: I don't think it's imagination. It's mostly legends gone down from one person to another with slight alterations taking place atleast from one generation to another.

God/gods however are myths.

God the world's biggest marketing tool. Paradise would be the reward for using this brand (The God given in their holy book) and hell would be the punishment for not believing in him.

Best marketing tool ever!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Bible contains a lot of mythology, along with laws, advice, poetry and prophesy all collected over centuries. Consider though that America has its own mythology, some of which made it into history books: Mayflower, Pilgrims and Indians, George Washington and cherry trees, Christopher Columbus, Johnny Appleseed. These are kind of outdated, because it's easier to differentiate old myth from current mythology. Some of it has truth in it, what makes it myth isn't its factuality, but how it guides the cultural consciousness.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, interviews with Abraham were pretty conclusive that he really heard the voice of God, and when Katie Couric tried to trip him up he kept the story completely straight. His neighbor said he was hitting the wine pretty hard when he wrote it all down, but the neighbor also was an attention whore and nobody really believes him.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
real? no. I think just a lot of allegories, legends and myths from Bronze Age and Neolithic peoples, which may be loosely based on real events. Like how the Great Flood may have happened in some sense, but not an actual Noah or Ark.

I'm not religious, but the Bible is a well-written work. for literary talent alone, i'll give the Apostles and the people who wrote the Old Testament 10/10.