• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

philosophical movies

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Gattaca gattaca gattaca

Um

Sling Blade

Im surprised no one else has said pleasantville I sort of liked that movie. It was similar to the Truman Show ish, not quite as good but interesting none the less. I already said that I think though.

Gosh I wish I could recommend more movies that were based on books but the movie versions are so much worse...

Um flightplan?

What Maisie knew.. Or saw? Not sure if its knew or saw

Timetravelers wife... Although this movie usually just leaves my mind in a total dissarray

Life of pi... Ending is open to interpretation. I thought the book itself was trying to be a bit too deep but that it just wasnt really hitting what they were tring to hit.

Oh and I really liked Gone Girl

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure if "Gone Girl" is philosophical in the way intended, but it does really explore the operation of the media and how there are "sides" to stories but none are necessarily the "most honest story." Everything is spin. As a movie, it has its ups and downs, but I did find it an interesting study in media; hell, they even have the Nancy Grace clone admitting she herself is just offering spin, for her own particular reasons.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Man from Earth is my absolute favorite movie. It's mostly a dude talking to his colleagues about having lived a long time -- experiences, thoughts, etc. It takes place in exactly one set.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:cry:

If that strikes a chord in you, might I suggest you read Emil Cioran?

Specifically: On the Heights of Despair.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw Ex Machina today, it certainly qualifies in terms of exploring artificial intelligence and what might be considered sentient life. (the movie is actually kind of disturbing in that regard, it smacks into exploitation and captivity head-on.)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does Cloud Atlas count as a philosophical movie? I feel like it does. Especially the segments with Sonmi-451. Fantastic movie that I highly recommend.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Saw Ex Machina today, it certainly qualifies in terms of exploring artificial intelligence and what might be considered sentient life. (the movie is actually kind of disturbing in that regard, it smacks into exploitation and captivity head-on.)

Oh yes, I haven't seen it yet, but trailers are looking very well. And it's about asking questions most intriguing in sf, so...

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Saw Boyhood today, and while I am not exactly sure what I would exactly call it, I would recommend it.

It is more like trying to give a glimpse of the realities of someones life, the good the bad and the ugly, and taking what you can from it, without changing anything from what it actually is. Not exactly sure I can put it into words well enough, but I would say that it is definately worth watching.

Tippo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Event horizon
Tron
Star Wars
Blade runner
The good the bad the ugly
To live and die in la
White sands
Less than zero

All good films

Raffaella

bon vivant
I liked these as well, but... Enter the Void might be hard for some people to sit through,

Yeah, that's the first film that came to mind. I know that people might object to certain parts but I had more issues with the gyrating camera-work and I watched it on my laptop. If you get motion-sickness, you should probably take some hyscoine or ginger before you watch this.

edit: Oh, and here's a great list.

Mane

Permabanned

Watch Chappie.

I did a bit of a movie run down while doing my recent time away, and while Ex Machina was interesting, Chappie turned out to be amazing. While the tropes they explore are similar and you'd think the 1st would be more philosophical because it was it's focus (and chappie looks like a short circuit remake), but the 2nd outdid it in almost every way IMO, going well beyond expectations and exploring their philosophical implications a lot further (Although you will still need to suspend your disbelief... That this isn't a short circuit remake). Certainly qualifies here.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll see. Your comments are actually the only good comments I've seen about that; the reviews were mostly "meh" on it. I've seen District 9 and Elysium, and Elysium was kind of "meh".

Mane

Permabanned
A few more missing entries:

The Life of David Gale
War Incorporated
Man of the Year
Flatland
Momento (Kind of)
Dark City
Children of Men
Fantastic Planet
The Butterfly Effect

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The 400 Blows

Little Children- and on that topic the Woodsman

The diving bell and the butterfly

We need to talk about Kevin

A clockwork orange

Might be verging away from philosophical but still most of these movies offered something.