• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attack

LonestarCowgirl

Not an excuse.

It's not my purpose to make excuses for the man or to encourage you to like him. Frankly, I don't like him for the same reason I don't like rap music; it's all disrespectful and degrading to me.

I'm merely here to throw out ideas that might help people understand why a man would say such horrible things about their fellow man.

á´…eparted

passages
It's not my purpose to make excuses for the man or to encourage you to like him. Frankly, I don't like him for the same reason I don't like rap music; it's all disrespectful and degrading to me.

I'm merely here to throw out ideas that might help people understand why a man would say such horrible things about their fellow man

And I am pointing out that it's not ok. Sure, he may have "reasons", but it doesn't change anything at all.

As far as I can tell why he may have been driven to it is of no concern to anyone, as it is non-impactful.

LonestarCowgirl

And I am pointing out that it's not ok. Sure, he may have "reasons", but it doesn't change anything at all.

As far as I can tell why he may have been driven to it is of no concern to anyone, as it is non-impactful.

Amen. It's nonsense and a waste of time trying to make sense of. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The thing is, folks, please take into consideration the guy wasn't raised like the rest of us. He's rough around the edges and hillbilly humor isn't pretty. Y'all just got a small taste of it in the article. I honestly think he was trying to do standup comedy and I imagine he thought it was pretty funny. I don't think there's anything more to it.

I am sick to death of this excuse, no matter who it's about. The douchbag frat boys in Oklahoma, the dipshit black activists in Ferguson or Phil Robertson. He isn't brain damaged and he isn't uneducated. This is 100% his choice to feel and act in the way he does.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'll make specific responses tomorrow.

For now I'll say that many of you are in a malaise.
You are frogs being slowly boiled and you like the comfort of the heat.
Until someone like Phil comes along and turns up the heat making you jump and be aware of the real consequence of heat.
And you hate him for it and only want to be returned to the comfort of the slow boil and ignore the reality of the heat.

Last edited:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Amen. It's nonsense and a waste of time trying to make sense of. :)

Well, I mean, I get what you're saying. There's no harm in trying to psychologically analyze why people feel the way they do and say the things they say. It's like trying to understand the psychological triggers of a serial killer (though obviously this is on a far less severe scale). Still, I don't think that he said this in a joking manner. It seemed rather serious.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that there's no harm in explaining someone's behavior! It's when it becomes and excuse that it gets ridiculous.

/DG/

Until someone like Phil comes along and turns up the heat making you jump and be aware of the real consequence of heat.
And you hate him for it and only want to be returned to the comfort of the slow boil and ignore the reality of your own beliefs.

Have you decided to take up Mole's posting in his absence?

LonestarCowgirl

I am sick to death of this excuse, no matter who it's about. The douchbag frat boys in Oklahoma, the dipshit black activists in Ferguson or Phil Robertson. He isn't brain damaged and he isn't uneducated. This is 100% his choice to feel and act in the way he does.
I am too, but I point it out because it's really not an excuse; there's a valid truth of nurture gone wrong and I don't know if it's possible to change people that weren't taught from the time they were little kids to be respectful to themselves and others. There's clearly something missing or not right with them in the head.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP

And you hate him for it and only want to be returned to the comfort of the slow boil and ignore the reality of your own beliefs.

I'm an atheist. I like Phil. I like old-time Southern good ol' boys. I hate the show Duck Dynasty because it's too scripted. But I like it when genuine good ol' boys do their thing naturally.

Phil can say what he wants. It's fun to see. Heat doesn't bother me.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm an atheist. I like Phil. I like old-time Southern good ol' boys. I hate the show Duck Dynasty because it's too scripted. But I like it when genuine good ol' boys do their thing naturally.

Well at least we could have a beer together.

á´…eparted

passages

And you hate him for it and only want to be returned to the comfort of the slow boil and ignore the reality of the heat.

LMAO :rofl1:. Oh, oh this is rich.

1. You're not going to get anyone to respect you, or listen to you approaching it like this. You're basically saying "I'm right, you're wrong and there's nothing you can do about it!". Cue everyone else digging their heels in and pushing back. It leaves no room for discussion or movement. Which is flat illogical because you can't even prove either side in the first place.

2. This is the exact kind of fear mongering that turns a lot of people off to religion in the first place. It's one step back from "believe or die!". If you actually wanted to solve things from your religious view standpoint, you'd not approach it from this angle. This sort of stance garners 0 respect for anyone with half a brain. So at the end of the day, this (ironic because of the thread title) appears like nothing more than a direct attack on anyone who doesn't share your views.

3. This is absolutely laughable that you're aligning yourself with this guy. It's such a blatently obvious case of "slippery slope" that holds no salt and hasn't, nor will it come to pass. People do not need religion to function. Period.

4. This is more or less just vindictive.

Based off this I am just going to assume you meant what I guessed in your previous post which said:

Seriously, I don't understand why Christians are expected to shoulder the burden of the hell that lies within their system of beliefs and yet atheists don't have to shoulder the burden of the absolute abyss that lurks beneath all their beliefs.

You know what this boils down to "WAHHHH! I have to live in fear! It's not FAIR that others don't have to suffer like I do! They should suffer too goddamnit!". ...that is absolutely completely pathetic, childish, and flat cruel. Instead of wanting to raise other people up you want to drag them down? This isn't any different than tumblr SJW folk who want to knock down anyone who isn't multiple minoritys a peg. Except, this is actually worse since you've aligned yourself with someone who has said things that suggest direct harm to other people. It's been suggested and suspected by a lot of people here that you look down on atheists and non believers like yourself, but man this really sheds light on how really low you think of them.

While I do understand a lot of this is stemming what appears to be like fear and desire to protect the world, and not so much out of direct anger. Oh ho, that doesn't change it though. Not at all. This is about as low as low can get. Good luck digging out of this one.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am too, but I point it out because it's really not an excuse; there's a valid truth of nurture gone wrong and I don't know if it's possible to change people that weren't taught from the time they were little kids to be respectful to themselves and others. There's clearly something missing or not right with them in the head.

Well I agree with that. Same as there is something wrong with this father that feels that speaking to his atheist son - “The reality is, you’re talking to a dead person.”

Father Of Atheist Tells CNN His Son Is 'a Dead Person' Because That's What the Bible Teaches - The Daily Banter

/DG/

LonestarCowgirl

Well I agree with that. Same as there is something wrong with this father that feels that speaking to his atheist son - “The reality is, you’re talking to a dead person.”

Father Of Atheist Tells CNN His Son Is 'a Dead Person' Because That's What the Bible Teaches - The Daily Banter
I think that's abusive, and definitely not what the Bible teaches Christians to say to their children or anyone for that matter. Faith, hope, love... 1 Corinthians 13:4-13...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

/DG/

I think that's abusive, and definitely not what the Bible teaches Christians to say to their children or anyone for that matter. Faith, hope, love... 1 Corinthians 13:4-13...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Ehh...well maybe. But there is also a lot in the Bible about stoning people to death. There are a lot of archaic laws there. Obviously in this day and age, these passages are rejected. But it's a bit odd that such a text is still followed when only certain pieces are emphasized.

Example (killing followers of other religions): https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+17:2-5&version=NIV

LonestarCowgirl

Ehh...well maybe. But there is also a lot in the Bible about stoning people to death. There are a lot of archaic laws there. Obviously in this day and age, these passages are rejected. But it's a bit odd that such a text is still followed when only certain pieces are emphasized.

Example (killing followers of other religions): https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+17:2-5&version=NIV
That's in the old testament and perhaps taken out of context or misinterpreted. Without getting into a deep philosophical discussion, I'll simply say, the Bible is a love story and God is love. That's the big picture. Many Christians get it and some don't. The father in the article [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] posted doesn't get it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I just wanted to see some fireworks. :p