• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attack

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is Phil Robertson even getting at with that flimsy metaphor? Is he implying that people who don't believe in a god are amoral and incapable of telling right from wrong? Then how does he account for the Five Precepts of Buddhism?

:laugh:

Surely, he's never even heard of those.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't believe in God, but when I see another person, I want to treat them well, because they feel like an extension of myself. I share the pain of the world, so why wouldn't I want to alleviate some of it (or at least not add to the pain). Sometimes I do feel cut off from that feeling of unity and will say/do mean things. I'm not perfect. The key for me is to remember, even when I don't feel connected to everything, that I am. So if I cause pain during a moment of disconnection, I know I'll only regret it later, once I reconnect.

Passacaglia

Phil Robertson said:
Wouldn't it be something if this was something wrong with this? But you're the one who says there is no God, there's no right, there's no wrong, so we're just having fun.

But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical.
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Oh, the things that simple fundies say.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sensationalism. We've heard variations of this about a billion times. It's the same old gut-wrenching nonsense, but this time spouted by a guy that people actually listen to.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seriously, I don't understand why Christians are expected to shoulder the burden of the hell that lies within their system of beliefs and yet atheists don't have to shoulder the burden of the absolute abyss that lurks beneath all their beliefs.

Just because one doesn't believe in a God it doesn't mean that person lacks empathy. So if the whole world would become atheist one day it doesn't mean they would commit heinous crimes on each other till everyone is tortured and killed.

People have empathy. It's biological.

^ Ironically that's one main thing God in Abrahimic religions seem to lack among many other thing.

--------------------

The murdered and the rapist described it surely a psychopath; who are another wonderful gift from God. And guess what, there is no cure?

Also there are quite a lot of God believers (including Christians) that has committed many atrocities due to influences of their Holy books. So it seems that not believing in an afterlife doesn't necessarily mean less more crimes would be commited than those who do.

Nicodemus

Nobody here can seriously deny the fact that Atheists do not believe in a universal right and wrong or in a final judgement.
How long do you plan to dig up this late horse? You are the only person here who thinks he needs universals to take a piss.

Universal right and wrong are not necessary to judge any event in history. Human concepts, grown out of emotion and reflection, are perfectly sufficient. If you have trouble getting it in your head that atheists use these words with different meaning (not referring to absolutes, that is), you can exchange them in your head for various words describing possible dispositions toward a matter ranging from total agreement to total disagreement. Though it is probably true that some atheists unreflectedly believe in absolute moral values, it is not the case that reflecting on them would necessarily result in a more lenient judgment. After all, in most cases, morality resides in the guts.

Lark

The english in that article is awful, so is the incident which triggered it.

Cygnus

This sort of claptrap isn't worth paying any attention to, let alone discussing.

Now that you mention it, thinking ultra-extremist barbarians are at all representative of the modern human state is like condemning a restaurant because they served you one burnt fry.

Mane

Permabanned
It, not him.

;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Christianity preach that once these child raping & murdering people accept Jesus Christ as their savior (And according to jail statistics they will almost certainly will), they will be accepted into heaven? Didn't Jesus die for their sins, including those? And if that's the case, isn't god the lenient one? If god is rewarding our child murdering rapist, and we still agree that this is bad behavior, are we not creating a moral standard divorced from that of god?

Look, I don't expect you to change your beliefs in regards to god or religious morals, that is your own business, but I do think you are capable of understanding how atheists and agnostic are able to incorporate humanitarian and empathetic values without dependence of god, because if you believe that the child killing rapists are doing something bad - despite the belief that god might later accept them into heaven - you are doing the same.

And I am guessing you do, because you are capable of visualizing the pain of the daughters and their parents and see how much suffering these action cause, and you are capable of getting angry at these bastards for causing it, and wishing them away. You don't need the belief in god, you just need a belief in other people.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Christianity preach that once these child raping & murdering people accept Jesus Christ as their savior (And according to jail statistics they will almost certainly will), they will be accepted into heaven? Didn't Jesus die for their sins, including those? And if that's the case, isn't god the lenient one? If god is rewarding our child murdering rapist, and we still agree that this is bad behavior, are we not creating a moral standard divorced from that of god?

Look, I don't expect you to change your beliefs in regards to god or religious morals, that is your own business, but I do think you are capable of understanding how atheists and agnostic are able to incorporate humanitarian and empathetic values without dependence of god, because if you believe that the child killing rapists are doing something bad - despite the belief that god might later accept them into heaven - you are doing the same.

And I am guessing you do, because you are capable of visualizing the pain of the daughters and their parents and see how much suffering these action cause, and you are capable of getting angry at these bastards for causing it, and wishing them away. You don't need the belief in god, you just need a belief in other people.

+ 174829482937

I must add to your second para: empathy is biological. Unless you are a psychopath we all have empathy to various degrees. It's not something one need sto sit down, think and incorporated into one's life and it's definitely not something that only has its roots in a god fearing culture - i believe yiu mentioned the latter.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For example when atheist (OR MOST PEOPLE) hear stories of unjust, corruption, rape, murder, brutality etc happening in a completely different community, country, religious group, ethnicity there is feelings of sadness followed by anger and a strong need to see justice taking place/counter action.

You see THAT DIDN'T REQUIRE A BELIEF IN A GOD DID IT?

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5789]Beorn[/MENTION] ^

ygolo

My termites win
"If you don't believe in my conception of God, then I can rape your family, and you have no way to judge me as wrong" is about the most baseless moral argument I have ever heard.

This guy will go into a Confucian home in China and do this?

He would go into a secular humanist's and do this?

Religions besides Christianity have moral codes. Atheists have moral codes.

Most Atheists I know have a better understanding of what Jesus preached than any Christian I know understands what Confucius or John Rawls wrote.

Some have spent years studying the Bible even with serious consideration to becoming Christian.

The only Christians I know who have informed themselves that deeply about another belief system are Christian Appologists.

Last edited:

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The argument here, used by many religious people is that people are naturally evil. That we all want to rape, kill, dominate and destroy and the only way we can be saved is through the word of their god alone. Here they go again, using fear as a weapon.

Y'know I've seen small children do what small children do, that amazing state before society has the chance to mould them. And you know what, they behave better than we do, there is an instinctual kindness and sociability to them. They do not judge us and they do not hate. This goes to show this fearmongering from the religious is artificial and toxic.