• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Immanual Kant not nearly as smart as we thought?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

e85150dfd1d9471d534ba063f680904a.jpg

Education doesent necessarily have to mean school, but you get educated all the time from other people. Kant didnt say that you shouldnt listen to what others say, so you can still educate yourself from them, but the point of this education should be you learning to think on your own, rather than just learning behavioral patterns from others.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
e85150dfd1d9471d534ba063f680904a.jpg

Education doesent necessarily have to mean school, but you get educated all the time from other people. Kant didnt say that you shouldnt listen to what others say, so you can still educate yourself from them, but the point of this education should be you learning to think on your own, rather than just learning behavioral patterns from others.

Got it.

Passacaglia

Methinks philosophical pursuits are a Maslow thing. Which begs the question of the nature of philosophical pursuits, i.e. that we have the luxury of time and ability to pursue these matters in the first place, i.e. there aren't that many 3rd world philosphers.
Ayup. If you've got the time to read a bunch of philosophy going back to the classical era, digest it, form your own detailed philosophical variant, and then write entire books about it, chances are real good that you were born into wealth and affluence.

Personally I think Kant has some good and some bad ideas. Like the categorical imperative? Not a fan. I don't believe in absolutes, as they tend to be the result of dogmatism or naivety, and can result in absolute insanity. But Kant's idea that if one can't prove or disprove something definitively -- as the case is with most ideas -- it is acceptable to ask 'What would be the benefits of believing in one idea vs. another idea?' And then believing in one idea or another based on the answer. That's good stuff!