• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't see how God could plausibly exist (Christian definition of God)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Today is Sunday... maybe there was some extra blood of Christ involved. But we're not going to flame Lark about him using "Bitches" to help explain God's existence. I'm a Believer now I don't know about you.

F

figsfiggyfigs

LMAO lark! :rofl1:

What needs to be elaborated on?

I don't see what's difficult about this...

It is extremely easy to reconcile Christianity with the Big Bang and evolution.

The point is to support your argument with some sort of explanation.

Asking for an explanation, does not mean I find the it difficult to understand, I merely ask to collect a better understanding.

Lark

LMAO lark! :rofl1:

Asking for an explanation, does not mean I find the it difficult to understand, I merely ask to collect a better understanding.

"Bitches" but also "God Exists"

Crystal clear. :D

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

My point is, "Why?"

I've done it before; therefore, I know it can be done; therefore, what is interesting about doing so, at least for me?

I'm not a Christian trying to proselytize to the masses in order to save them from Eternal Damnation or anything.

It's easy to reconcile Christianity with the Big Bang and evolution, but that doesn't mean it interests me anymore.

Fuckin a... alright... you've appealed to my weak spot... here it goes...

So, God made the Big Bang happen ~14B years ago, the universe has been expanding ever since then, ~4.3B years ago the Earth formed from elements in space, gravity, and whatever other natural forces may have been involved, and, sometime between now and then, life began evolving on it.

A little over 2,000 years ago, one of these life forms that evolved, happened to be born in a manger in Bethlehem to a virgin named Mary, and this Being was actually God's Only Begotten Son, sent to sacrifice his life for the forgiveness of our sins. Three wise men visited him when he was born. So did an angel.

:jew:

----------------:jesus:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

:static::static::static::static::static:

Lark

My point is, "Why?"

I've done it before; therefore, I know it can be done; therefore, what is interesting about doing so, at least for me?

I'm not a Christian trying to proselytize to the masses in order to save them from Eternal Damnation or anything.

It's easy to reconcile Christianity with the Big Bang and evolution, but that doesn't mean it interests me anymore.

Fuckin a... alright... you've appealed to my weak spot... here it goes...

So, God made the Big Bang happen ~14B years ago, the universe has been expanding ever since then, ~4.3B years ago the Earth formed from elements in space, gravity, and whatever other natural forces may have been involved, and, sometime between now and then, life began evolving on it.

A little over 2,000 years ago, one of these life forms that evolved, happened to be born in a manger in Bethlehem to a virgin named Mary, and this Being was actually God's Only Begotten Son, sent to sacrifice his life for the forgiveness of our sins. Three wise men visited him when he was born. So did an angel.

:jew:

----------------:jesus:

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

:static::static::static::static::static:

God Damnit!!!

The Shepards God Damnit!!!

Without the Shepards it makes no damn sense at all!!!

Lark

Oh, I'm sorry...

Shepherds were involved as well.

:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

:moodeath:

See how it makes perfect sense now? Its difficult to argue with that, big bang or no big bang.

NB for a Nietzsche fan you do seem kinda serious at times, you grand or what's up with yah?

Last edited:

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Oh, I'm sorry...

Shepherds were involved too...

-----------------:jew:

------------------:jesus:

------------:worthy::worthy::worthy:

--:static::static::static::static::static:

:sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

:moodeath::moodeath::moodeath::moodeath::moodeath:

f4e82041-75ff-4ebb-a805-a090c0edfc06.gif

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
"Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet believe."

- John 20:29 -

I was thinking about this the day before yesterday.

I'm not trying to discount your faith or anything, but, as a former Christian, I feel compelled to mention that, well, that passage is a phenomenal piece of circuitry to install into the brains of (potential) followers who you desire to have completely brainwashed into devoutly/blindly following your cause, regardless of its actual veracity.

Doesn't make it any less true if the cause is true, but, well, it's still a damn effective tool, even if it's not...

:shrug:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not trying to discount your faith or anything, but, as a former Christian, I feel compelled to mention that, well, that passage is a phenomenal piece of circuitry to install into the brains of (potential) followers who you desire to have completely brainwashed into devoutly/blindly following your cause, regardless of its actual veracity.

Doesn't make it any less true if the cause is true, but, well, it's still a damn effective tool, even if it's not...

Agreed. There's a silent addendum to this:

"Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet believe (in what I'm saying, not what the other guys are telling you)."

Lark

Well it would depend on your interpretation, objectively you cant compell belief, those who experience it easily and without doubt are blessed, in the way a lottery winner could be considered blessed. Its not about trying to guilt people into believing without evidence, if you read the gospels and acts of the apostles they all required evidence, over and over and over again, even with the evidence some of them betrayed Jesus or proved human all to human when put to the test.

Lark

Agreed. There's a silent addendum to this:

"Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet believe (in what I'm saying, not what the other guys are telling you)."

Such cynical and modern, prolestysing version of religion. I often wonder what sort of insidious evangelising people have experienced that they are so turned off from it, its supposed to be properly understood as good news.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Such cynical and modern, prolestysing version of religion. I often wonder what sort of insidious evangelising people have experienced that they are so turned off from it, its supposed to be properly understood as good news.

I can see it from your perspective, basically, "Yay for me". But as soon as it is quoted to a non-believer the meaning changes entirely.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Well it would depend on your interpretation, objectively you cant compell belief, those who experience it easily and without doubt are blessed, in the way a lottery winner could be considered blessed. Its not about trying to guilt people into believing without evidence, if you read the gospels and acts of the apostles they all required evidence, over and over and over again, even with the evidence some of them betrayed Jesus or proved human all to human when put to the test.

I cannot accept the word "blessed" being used to describe those with blind faith.

Were the most readily believing followers of the Heaven's Gate cult blessed as well?

I believe it's the part that says "you're going to hell if you don't believe this", even though there are plenty of other religious options out there (some of which claim the very same thing [and with equal "certainty"]), but none of which can actually provide more or better evidence of their actual Divinity than any other.

That is each and every believer.

First reaction: good point.

On second thought: nowadays at least.

Third thought: well, if something akin to experiencing "the Holy Spirit" counts as "seeing", that would be a very important caveat.

I happened to experience something akin to what one might call "the Holy Spirit" last night, on my yoga mat, surrounded by 20-25 other people who likely were not experiencing the same thing as me at all. This by no means happens every time I am on my yoga mat, nor, when it does happen, does it necessarily last the entire time. But what I can tell you is that each and every time it has occurred, it happens to coincide with, and, in some sense, be the sustenance and fuel for, what I could only call the greatest, most beautiful, most graceful moments of my five-plus years practicing yoga: I perform the asanas better, I breathe better, I approach perfection. For whatever reason, in the rather rare moments this occurs, I feel like I am directly communicating with God/the Universe/Being.