• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't see how God could plausibly exist (Christian definition of God)

Mole

Permabanned
Art and Religion

I suppose you would then argue that all art is by nature propaganda?
The comparisons you draw are frequently nonsensical. The problem with shoe-horning poetic language into discourse, is that it fails as poetry and as discourse.

All art found its origins in religion. So art was originally religious. But as we matured as a civilization, art emancipated itself from religion.

However art mirrors its origins in that both religion and art depend on the suspension of disbelief.

However by continuing to insult myself and others, you risk being banned.

Mole

Permabanned
Poetry and Prose

The comparisons you draw are frequently nonsensical. The problem with shoe-horning poetic language into discourse, is that it fails as poetry and as discourse.

Print separated poetry and prose, but the electronic internet brings them together in a fruitful marriage.

Nicodemus

He created because He is love and wanted other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide.
According to your interpretation, he is also vanity. But if he is indeed love and if he wants to spread enjoyment, why did he make his creations so violent, the nature of this world so hostile - and why are there no happy people living on the moon? If this gift is so great, why are there so few gifted with it? Most importantly, though, why did he want "other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide"? Please keep in mind that he has the ability to provide just about everything.

If God is part of your community. He's not some impersonal thing sitting in the corner watching as you and your friends play.
I have never seen him anywhere. You must be hallucinating.

His name's at stake. That's pretty big one would think? The Devil made some implications about His right to rule over human beings. At the same time, he implied that each of us, if it came between God and our own lives, we'd deny God.
His name is at stake in his own fucking universe? Are you kidding me?

Then what's the point of allowing you to live? See the first point. He could have destroyed those two, and the devil, and started over, or just let it be, but he chose not to.
There is no point. It makes no sense for him to let a failed experiment go on, especially if his intention was to share with his creation the gift of love.

This questions says more about you than it does the book. Have you really asked Him to help you understand it? Have you even read it, or basing your opinions on what others have said about it? You could be letting your eternal future play out based on somebody else's opinion. He hates people who aren't humble and actually makes it impossible for you to understand what you are reading.
I take it that you still have no answer. Not surprising. You may want to reflect about the reasons.

Your opinion.
No, I simply assigned the proper word to your description.

Lark

On the other hand, considering the original post and title of the thread, God isnt plausible, I mean if God where plausible would it still be God?

Nicodemus

On the other hand, considering the original post and title of the thread, God isnt plausible, I mean if God where plausible would it still be God?
Yes. But the notion that god is nonsense is accurate as well.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it is totally plausible for God to exist as the Christians describe. But the fact is, if they are right, he's someone I don't want to be associated with.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
According to your interpretation, he is also vanity. But if he is indeed love and if he wants to spread enjoyment, why did he make his creations so violent, the nature of this world so hostile - and why are there no happy people living on the moon? If this gift is so great, why are there so few gifted with it? Most importantly, though, why did he want "other beings to enjoy what he had the ability to provide"? Please keep in mind that he has the ability to provide just about everything.

I have never seen him anywhere. You must be hallucinating.

His name is at stake in his own fucking universe? Are you kidding me?

There is no point. It makes no sense for him to let a failed experiment go on, especially if his intention was to share with his creation the gift of love.

I take it that you still have no answer. Not surprising. You may want to reflect about the reasons.

No, I simply assigned the proper word to your description.

On my way out for the evening. I'll look to reply later, if not, tomorrow.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
All art found its origins in religion. So art was originally religious. But as we matured as a civilization, art emancipated itself from religion.

However art mirrors its origins in that both religion and art depend on the suspension of disbelief.

However by continuing to insult myself and others, you risk being banned.

I won't be banned for asking you questions, or for making judgements as to the clarity of your posts. Please consider recalibrating your sense of what is insulting. I agree with the rest of your statement, taken at face value...

I think this discussion is out of place in this thread, so I'll say goodbye.

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
To approach the issue of God's existence is to assume your own sovereignty and not Gods'. To ask the question "Does God exist?" is ultimately foolish and a waste of time because His existence (or lack thereof, hypothetically) is a matter of truth and spirituality not your own conclusions.

Instead, seek God Himself. If you do not find Him, then it is of no [further] consequence that you haven't.

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?"

Seek God Himself. To seek to define God by your own presuppositions is to take the place of God and all you will end up with is worthless idols of your own creation.

Humanity has been doing this since the dawn of time, with each generation earnestly believing they will succeed where the last has failed. Such is the effect of the original lie and the fall of man. Man has fallen and cannot get back up on his own.

How can one who has fallen get back up? Can he lift himself back up on his own? No, for he is still in the state that caused him to fall. Only if another comes and picks him up can he stand again.

Man has fallen from God by our own folly, which was capitalized upon not by the creator Himself but the creator of lies.

Anyone who says he is never wrong is a liar, and has been lied to. Look around. You see the deception of others, do you not know you've also been deceived? Of course not, because the deception is effective. I will not lie to you, I am also deceived. I am even now in a state of self-deception of my state of deception which I struggle to free myself from to no avail.

I was born a wolf, and at best I am a goat, now my only hope is to be a lamb. Do as I do, not to free yourself, but to change your mind and seek God, the one you have fallen from. Why do you lay on the ground and gather together dirt to make your own god? Look and see that He has bent Himself to you graciously to pick you up. No, in fact He has cast Himself on the ground for you to fall upon. Such is the God you seek: He blessed you in your creation, but you spit in His face and run away, and yet He still seeks to save you from your own self-destruction. You run away from Him to your own suffering and destruction but He remains unchanging in His love, never forcing, but asking that you turn back... not to place the penalty you know you deserve on your head but to forgive and forget. God is here, He is very real, and if you want to understand Him you must see that He is seeking a relationship with you before the rest of it makes sense. If I say "seek God Himself" and you say "how?", you should know, God knows the number of hair you have (for bald people that's not so impressive I understand). You are an infant in knowledge in comparison, so speak, aloud or in silence, and start asking for Him. Be persistent in asking, be annoying, inconvenience God with all that you ask for... this is far preferable to Him than your life so far of ignoring/ignorance.

Why do you trade eternal gifts which would be given to you freely if you would only take them? Instead you opt for empty intellectualizing and philosophy. Even a rock has more intelligence than you, it does not deny its Creator. All that you are seeking to do now bears the mark of the first lie: that you would establish yourself apart from your maker. But unlike the angels, you are made in the image of your maker, and your maker has such love for you that He bears with your lie in hopes you find the Truth that is only in Him. He waits for you 24/365. If you want the truth, I will say it again, seek God Himself. I cannot do anything for you because I am just like you, but I can point you in the right direction. I say that not because I know the truth with absolution, but I have found it in Jesus (God's incarnation on earth... carne, like chili con carne, God with meat) and I would be a liar to not tell you that.

G

Ginkgo

Even a rock has more intelligence than you, it does not deny its Creator.

dammm.gif

Nicodemus

To approach the issue of God's existence is to assume your own sovereignty and not Gods'. To ask the question "Does God exist?" is ultimately foolish and a waste of time because His existence (or lack thereof, hypothetically) is a matter of truth and spirituality not your own conclusions.

Instead, seek God Himself. If you do not find Him, then it is of no [further] consequence that you haven't.

"What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator. Does a clay pot argue with its maker? Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you're doing it wrong!' Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be?"

Seek God Himself. To seek to define God by your own presuppositions is to take the place of God and all you will end up with is worthless idols of your own creation.

Humanity has been doing this since the dawn of time, with each generation earnestly believing they will succeed where the last has failed. Such is the effect of the original lie and the fall of man. Man has fallen and cannot get back up on his own.

How can one who has fallen get back up? Can he lift himself back up on his own? No, for he is still in the state that caused him to fall. Only if another comes and picks him up can he stand again.

Man has fallen from God by our own folly, which was capitalized upon not by the creator Himself but the creator of lies.

Anyone who says he is never wrong is a liar, and has been lied to. Look around. You see the deception of others, do you not know you've also been deceived? Of course not, because the deception is effective. I will not lie to you, I am also deceived. I am even now in a state of self-deception of my state of deception which I struggle to free myself from to no avail.

I was born a wolf, and at best I am a goat, now my only hope is to be a lamb. Do as I do, not to free yourself, but to change your mind and seek God, the one you have fallen from. Why do you lay on the ground and gather together dirt to make your own god? Look and see that He has bent Himself to you graciously to pick you up. No, in fact He has cast Himself on the ground for you to fall upon. Such is the God you seek: He blessed you in your creation, but you spit in His face and run away, and yet He still seeks to save you from your own self-destruction. You run away from Him to your own suffering and destruction but He remains unchanging in His love, never forcing, but asking that you turn back... not to place the penalty you know you deserve on your head but to forgive and forget. God is here, He is very real, and if you want to understand Him you must see that He is seeking a relationship with you before the rest of it makes sense. If I say "seek God Himself" and you say "how?", you should know, God knows the number of hair you have (for bald people that's not so impressive I understand). You are an infant in knowledge in comparison, so speak, aloud or in silence, and start asking for Him. Be persistent in asking, be annoying, inconvenience God with all that you ask for... this is far preferable to Him than your life so far of ignoring/ignorance.

Why do you trade eternal gifts which would be given to you freely if you would only take them? Instead you opt for empty intellectualizing and philosophy. Even a rock has more intelligence than you, it does not deny its Creator. All that you are seeking to do now bears the mark of the first lie: that you would establish yourself apart from your maker. But unlike the angels, you are made in the image of your maker, and your maker has such love for you that He bears with your lie in hopes you find the Truth that is only in Him. He waits for you 24/365. If you want the truth, I will say it again, seek God Himself. I cannot do anything for you because I am just like you, but I can point you in the right direction. I say that not because I know the truth with absolution, but I have found it in Jesus (God's incarnation on earth... carne, like chili con carne, God with meat) and I would be a liar to not tell you that.
I hope this is a parody.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
So, what are the rules here.
Making up totally self referent stories and circular arguments without ever bothering to use any kind of empirical data?
Isn't that what's in every single fiction book? No, actually most fiction books have way more basis in reality.

I cannot begin to fathom how I could ever fight such intellectual giants.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” ~ Galileo

Beorn

Permabanned
So, what are the rules here.
Making up totally self referent stories and circular arguments without ever bothering to use any kind of empirical data?
Isn't that what's in every single fiction book? No, actually most fiction books have way more basis in reality.

I cannot begin to fathom how I could ever fight such intellectual giants.

1) All belief systems are self-referential and circular. It is inescapable. The atheistic worldview is based on unprovable presuppositions as well.

2) Who's to say who is and who is not an intellectual giant? More importantly, if you can't ultimately assign any value to intelligence what does it matter?

If you are an atheist you are in no position to make any kind of value judgment. There is no good or bad. There is nothing good about being intelligent and nothing bad about being stupid. There is only what is. So you really can't complain about people making circular arguments. I mean you can... it's just that you will be behaving in a manner that's inconsistent with atheism.

And what are your true beliefs if you do not act according to the one's you espouse?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
1) All belief systems are self-referential and circular. It is inescapable. The atheistic worldview is based on unprovable presuppositions as well.

2) Who's to say who is and who is not an intellectual giant? More importantly, if you can't ultimately assign any value to intelligence what does it matter?

If you are an atheist you are in no position to make any kind of value judgment. There is no good or bad. There is nothing good about being intelligent and nothing bad about being stupid. There is only what is. So you really can't complain about people making circular arguments. I mean you can... it's just that you will be behaving in a manner that's inconsistent with atheism.

And what are your true beliefs if you do not act according to the one's you espouse?

This is not correct. the greek word atheism means that one doesnt believe in a God, but it doesnt mean said person doesnt hold any values. That's existenzialism you mean.

I fight the christian religion where I can because I think it has caused more evil in the world than it did good. Alone recently when the pope went to Brazil to tell them condoms are bad, condeming the already overcrowded country to suffer even more because they believe in the guidance church can provide. I do not condemn all religions, but the christian one, I can safely condemn without any hesitation. It uses the same instruments like nationalism did in Germany to create a tribe mentality and it will always find followers in humanity. I can tolerate it as long as it doesnt have too much power. Those people who find guidance there, shall go there and do their things, as long as said, it doesnt get to much power. And I am convinced, with the ongoing years, the problem christian religion will solve itself

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is not correct. the greek word atheism means that one doesnt believe in a God, but it doesnt mean said person doesnt hold any values. That's existenzialism you mean.

For the record I agree with Beefeater here. It's not that an athiest can't have values, it's just that there is no way to attain values without a non-rational act of 'faith'. People's ideas of good and bad and worth are absorbed from upbringing and culture. Science is incapable of differentiating good from bad, it can just inform the values that we already possess.

It seems to me that values are culturally materialized as part of a tribal/self-defense process, and sometimes they are codefied as religion.

Beorn

Permabanned

Wrong.

I didn't say that atheists don't have values. I said they have no reason to have values and that they live lives that are in contradiction with the logical conclusions of their presuppositions.

I fight the christian religion where I can because I think it has caused more evil in the world than it did good. Alone recently when the pope went to Brazil to tell them condoms are bad, condeming the already overcrowded country to suffer even more because they believe in the guidance church can provide. I do not condemn all religions, but the christian one, I can safely condemn without any hesitation. It uses the same instruments like nationalism did in Germany to create a tribe mentality and it will always find followers in humanity. I can tolerate it as long as it doesnt have too much power. Those people who find guidance there, shall go there and do their things, as long as said, it doesnt get to much power. And I am convinced, with the ongoing years, the problem christian religion will solve itself

Why? What is the basis of good and evil if there is no God?

On what basis can you claim that someone else should adopt your values?

Both Brazil and the Vatican are cultures set apart from yours how can you judge them for their practices and what goes on there?