• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uhhhhh......

Didums

CC is right.

First, you don't exist, Then you exist, then you don't exist. Existence is merely an interference in not existing.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
So...

What exactly is nonexistence? What is a state of non-being?

T

ThatGirl

There are not destinations beyond or before death?

Maybe SPs are the smartest, live in the moment?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Oh - my question was one of honest sincerity.

Self-awareness is a curious leap in the shared biological animation we enjoy with other creatures.

I wonder what elevates an entity from stimulus->response to conscious adaptation...

Your brain dies, neurons stop firing, you are no more.

Sure. Inevitable cellular decay/external stimuli create death.

What catalyzes consciousness, so that we may begin our "journey"?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh - my question was one of honest sincerity.

Self-awareness is a curious leap in the shared biological animation we enjoy with other creatures.

I wonder what elevates an entity from stimulus->response to conscious adaptation...

. . . .

What catalyzes consciousness, so that we may begin our "journey"?

I think consciousness is an epiphenomenon, so consciousness dies with the breakdown of the body. Since you're so into biology, couldn't you explain (self-)consciousness as an adaptive mechanism?

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
CC is right.

First, you don't exist, Then you exist, then you don't exist. Existence is merely an interference in not existing.

No, the consciousness you have named "you" is simply one pattern of the same energy that will always exist. Nothing that you are will ever cease to be.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I think consciousness is an epiphenomenon, so consciousness dies with the breakdown of the body. Since you're so into biology, couldn't you explain (self-)consciousness as an adaptive mechanism?

Sure -

Fitness in any system is crucial to the success of species x over species y. Self-consciousness could be thought of as an extension of this mechanism.

Of course, we'd require suitable environment inspiration for such a complex orchestration to develop - even in its initial stage, repetitive stimulus is a prerequisite.

Take the eye. A humble cluster of light-sensitive cells eventually adapting into the complex, tiered organ we presently cornerstone our sensory windows 'round.

Adaptation requires proper biological paperwork for creativity to take root.

Even nature holds true to bureaucracy.

Didums

No, the consciousness you have named "you" is simply one pattern of the same energy that will always exist. Nothing that you are will ever cease to be.

Matter --> Organized information --> Matter. You don't exist --> You exist --> You don't exist.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sure -

Fitness in any system is crucial to the success of species x over species y. Self-consciousness could be thought of as an extension of this mechanism.

Of course, we'd require suitable environment inspiration for such a complex orchestration to develop - even in its initial stage, repetitive stimulus is a prerequisite.

Take the eye. A humble cluster of light-sensitive cells eventually adapting into the complex, tiered organ we presently cornerstone our sensory windows 'round.

Adaptation requires proper biological paperwork for creativity to take root.

Even nature holds true to bureaucracy.

Self-consciousness is probably the key to our ability to criticize our current modes of operation... it spurs ambition and allows for us to evolve individually at a far greater pace than non-human animals, which generally have to rely on generational change. Which is why we've got such excellent ecological valence... though then again cockroaches win there... and I doubt they're self-conscious in the way we are.

MBTI Type
ENTP

I'd amend this... "nothing that composes "you" will ever cease to be." But "you" and your "consciousness" will cease to be, since consciousness is an emergent property of the interactions of those energies, which lose that patterned set of interactions upon the death of the individual.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Self-consciousness is probably the key to our ability to criticize our current modes of operation... it spurs ambition and allows for us to evolve individually at a far greater pace than non-human animals, which generally have to rely on generational change. Which is why we've got such excellent ecological valence... though then again cockroaches win there... and I doubt they're self-conscious in the way we are.

I dig it.

Nicely said.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd amend this... "nothing that composes "you" will ever cease to be." But "you" and your "consciousness" will cease to be, since consciousness is an emergent property of the interactions of those energies, which lose that patterned set of interactions upon the death of the individual.
Preach it!!!!

Didums

"Animals that have passed the mirror test are all of the great apes (humans, bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, elephants, and European Magpies" - Wiki

We're not too alone.. Being able to recognize yourself is a good indicator of a high state of consciousness.

MBTI Type
ENTP
"Animals that have passed the mirror test are all of the great apes (humans, bonobos, chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas), bottlenose dolphins, killer whales, elephants, and European Magpies" - Wiki

We're not too alone.. Being able to recognize yourself is a good indicator of a high state of consciousness.

There's high and there's higher... the mirror test is only the beginning... as has been mentioned before, great apes, whales, elephants, etc. don't have the same ability to self-criticize.