• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Improvisation

Mole

Permabanned
I have put improvisation in this thread because I think it is a calling, and I can hear it calling to me.

In fact the way I write here is a form of improvisation. And I am thinking about joining an improvisation group in Canberra.

Improvisation is like a spiritual exercise. It takes us out of the mundane, the everyday, and catapults us into the unfamiliar. And afterwards we feel as clean and crisp as a new dollar bill.

What is fascinating is the moment of change from the mundane to the unfamiliar. It is usually accompanied by a brief fear, then something magical happens, the unfamiliar takes flight, we are not directing it but it is directing itself.

Improvisation can start very simply by saying yes to everything. We let go of our mundane selves, we lose our footing, we think we will stumble but find we are dancing, and we find magically we are dancing together.

After a while we are surprised and breathless and reach out for the mundane, the familiar, and return to everyday. We feel enlarged and invigorated but don't know quite why. We feel wistful as though we have lost something, and later, when we have recovered, we go looking for it again.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have always liked improv.

Used to have a class on it in school and it was my favorite.

Mole

Permabanned
Jouissance and L'Alternance

I have always liked improv.

Used to have a class on it in school and it was my favorite.

It's so nice that sometimes we wish we could have an improvised life. It's a bit like having a lovely holiday and we wish our whole life were a holiday. But just as we move between the holiday and the work-a-day, we find we move between the everyday and improvisation. We need to move between them in order to perceive them.

And startlingly, moving between them is a jouissance.

No wonder we like it so much, no wonder we want it all the time, but how odd we can't have jouissance without returning to the mundane. The French call it l'alternance.

L'Alternance can be found in The Art of Joyful Living: Discovering the Simple Key to Alternance by Jacques Peze, and Pierre Roche de Coppens.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's so nice that sometimes we wish we could have an improvised life. It's a bit like having a lovely holiday and we wish our whole life were a holiday. But just as we move between the holiday and the work-a-day, we find we move between the everyday and improvisation. We need to move between them in order to perceive them.

And startlingly, moving between them is a jouissance.

No wonder we like it so much, no wonder we want it all the time, but how odd we can't have jouissance without returning to the mundane. The French call it l'alternance.

L'Alternance can be found in The Art of Joyful Living: Discovering the Simple Key to Alternance by Peter Roche de Coppens, Jacques Peze, and Pierre Roche de Coppens.

What do you suppose the MBTI types of Coppens, Coppens and Peze are?

Mole

Permabanned
The Art of Joyful Living: Discovering the Simple Key to Allternance

What do you suppose the MBTI types of Coppens, Coppens and Peze are?

I understand now there are two authors, Jacques and Pierre, who are both French psychiatrists.

It is difficult for me to know the personality types of Jacques and Pierre without them doing a psychogical test, given by a qualified psychometician, and interpreted by a qualified psychometrician.

I suspect though that they are more interested in jouissance and alternance than personality types.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I understand now there are two authors, Jacques and Pierre, who are both French psychiatrists.

It is difficult for me to know the personality types of Jacques and Pierre without them doing a psychogical test, given by a qualified psychometician, and interpreted by a qualified psychometrician.

I suspect though that they are more interested in jouissance and alternance than personality types.

But what would you type them as? MBTI is important.

Jaguar

If the MBTI is so "important," then authors Peter Roche de Coppens, Jacques Peze, and Pierre Roche de Coppens can always take the self-reporting instrument (MBTI) on their own, choose a best-fit type, should there even be one.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
When I am psychotic, I step outside of my comfort zone. I do things I wouldn't otherwise do because I feel that these things have meaning. When the world is what you choose to believe it is, you can choose a picture which frees you, and freedom is exhilarating. But you can't just go on creating your own picture of how things are, can you? Improvising the very foundations of yourself, reality, and your place in reality. It's fun, sure, but it's fantasy.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I improvise a lot in KSP. Well actually I improvise a lot everywhere, but especially in KSP. My favorite is the "get out and push" maneuver. Like pushing your car when it is out of gas. Except you're pushing a space capsule when it is out of gas. In space.

Seriously it's hilarious when you're out of fuel and just need a TOUCH more delta-v retrograde to get aerobraking. What everyone eventually thinks of is getting out to push the craft with the EVA propulsion pack.

Don't mind me. Just ghost ridin my space capsule.

Mole

Permabanned
When I am psychotic, I step outside of my comfort zone. I do things I wouldn't otherwise do because I feel that these things have meaning. When the world is what you choose to believe it is, you can choose a picture which frees you, and freedom is exhilarating. But you can't just go on creating your own picture of how things are, can you? Improvising the very foundations of yourself, reality, and your place in reality. It's fun, sure, but it's fantasy.

The work of art is to turn imagination into reality.