• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

What Religion Do You Practice/Not Practice and Why?

• Total voters

Mole

Permabanned
just as lonestar cowgirl would prefer to serving under her true lord, the true god an you serving under your allah who answers to god.

Well, take your pick: serve the one God Allah, or serve the Trinity, a God with three heads. But why restrict our choices to two Gods, why not include a third choice in Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant? Or add a forth God, and like Shirley Maclaine, serve the God inside our own head.

The possibilities of serving are endless, and impossible to empirically choose between the possible Gods.

But really, tell the truth, would you be content to serve in Heaven or would you long to rule in Hell?

Lark

Well, take your pick: serve the one God Allah, or serve the Trinity, a God with three heads. But why restrict our choices to two Gods, why not include a third choice in Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant? Or add a forth God, and like Shirley Maclaine, serve the God inside our own head.

The possibilities of serving are endless, and impossible to empirically choose between the possible Gods.

But really, tell the truth, would you be content to serve in Heaven or would you long to rule in Hell?

Its impossible to rule in hell, what is the service you talk about in Heaven? What do you know about Heaven or Hell?

Lark

I know that we lost paradise, so read all about it in Paradise Lost by John Milton, 1667, by clicking on http://people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/ParadiseLostIn10Bks1667.pdf

Those also serve who stand and watch?

Yeah, I know the book, you know there's a sequel Milton wrote too called Paradise Regained?

I always preferred Dante's Divine Comedy, in particular his descent into the circles of hell with the angel, I've got a brilliant cheapy edition paper back illustrated by the woodcuts of Dore, there's a great bit were they are strolling along and this eejit comes out to meet them and he's holding his head in his hand because its been cut off, really, you got to see it to believe it.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyway, I consider myself pantheist, because I believe in Nature being a wise force that creates everything the most beautiful and useful way possible, but not like a god I have to pray to. I'm so in love with Nature, the world and space that everything looks perfect to me... except for humanity, but that's another story.

This is how I feel too. Nature is what I revere. I also believe in energy (something along the lines of Nikola Tesla). The universe (through the eyes of science) is absolutely astounding and that we are here at all is amazing. Looking at space is humbling and it is more beautiful than anything written in some ancient book with archaic beliefs. Organized religion has never made sense to me. I grew up Catholic but quickly deviated.

Christianity just turns me off -- I cannot fathom such a self-absorbed, hateful God. The "loving" God that a lot of Christians claim they know is not the God that is in their beloved bible. If they believe this, either they are being picky about what parts of the bible they see as truth or they have not read it at all. I also don't appreciate the litany of historic horrors that have happened as a result of religion. Also the hate, discrimination, the way some people use it as an excuse for their own dysfunctional beliefs/actions, they way it breeds ignorance and conformity.

Here in the states it influences levels of government (led by right-wing republicans) and even changes in healthcare (birth control, abortion) as well as education. No. Just no. That is when it really aggravates me. And frankly, it has no place whatsoever in forward-thinking societies.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
R
Oh wouldnt you know that Mr. Happy has something nice to add to things, keep on improving buddy, we all miss you and look for your posts when you're not around.

Or maybe not.

Oh larky, what personal knowledge do you have of heaven or hell?

Don't tell me. I'm sick of your arrogance, and run on sentences. Please take a basic course in English composition.

Lark

Answer the question...

Dude, I'm looking at this forum, I'm looking for posts you've made, threads or responses to topics, and all I'm seeing is nasty, insulting or snide remarks directed at myself, for a while now, and I'm going to say that I'm done with it and dont want to hear from you anymore. I hope that you're able to accept this and move on.

Although I'll know in a minute when you try to carry on what you seem to imagine is some sort of an intellectual sparring match but which is anything but. I dont really recall what its been that made you desperate for my attention in particular and sparked all this off, which means its not been anything important to me but is obviously important enough to you and maybe you're still smarting from something or maybe this is just how you are. In any case, I wish you good luck second time around if you want to participate on forums and make friends or engage in discussions because this time you failed. Failed hard.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I for one prefer to go my own way, being neither master nor servant.

As for gods, the possibilities are indeed endless, which makes sense given that most religions claim God is infinite, ubiquitous, without limit. I see this deific infinity as a single entity with a multiplicity (infinity) of representations. When it comes right down to it, all believers worship the same god, simply in different ways.

Duffy

I have never felt comfortable labeling myself because it always seemed so... definitive. My parents are Buddhists, so growing up that's what I went with when the topic came up. They weren't strict about enforcing it like I know how some people are. In fact, if I were to declare devotion to Christianity, it wouldn't have mattered to them. As an adult, I suppose I'm what you call atheist, but I still find a lot of Buddhist concepts to be useful and attractive.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a Catholic.

I believe in God the Father, the creator of all that is; invisible, visible, material, immaterial. I believe that Jesus was both human and divine, the co-eternal Son of God, that was sent to make us a path to the eternal afterlife when our imperfect forms are done. God the Holy Spirit is with us, to help guide us through this life and to keep us spiritual company. The mystery of the trinity, how there is but one eternal God, but there are three beings within the One essence of God, yet each one fully God, is fascinating to me.

Of course, I have no proof for any of my beliefs. I belief that science is grounded in the physical and natural world, while God and Heaven are within the metaphysical and supernatural realm, and while there is a constant connection between them, physical, natural science cannot capture it.

Like I said, I have no proof. Only faith. And I'm fine with that. :)

(And yeah, you read correctly; I'm an ENTP that isn't an atheist. If that isn't enough proof of a God, I dunno what is xD)

Mole

Permabanned
I'm a Catholic.

I believe in God the Father, the creator of all that is; invisible, visible, material, immaterial. I believe that Jesus was both human and divine, the co-eternal Son of God, that was sent to make us a path to the eternal afterlife when our imperfect forms are done. God the Holy Spirit is with us, to help guide us through this life and to keep us spiritual company. The mystery of the trinity, how there is but one eternal God, but there are three beings within the One essence of God, yet each one fully God, is fascinating to me.

Of course, I have no proof for any of my beliefs. I belief that science is grounded in the physical and natural world, while God and Heaven are within the metaphysical and supernatural realm, and while there is a constant connection between them, physical, natural science cannot capture it.

Like I said, I have no proof. Only faith. And I'm fine with that. :)

(And yeah, you read correctly; I'm an ENTP that isn't an atheist. If that isn't enough proof of a God, I dunno what is xD)

The official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church is Faith and Reason. So let us reason about Faith.

As you say, God is the creator of all there is, and God is the Trinity, so the Trinity is the creator of all there is, and so God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

Just recently we have measured the background radiation of Big Bang across the whole sky, not once but twice, with stunning accuracy, and we have analysed the results, evaluated the results, and integrated the results into known facts.

And guess what! There is no signature, no fingerprint, and no message in the Big Bang from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

So on the balance of probabilities, it is preposterous that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church is Faith and Reason. So let us reason about Faith.

As you say, God is the creator of all there is, and God is the Trinity, so the Trinity is the creator of all there is, and so God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

Just recently we have measured the background radiation of Big Bang across the whole sky, not once but twice, with stunning accuracy, and we have analysed the results, evaluated the results, and integrated the results into known facts.

And guess what! There is no signature, no fingerprint, and no message in the Big Bang from God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

So on the balance of probabilities, it is preposterous that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, created the Big Bang.

Oh, I agree with you, that there is no scientific proof that God had anything to do with the Big Bang (or that God even exists).

Like I said, I believe that God cannot be measured by science. So while you can study something God made/did (this and other universes, the Big Bang, ect.) you will not be able to measure God in these things through scientific means.

Also, interesting tid bit I found out recently: The guy that first thought of the Big Bang explanation was a Catholic priest.

I personally believe that science and faith in God go together just fine. That's just me though.