• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Privatize education

Which support system for your post privatised school?

• Charity

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Corporate

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Religious

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Possibly the greatest tool on control and force of stagnation present in today's society is the public education system and the state control over curriculum.

If education were to be privatized would you prefer to enroll your child in a school supported by charity, a corporation or a religious group?

This is of course assuming you lack the resources to have your child attend a purely tuition supported school.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I voted for corporate, though I now feel like I should have voted for charity. Regardless, it all depends on the mission statements and infrastructures of the corporations/charities involved. But I am totally against having more than a minority of schools run by religious institutions. There's absolutely no need to go there. For those who desire it, they can pay for it or go to places like St. Regis in Manhattan (completely free world-class education under Jesuits)... but if poor children generally had to have recourse only to religious institutions for quality education, it seems to me their world-views would be ever so slightly warped, since other religions rarely get good or thorough coverage in Christian or other religion-based schools. I am particularly chary of religious-based schools in the U.S. due to the rise of the unbelievably atavistic Creationist 'theory' (I'd call it dogma).

Frankly, even secular-liberal private schools in the U.S. tend to focus entirely on Judeo-Christian histories to the detriment of exploring other cultures... they'll spend years on the former and a month (of poorly taught classes) on the latter.

So charity or corporation, fine. Religious? Please, GOD, no.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
What sort of corporate school would you send your kid to?

The problem with sending your kid to a corporate school is that if he doesn't really bust his ass or show serious gumption then he's probably going to end up being tailored for a menial job once he hits high school.

Charity schools would suffer much the same problem as public schools do now, low resources and high demand.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I love the public education system. I don't see how my curriculum differs from that of private universities...

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I love the public education system. I don't see how my curriculum differs from that of private universities...

Universities are less poisonous than elementary and especially high schools.

And I'm pretty sure that even private universities have to answer to the ministry of education (or whatever it's called in the US).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So what would these corporate schools be like? They wouldn't just be giving the money away. What, would it be ad supported? Ads in the text books? The corporations wouldn't want us to learn things like science and history. It would be Factory Working 101 or Introduction to TPS Reports. I can see them maybe funding some kind of employee training program.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
So what would these corporate schools be like? They wouldn't just be giving the money away. What, would it be ad supported? Ads in the text books? The corporations wouldn't want us to learn things like science and history. It would be Factory Working 101 or Introduction to TPS Reports. I can see them maybe funding some kind of employee training program.

It would be employee training from day 1.

However they would need to give young kids some level of varied education in order to determine their strengths and assign them to more specialized programs as they grew.

It would be the parent's responsibility to keep their kids balanced and no the state's.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

However they would need to give young kids some level of varied education in order to determine their strengths and assign them to more specialized programs as they grew.

It would be the parent's responsibility to keep their kids balanced and no the state's.
:unsure:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah I can't say I'm wild about that idea.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah I can't say I'm wild about that idea.

I'm not wild about the idea of the majority who is easily swayed by politicians determining what my children are learning for years of their lives.

EDIT: Also, if you don't like the idea of corporate schools then send them to a charity school.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not wild about the idea of the majority who is easily swayed by politicians determining what my children are learning for years of their lives.

What children are mostly learning is math, science, english, history...what's wrong with this?

If parents really wanted the responsibility of educating their kids everyone would be home schooling.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I home schooled.
How am I suppose to answer this if I wanted the same thing for my children?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I don't get this. Maybe I'm missing something. Where's the "Pay to send your kid to private school" option. Oh, would that be corporate? Yeah, that.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't get this. Maybe I'm missing something. Where's the "Pay to send your kid to private school" option. Oh, would that be corporate? Yeah, that.

If you read my first post you'll see that I said "assume you don't have the resources to send your kid to a tuition supported school"

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
What children are mostly learning is math, science, english, history...what's wrong with this?

If parents really wanted the responsibility of educating their kids everyone would be home schooling.

Kids don't get socialized if they are home schooled, also it's a big burden on the parents.

I home schooled.
How am I suppose to answer this if I wanted the same thing for my children?

My bad, can I edit polls?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Kids don't get socialized if they are home schooled, also it's a big burden on the parents.

Without public funding the burden remains on the parents, corporate and charity schools don't exist and probably never could on a large scale.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Without public funding the burden remains on the parents, corporate and charity schools don't exist and probably never could on a large scale.

Why not?

Without the burden of taxation the population would have much more free capitol to invest in charities they feel ideological connections to.

Corporations certainly have enough money, especially since it would guarantee them a well trained workforce.