• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Privatize education

Which support system for your post privatised school?

• Charity

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Corporate

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Religious

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I don't know/I love government control of education

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
In a nutshell, the problem with privatizing education is that idiots like GW are able to go to Havard while some poor genius has to work at Mcdonalds because he or she lacks the resources. It's horribly stupid.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, I’m not religious and do not believe beliefs should be enforced on others but I would actually vote that way. I attended a religious private school when I was a young tacker and as long as it is not extreme or goes against my beliefs I would have no problem sending my kids to one as well. My beliefs were never challenged, I was never forced to participate in anything I was uncomfortable with and the fact that there was a chapel on the premises was the only thing that indicated it was religious.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Why not?

Without the burden of taxation the population would have much more free capitol to invest in charities they feel ideological connections to.

Hm... in my experience it doesn't work like that. Without taxation the "capitol" of the poor still drains away and now they also have to pay for basic things they previously got from the state (which they probably won't be able to).

Whereas in countries with high taxation people still seem to have free capital to invest in charities (or themselves) because they get free health care, legal help, paid pregnancy leave, unemployment money, education and so on.

(The US is not considered a country with high taxation, and even if it were, it's an exception, since the tax money is squandered or redistributed to the rich, not given back to those who need it the most.)

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
In a nutshell, the problem with privatizing education is that idiots like GW are able to go to Havard while some poor genius has to work at Mcdonalds because he or she lacks the resources. It's horribly stupid.

Poor geniuses are desired by corporations and all academic institutions.

Their schooling will be subsidized.

Kanamori

Murkow said:
And I'm pretty sure that even private universities have to answer to the ministry of education (or whatever it's called in the US).

In the US, school districts have enormous control over curriculum, and only have to meet some requirements from the state's general requirements and those of nochildleftbehind. The specificity of the state's requirements are all probably limited by the state's constitution (I don't know about any state, it's a guess)... it's hugely left to local governments.

Under the options, even though I'm not religious at all, I would prefer to send my children to a religious school.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Religious or if I couldn't find a religious school I was comfortable with, Charity.

Edit: And homeschooling does not mean unsocialized. I absolutely believe parents should have the right to educate their children at home and would support their receiving funds for materials and compensation for the educating parent, as long as they had some level of accountability.

MBTI Type
ENTP
when i read corporate I read private institutions or businesses whose business it is to run schools... if by corporations you mean McDonald's or Murdoch's company could run schools, then I request a change of vote to "secular charity".

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
when i read corporate I read private institutions or businesses whose business it is to run schools... if by corporations you mean McDonald's or Murdoch's company could run schools, then I request a change of vote to "secular charity".

It's assumed that you'd be sending them to a corporation's school who you respect.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Education should be privatised, but that would not normally mean what murkrow has said. If every school in the US was run as a charity then the US would have a privatised education system. If every school in the US was a religious school, funded by tuition fees and/or charitable donation from a church, then the US would have a privatised education system. If every school was run as a business, funded by tuition fees and nonreligious charity and intended to make a proft, then the US would have a privatised education system.

In reality, privatised education systems contain a mixture of business, charity and religious schooling (edit: and homeschooling).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm... in my experience it doesn't work like that. Without taxation the "capitol" of the poor still drains away and now they also have to pay for basic things they previously got from the state (which they probably won't be able to).

Whereas in countries with high taxation people still seem to have free capital to invest in charities (or themselves) because they get free health care, legal help, paid pregnancy leave, unemployment money, education and so on.

(The US is not considered a country with high taxation, and even if it were, it's an exception, since the tax money is squandered or redistributed to the rich, not given back to those who need it the most.)

I'd love to see you take that up with Pure Mercury.

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's assumed that you'd be sending them to a corporation's school who you respect.

Well... I guess, then... what I'd really be for would be charter schools... schools which get some public funding but are also funded and, more importantly, administered by organizations of concerned citizens, or major universities, or charities or otherwise. They have far greater leeway than regular public schools in how they run things, but still have to adhere to certain standards as laid out by the government.

In a sense, charter schools represent exactly what I feel would be best... so, for instance, in New York City, one of the most excellent schools in the city is Hunter, which is a charter school run by Hunter college. Kids have to qualify to get in, but they get an excellent education (scores of their kids go to Ivies and other top and second tier colleges afterwards) without the unnecessary burden of a religious institution overseeing their curriculum.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Religious or if I couldn't find a religious school I was comfortable with, Charity.

Edit: And homeschooling does not mean unsocialized. I absolutely believe parents should have the right to educate their children at home and would support their receiving funds for materials and compensation for the educating parent, as long as they had some level of accountability.

I fully agree with you. I believe in home schooling despite being a public school teacher (I've also taught in private school and during the summer I always work at a private school)

As long as a parent has accountability then I'm all for it. It can be a wonderful experience. I don't think that homeschooled children are unsocialized. In fact they probably (depending on their parents involvement) have better socialization. If a home schooled child is being shown that the world is more than their school/neighborhood/town/state/country and their parents are taking them out into the world to learn more about what their education is preparing them for and why it's important. Well that's more than I can do (having to fill out papers in triplicate to take my class on field trips or use a particular book (I'm not talking about the bible...which I would def use if I home schooled my children) I'd rather have a child socialize with the woman looking at a particular piece of art in a museum, than have him talking about the latest video game with "Bobby" during math...(they are going to do that anyway) I'd rather have my child hear a lecture by some famous author who's speaking at the city library, than watch a movie because the teacher needs to catch up on his/her paperwork (I NEVER do that btw..which is why I'm always behind on my paperwork) Anyway I didn't vote for any of those options because I suppose Im for a modified version of public education.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I fully agree with you. I believe in home schooling despite being a public school teacher (I've also taught in private school and during the summer I always work at a private school)

As long as a parent has accountability then I'm all for it. It can be a wonderful experience. I don't think that homeschooled children are unsocialized. In fact they probably (depending on their parents involvement) have better socialization. If a home schooled child is being shown that the world is more than their school/neighborhood/town/state/country and their parents are taking them out into the world to learn more about what their education is preparing them for and why it's important. Well that's more than I can do (having to fill out papers in triplicate to take my class on field trips or use a particular book (I'm not talking about the bible...which I would def use if I home schooled my children) I'd rather have a child socialize with the woman looking at a particular piece of art in a museum, than have him talking about the latest video game with "Bobby" during math...(they are going to do that anyway) I'd rather have my child hear a lecture by some famous author who's speaking at the city library, than watch a movie because the teacher needs to catch up on his/her paperwork (I NEVER do that btw..which is why I'm always behind on my paperwork) Anyway I didn't vote for any of those options because I suppose Im for a modified version of public education.

As long as at the end of all the museum trips and lectures, the kid has a chance to go out and scrape his knees skateboarding or playing tag with his friends, or hanging out in garages or basements playing music... has a chance to interact with kids his own age, homeschooling can be incredible...

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
As long as at the end of all the museum trips and lectures, the kid has a chance to go out and scrape his knees skateboarding or playing tag with his friends, or hanging out in garages or basements playing music... has a chance to interact with kids his own age, homeschooling can be incredible...

absolutely that is all apart of socialization, learning fair play and just good old fashion fun!

I'll even let my kid risk his/her neck snowboarding as I own three and could not imagine chosing a museum over a good time on some snow covered mountain...well...yeah nope boarding would win every time (which is why it's a must I take them to a museum :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I voted public school, because I think it'd be the dumbest decision ever to remove public school. So many things in our country operate with the assumption of a near universal literacy rate. There are simple things like street signs that we take for granted, because almost everyone is literate. Without public education the bottom 20-30% of the population would basically get no education. Also they've looked at the US exports, and they've noticed that most common element in them is that they require a fairly high level of education. As technology increases we'll need more education, and not less. The removal of public education would seriously hurt our economic growth.

Anyway...if it were removed I'd homeschool....

O

Oberon

Frankly, even secular-liberal private schools in the U.S. tend to focus entirely on Judeo-Christian histories to the detriment of exploring other cultures... they'll spend years on the former and a month (of poorly taught classes) on the latter.

Considering the political climate in which schools are operated these days, it's a freaking miracle if they get past basic grammar and the multiplication tables. A serious survey of history and culture might as well be on the far side of the moon.

Even in a private school setting, I think it's appropriate to leave cross-cultural studies to the secondary stage or later. Kids ought to get a rudimentary understanding of their own culture first before taking on a different one.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Without public funding the burden remains on the parents, corporate and charity schools don't exist and probably never could on a large scale.

Do you have a basis for this assertion? I happen to think that there would be a lot of them, considering the huge demand for them in the new education market.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Possibly the greatest tool on control and force of stagnation present in today's society is the public education system and the state control over curriculum.

If education were to be privatized would you prefer to enroll your child in a school supported by charity, a corporation or a religious group?

This is of course assuming you lack the resources to have your child attend a purely tuition supported school.

i don't see a lot of difference between charity/corporate/religious support. they are all special interest groups with agendas.