• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Jesus, Horus And Many Other Gods Had In Common

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Would be interesting to hear from christians what they think about the similarities between jesus and other historical figures

Nicodemus

Prefigurations, premonitions, anticipations of what has always only and truly been Christ, obviously.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Different symbols representing the same thing..

A mediator between the divine and man.. Existing in God, and emanating from him..

Like your own inner thoughts and their outward expression (spoken word).. that's all.

Our connection to god.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Different symbols representing the same thing..

A mediator between the divine and man.. Existing in God, and emanating from him..

Like your own inner thoughts and their outward expression (spoken word).. that's all.

Our connection to god.

My point is that if they represent the same thing, why would someone with this knowledge call themselves a christian? I mean christianity rejects "false gods" like horus of krishna and says that christ is the only son of god, but if they are the same thing as christ, it makes no sense.. To be a christian means rejecting other symbolic representations of the sun(/christ), like horus. But if a christian acknowledges what is said on the video and puts these other symbols on the same level with christ, the person isnt really a christian, but has broader theistic view than just christianity. Also if some christian would see christ as nothing more than a representation of the sun, the whole religion would lose its meaning today.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My point is that if they represent the same thing, why would someone with this knowledge call themselves a christian? I mean christianity rejects "false gods" like horus of krishna and says that christ is the only son of god, but if they are the same thing as christ, it makes no sense.. To be a christian means rejecting other symbolic representations of the sun(/christ), like horus. But if a christian acknowledges what is said on the video and puts these other symbols on the same level with christ, the person isnt really a christian, but has broader theistic view than just christianity. Also if some christian would see christ as nothing more than a representation of the sun, the whole religion would lose its meaning today.

But our relationship to the sun is symbolic in itself. The sun is a veil as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think our relationship with the sun is very concrete, not symbolic at all.

The sun is necessary (biologically) for life and our daily rhythms are tied to it. So that is a very concrete relationship.... but it also leads to a lot of symbolism to deify it due to its importance to us and fascination with it.

Sun = warmth = light = illumination = life
No sun = darkness = coldness = death

As a side note, is Horus a "historical figure"?
He's just a deity within a particular historical cultural/religious faith.
(Did the egyptians view him as divine myth or as a specific historical figure that lived within a defined time period?)

Beorn

Permabanned
I stopped watching when I realized this was mostly bullshit.
Post something from a reputable Egyptologist and I might pay attention.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I stopped watching when I realized this was mostly bullshit.
Post something from a reputable Egyptologist and I might pay attention.

Horus wasnt the main thing there, so an egyptologist wouldnt have all the info you apparently need. However instead of just calling it bullshit, you could perhaps show some evidence of this bullshitting? Shouldnt be too hard if you already have the correct information

Mole

Permabanned
Jesus the Jewish Messiah had little in common with the Egyptian Horus, but Jesus the Christ, a Roman God, is derived from the Egyptian Horus.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Most of those "similarities" are utter bullshit, and were never written about Horus, as far as I know. Given the amount of bullshit I'm hesitant to take anything in that seriously.

Besides, Jesus wasn't born on December 25th anyway o_O

Passacaglia

Horus wasnt the main thing there, so an egyptologist wouldnt have all the info you apparently need. However instead of just calling it bullshit, you could perhaps show some evidence of this bullshitting? Shouldnt be too hard if you already have the correct information
Some of the things in the video seem pretty suspect. Like at 7:00, when the narrator creates a chain of logic between the Latin character for Virgo, and several virgin mothers from different world cultures whose name begins with the M sound. I could see an argument for 'the M sound is inherently motherly and virgin-y, as demonstrated by these far-flung virgin mothers,' but the video's logic involves a Latin letter that kinda looks like an M and characters from completely different cultures whose names are spelled with completely different characters in their native scripts. That's tenuous logic at best.

Also, I'm skeptical that December 25th specifically is the birthday of a whole host of Jesus-like characters. I have heard that many religious characters have birthdays in late December, and that the 25th was chosen as Jesus' birthday after the fact to make religious conversion more smooth for...I forget, some older religion.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have my skepticism proven groundless. And there are certainly striking similarities between not only Horus and Jesus, but various other religious characters and Jesus too. Siddartha Gautama was immaculately conceived, performed all kinds of miracles, and was eventually killed indirectly by a follower. (He wasn't betrayed, but he ate a food offering that he knew would kill him.) The Buddha was also, like Jesus, originally just a very wise man who was later elevated to godhood. Odin tied himself to Yggdrasil, the World Tree, died, and was then resurrected with new-found wisdom. (I believe he was also pierced by a spear too, but my memory is sketchy on that.) All this stuff does create potential dissonance for Christians, but I don't think it's as stark as this video makes things out to be.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Christ is every person in the world, and every object too. Hey cappa, we're only stardust.

Mole

Permabanned

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we become what we worship, if we worship Jesus the Christ, we become Christ-like.

We can start to become Christ-like by reading, The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas a Kempis, written at the beginning of the 15th century, click on http://www.siestakeybeachmeeting.com/index_htm_files/Imitation of Christ -Modern translation.pdf

This looks really neat, Mole, and not what I expected. Again.. thank you for sharing.

I'm still climbing the steps up to the Cloud of Unknowing.

:)

Mole

Permabanned
This looks really neat, Mole, and not what I expected. Again.. thank you for sharing.

I'm still climbing the steps up to the Cloud of Unknowing.

:)

It seems to me you are attracted to the mystical and, The Cloud of Unknowing, is a very early mystical text.

And as you know the mystical is immanent all around us, which can be a little overwhelming, so it is reassuring to know that we have been exploring the mystical across the centuries in most religions.

I am also attracted to the mystical and my favourite mystic is Simone Weil (pronounced Vey), the first woman graduate of the Sorbonne.

Happy Christmas.

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK where to begin? Anyone who knows even the slightest bit of history and mythology could debunk this in less than five minutes.

1. Horus was not born of a virgin. Isis, his mother (no reference to her being called Meri either), put back the pieces of her deceased husband but couldn't find his manhood. She fashioned a gold phallus on him and had coitus.

2. Jesus was not born on Dec. 25th. In fact it was the Catholics who took a pagan holiday and turned it into a day to celebrate Christ's birth. Besides, the shepherds were out in the fields at the time of His birth meaning that they wouldn't be out in December it would be too cold for the flocks (the average low in Jerusalem for Dec. is about 43F so the surrounding areas would have similar climate).

3. Even Christians get this wrong but there were not 3 kings or wise men. There were 3 gifts but we are never told how many wise men showed up (and even then they didn't show up until He was 2 yrs old).

4. Horus was not baptized. In fact "Anup" was most likely a reference to Anubis and he was an embalmer... far cry from a baptizer.

5. There's no proof he had 12 disciples. There's some stories that say he had 4 sons (Jesus had no children) but that's nowhere near 12.

Shall I go on?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
OK where to begin? Anyone who knows even the slightest bit of history and mythology could debunk this in less than five minutes.

1. Horus was not born of a virgin. Isis, his mother (no reference to her being called Meri either), put back the pieces of her deceased husband but couldn't find his manhood. She fashioned a gold phallus on him and had coitus.

2. Jesus was not born on Dec. 25th. In fact it was the Catholics who took a pagan holiday and turned it into a day to celebrate Christ's birth. Besides, the shepherds were out in the fields at the time of His birth meaning that they wouldn't be out in December it would be too cold for the flocks (the average low in Jerusalem for Dec. is about 43F so the surrounding areas would have similar climate).

3. Even Christians get this wrong but there were not 3 kings or wise men. There were 3 gifts but we are never told how many wise men showed up (and even then they didn't show up until He was 2 yrs old).

4. Horus was not baptized. In fact "Anup" was most likely a reference to Anubis and he was an embalmer... far cry from a baptizer.

5. There's no proof he had 12 disciples. There's some stories that say he had 4 sons (Jesus had no children) but that's nowhere near 12.

Shall I go on?

Is it important what could be historically accurate here? The mythology of Jesus as we know it today is directly taken from the story of horus, there's nothing to debunk here.

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it important what could be historically accurate here? The mythology of Jesus as we know it today is directly taken from the story of horus, there's nothing to debunk here.

OK, explain to me how a woman who has sex (Isis in this case) is considered a virgin?

The two stories (regardless of what you believe) have hardly anything in common if you go back to the sources. The Bible mentions nothing of Dec. 25th being Christ's birthday and even Egyptian mythology most likely places Horus' birthday somewhere in August.

Just those two differences alone should be enough to say the whole Jesus is Horus argument is false.