• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Jesus, Horus And Many Other Gods Had In Common

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
OK, explain to me how a woman who has sex (Isis in this case) is considered a virgin?

Was horus born because of this? Otherwise it would be masturbation if her husband hasn't been resurrected before.

The Bible mentions nothing of Dec. 25th being Christ's birthday

But we still celebrate it because of the Catholics. That counts.

even Egyptian mythology most likely places Horus' birthday somewhere in August.

Then there's no reason for debate here or even the mentioning of a possible similarity. If you can give me a reputable source I'll believe you.

Nicodemus

1. Horus was not born of a virgin.
Neither was Jesus, actually. In the 'original' version, Maria, in accordance with the Jewish legends of the messiah, is characterized as a 'young woman'. It is a translation error and subsequently became tradition to imagine her as a virgin. Much like the wise men from the orient became three kings, a young woman became a virgin because people preferred it that way.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I understand it, Christianity/Catholics through the ages, absorbed other religions, to make it "easier" to adopt the religion. Christian practises of today is the result of many religions absorbed. There I said it.

Beorn

Permabanned
Neither was Jesus, actually. In the 'original' version, Maria, in accordance with the Jewish legends of the messiah, is characterized as a 'young woman'. It is a translation error and subsequently became tradition to imagine her as a virgin. Much like the wise men from the orient became three kings, a young woman became a virgin because people preferred it that way.

Lol. What the text says has no bearing on whether or not you think Christ was born of a virgin let alone whether he was born at all.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. The latest edition of one of the mainline (US at least) Bible translations corrects this, and was one of the most controversial changes in that edition. Yes, early Christians wanted to co-opt for Jesus the mythos of earlier deities which included elements like virgin birth, descent into the underworld, and "resurrection"/return to the living. It wasn't enough to promote Jesus based on the example of his lifetime.

Lol. What the text says has no bearing on whether or not you think Christ was born of a virgin let alone whether he was born at all.
By "you" do you mean Nicodemus specifically, or the generalized reader of the Bible? Some Christians are extremely literal in their interpretation, which can be amusing when they don't understand the limits or implications of the translation process.

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was horus born because of this? Otherwise it would be masturbation if her husband hasn't been resurrected before.

But we still celebrate it because of the Catholics. That counts.

Then there's no reason for debate here or even the mentioning of a possible similarity. If you can give me a reputable source I'll believe you.

1. Yes she resurrected her husband
2. The Catholic church didn't start until about 300 AD. Besides we're debating the origin story of both characters and in the original story Christ's birth day is not mentioned anywhere.
3. Five Days Out of Time

Zeitgeist, the movie Debunked - Part One - Zeitgeist Exposed - Skeptic Project

ScareBear

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's a whole other topic of discussion. Right now though it's about debunking the whole Jesus' story came from Horus because neither stories, regardless of one's beliefs, are anything remotely similar. If one would do a little research and actually read the original Horus myth they would quickly learn this whole Zeitgeist rubbish is just that, rubbish.

Lark

I stopped watching when I realized this was mostly bullshit.
Post something from a reputable Egyptologist and I might pay attention.

Yeah, its derivative from theosophy, which is popular with a lot of the neo-anti-semitic illumati conspiracy theorists online, David Icke is really into it.

As a life long Christian I'm about as concerned or interested in this sort of thing as scientologists or chariots of the gods or any similar idea.

Those things have great currency with the publishers of bargain books style pulp non-fiction or second hand dealers in ideas like Icke but why they'd be the material of ephipanies or crisis of faith in any one is sort of beyond me.

Lark

As I understand it, Christianity/Catholics through the ages, absorbed other religions, to make it "easier" to adopt the religion. Christian practises of today is the result of many religions absorbed. There I said it.

There's no progressive revelation or theological or religious amalgamation in Christianity, definitely not in Roman Catholicism, what you're probably talking about is how being a universal creed in different cultural contexts the faith was able to approximate something akin to multiculturalism, its not the same thing as you are suggesting however.

I read a lot of this sort of thing, its usually accompanied with a sort of excited idea that it validates atheism or at the very least invalidates Christianity or Catholcism or whatever, I read one of Dawkin's books once and it was a lot like that, there are literally, generations of scholarism which stacks up favourably against things like this, which once you've done the reading looks like exactly what it is, the confirmation bias of people who dont do much research anyway.

Mole

Permabanned

I don't want you to think for a moment that I am big noting myself, but the simple fact, the simple fact of my life, is that I wasn't born. Yes, I have never been born. I am in fact a Caesar. Mole is a Caesarian. No wonder the Weasels, Stoats, and Ferrets, approach me with sharp eyes and sharp knives. Et tu, I whisper, as I am betrayed on the steps of the Senate.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's no progressive revelation or theological or religious amalgamation in Christianity, definitely not in Roman Catholicism, what you're probably talking about is how being a universal creed in different cultural contexts the faith was able to approximate something akin to multiculturalism, its not the same thing as you are suggesting however.

I read a lot of this sort of thing, its usually accompanied with a sort of excited idea that it validates atheism or at the very least invalidates Christianity or Catholcism or whatever, I read one of Dawkin's books once and it was a lot like that, there are literally, generations of scholarism which stacks up favourably against things like this, which once you've done the reading looks like exactly what it is, the confirmation bias of people who dont do much research anyway.

True, I haven't done much research.

As the Romans conquered other regions, those regions' administration language became that of the Romans. I only imagined that to successfully absorb them, as part of the process of administration language, the culture/religion would also be absorbed. There is nothing I can point to that will prove it, however I would think that would assist in why there are so many factions of Christianity and end up breaking away to form their own version of it.

I am in no way trying to disprove Christianity.

So yes, I am agreeing with you and I am probably repeating what you said. Oh well.