• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Contexts and Metadata

Mole

Permabanned
Most of us come here because we want a shared context. On the othe hand I came here because I was invited by Geoff, knowing nothing of the context of Typology Central which is mbti.

Most of us come here because we are illiterate in the language of contexts. So naturally we feel uncomfortable if we start talking in contexts. We feel affronted.

When someone speaks in contexts we say they are trolling. We feel it is a deliberate attack on our cherished beliefs. And of course 3,000 years ago the good people of Athens felt Socrates was deliberately attacking their cherished beliefs. So they gave Socrates a choice, shutup or die.

We can also call contexts, metadata. And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. And foreigners make up 96% of the world.

So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Most of us come here because we want a shared context. On the othe hand I came here because I was invited by Geoff, knowing nothing of the context of Typology Central which is mbti.

Most of us come here because we are illiterate in the language of contexts. So naturally we feel uncomfortable if we start talking in contexts. We feel affronted.

When someone speaks in contexts we say they are trolling. We feel it is a deliberate attack on our cherished beliefs. And of course 3,000 years ago the good people of Athens felt Socrates was deliberately attacking their cherished beliefs. So they gave Socrates a choice, shutup or die.

We can also call contexts, metadata. And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. And foreigners make up 96% of the world.

So naturally the USA does not want foreigners to learn the language of contexts and metadata. Anymore than Typology Central wants us to learn the language of contexts.

Your martyr complex is rearing its ugly head again, Molio.

ETA: I say that with love, of course.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mole

Permabanned
Who's Geoff?

Before we make any decision the first thing to do is to find someone to blame. So we can blame Geoff. And don't worry he is unlikely to strike back as he is probably out and about in nature in hiking boots and an anorak taking quite delicious pictures.

But yes, Geoff invited me here and said Central is a tolerant and well run place. And it is.

I mean people get married to have someone to blame, but I came here with someone ready made to blame.

Who can blame me?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Sure. But you know now, right? So you must like the context here, or at least not be overly affronted by it.

That's a broad generalization. If you mean not having a common terminology, then I disagree. If you mean being uncertain about systematizing people and social settings, then probably. But why would we be uncomfortable speaking about it if that's why we came here?

out of context is trolling, right? Or in the other post did you mean that if someone speaks in other contexts than MBTI that they were received badly, and thus in this paragraph that they are trolling? Not getting it for sure.

The bit on Socrates is true.

Metadata is just the time and number or email address of someone you contacted. I fail to see the connection with typology.

Not seeing it.

My computer shuts down for the night in five minutes, so if I don't reply if you deign to reply, that's why.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And the USA collects and saves metadata on all foreigners in the world. And hey, that's me. [...]

I don't want to be disrespectful, but you have voiced an opinion here about what the States thinks without having seen and perhaps without really having understood the world through American eyes. The US has historically been a bit pig-headed and isolationist, but it is less xenophobic than a number of other countries. Having experienced growing up and living here, you might be more inclined to understand why saying "the USA does not want ____" doesn't really make much sense, because the USA is such a large and diverse place - many may agree, but many may not. Even the government itself is unlikely to have a unanimous consensus. Part of our history and culture is being fragmented and individualistic, for better and worse.

Much the same, you are saying Typology Central as if it is comprised of a single entity. Yet it too is a melting pot of individuals with a wide array of opinions, with members constantly coming and going. The site is a "living" entity in constant flux. I do not think it is really fair to say that Typology Central does not want us to learn the language of contexts - for one, who is Typology Central? For two, who at Typology Central have you asked this question of?

Fortunately, we are all born into layer upon layer of context. We are born into contexts based on gender, on culture, on family structure, on language, on genetics, on environment, on SES, on interests, on skills. Even if whatever entity Typology Central is decided to try to take away contextual understanding from individuals, it would not be possible, because it is so ingrained into us. There is only connecting and understanding and the beauty of fusing and melding and analyzing and contrasting contexts.

So we come here from many contexts seeking many different things. We do not have to like one another's views on our contexts and we are welcome to voice dissent about any context. But everyone has to respect each others' ability to communicate without being repeatedly drawn away. If we are constantly drawn back into one context, we will never be able to learn the full language of contexts, will we? One person's reliance on a context does not mean that anyone else is trapped by it. Perhaps it is not one that is appealing to you. But we must all be free to try things out and see what works for us.

Mole

Permabanned
I don't want to be disrespectful, but you have voiced an opinion here about what the States thinks without having seen and perhaps without really having understood the world through American eyes. The US has historically been a bit pig-headed and isolationist, but it is less xenophobic than a number of other countries. Having experienced growing up and living here, you might be more inclined to understand why saying "the USA does not want ____" doesn't really make much sense, because the USA is such a large and diverse place - many may agree, but many may not. Even the government itself is unlikely to have a unanimous consensus. Part of our history and culture is being fragmented and individualistic, for better and worse.

Much the same, you are saying Typology Central as if it is comprised of a single entity. Yet it too is a melting pot of individuals with a wide array of opinions, with members constantly coming and going. The site is a "living" entity in constant flux. I do not think it is really fair to say that Typology Central does not want us to learn the language of contexts - for one, who is Typology Central? For two, who at Typology Central have you asked this question of?

Fortunately, we are all born into layer upon layer of context. We are born into contexts based on gender, on culture, on family structure, on language, on genetics, on environment, on SES, on interests, on skills. Even if whatever entity Typology Central is decided to try to take away contextual understanding from individuals, it would not be possible, because it is so ingrained into us. There is only connecting and understanding and the beauty of fusing and melding and analyzing and contrasting contexts.

So we come here from many contexts seeking many different things. We do not have to like one another's views on our contexts and we are welcome to voice dissent about any context. But everyone has to respect each others' ability to communicate without being repeatedly drawn away. If we are constantly drawn back into one context, we will never be able to learn the full language of contexts, will we? One person's reliance on a context does not mean that anyone else is trapped by it. Perhaps it is not one that is appealing to you. But we must all be free to try things out and see what works for us.

Just one metadata centre in Utah alone stores metadata in exabytes*. This means that metadata is the context in which literate individuals find ourselves.

The USA is severely contrained in the amount of metadata it can gather from US citizens, but the USA is free to gather all the metadata from foreigners. So US citizens are protected but the rest of us are not.

This makes George Orwell and his book, "1984", look like optimists.

There is no way to stop metadata.

Our only choice is to learn the language of contexts, in this case, metadata, and engage.

It is painfully obvious that almost everyone on Typology Central are protected literate individuals and so instinctively resist the language of contexts.

* It is commonly said that 5 exabytes could store all the words spoken by us over 100,000 years. I don't know how accurate this is but 1 exabyte is a very, very large number, and metadata is growing exponentially every day. And even today it is cheaper to store metadata than it is to delete it.

Mane

Permabanned
It is painfully obvious that almost everyone on Typology Central are protected literate individuals and so instinctively resist the language of contexts.

Because they make wide overwhelming generalizations about other people mindsets with disregard to the particular contexts and individual circumstances while dodging critical thinking by presenting those as painfully obvious observations? :dry:

Mole

Permabanned
Contexts, Generalisations, Metadata, and Moralism

Because they make wide overwhelming generalizations about other people mindsets with disregard to the particular contexts and individual circumstances while dodging critical thinking by presenting those as painfully obvious observations? :dry:

Metadata are generalisations of texts, so metadata are contexts. And contexts are in fact generalisations.

Literate individuals, innocent of a knowledge of metadata, use the word generalisation pejoratively to show their moral credentials.

So to use the word generalisation today is moralism rather than critical thinking.

Critical thinking recognises the reality that the literate individual is now the content of metadata.

This is a blow to the ego of the literate individual, and our only psychological defence is moralism.

And moralism at least makes us feel better and makes our opponent look bad.

Mole

Permabanned
Omg wtf are you on about?

Consider: I am a literate individual and the proof is that I am now writing literate English. But also consider: if my literate English were not held by metadata, you would not be able to read my literate English.

This might seem an obvious and trivial thing to say except we are now collecting, storing, and analysing, most of the metadata in the world.

Metadata is far more important than the data. Metadata tells us more about individuals and their connections than than mere data. For instance, the content of emails is nowhere as important as the metadata generated by each email. And consider: every day we leave a long trail of metadata wherever we go.

Unfortunately we are hypnotised by the content of emails and such, and are blind to the metadata generated caught and held and analysed.

In other words, we focus of the text and ignore the context.