• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are Past Lives Real?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are completely real, to me. I find concepts like dharma and karma immensely useful in dealing with the consequences of my past lives. Like the little 15 year old me who did everything it took to get out of his shitty life. Like the supremely irresponsible 19 year old me who had a lot of resources of his disposal and left me with a legacy to deal with, even though I'm not sure what exactly happened to that bastard. He certainly isn't who I am, but somehow I've inherited the fallout of his problems. The universe is mysterious that way.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
past lives could be real and it is could be shown in our dreams and we could be looking into someones the eyes of someone. our ancestors could be living their lives through

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I believe past lives are real. And thanks for sharing the video; I hadn't seen it before. I'm convinced that Cameron did indeed live on the island of Barra in his last incarnation.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm leaning to that there is a past life, than that there isn't. I don't know if Cameron's sudden sadness/quietness was a moment of sacredness or sheer disappointment.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm confused as to how this would work. If we all had past lives then with an ever-increasing population where would we get our souls from? Really well behaved animals? Or is there like some waiting period, your soul sits in some waiting office until a suitable vessel becomes available. Or do souls get duplicated or something? Who oversees it all? Who makes sure two souls don't get reincarnated into one body etc?

Reincarnation is a nice thing to think about, a comforting idea just like any concept of the afterlife. It is also really far-fetched.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In the sense most people mean (ie: i remember being Napoleon) there's no evidence backing it up as far as I know.
So I'm not sure why people are still discussing it..?

To me people discussing things with no backing what so ever in observable reality as if it was somewhat a serious topic of discussion is akin to people standing in front of empty air and discussing how to decorate that wall, in front of them. (though people do that when planning the future but u know what i mean)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm confused as to how this would work. If we all had past lives then with an ever-increasing population where would we get our souls from? Really well behaved animals? Or is there like some waiting period, your soul sits in some waiting office until a suitable vessel becomes available. Or do souls get duplicated or something? Who oversees it all? Who makes sure two souls don't get reincarnated into one body etc?

Reincarnation is a nice thing to think about, a comforting idea just like any concept of the afterlife. It is also really far-fetched.
Yeah. I've never been sure how to reconcile 'past lives'/reincarnation with population growth. Do some past lives exist on a different plane (e.g. as Asura, Animal, Preta, Narka)? Do some souls just hang around until it's time for them to be born for the first time, effectively leading to a population growth? Could our souls multiply when we die? Could the essence of a soul be captured in multiple people?

Then again, I haven't looked too deeply into the whole thing. It might've been answered already.
In the sense most people mean (ie: i remember being Napoleon) there's no evidence backing it up as far as I know.
Creepy coincidences, especially those witnessed first-hand, make for pretty convincing 'evidence' of things. We humans love to find patterns in the universe. How can we explain supposed familiarity with situations, objects, and people who lived well before our time? Well, we had past lives. Bam.

That's pretty much it.

Ovid

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I refuse to believe in past lives because there's no way I'm doing this **** again. :)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, I came to this line of reasoning the last time I pondered the subject. Population has only *grown*, how the hell is that possible?
There is, however, a fantasy or maybe curiosity of mine as to whether our genetics somehow predispose us to identify a deep appreciation or maybe 'deja vu' like experience for ancestral homelands, or something that looks vaguely similar, which is something that could plausibly be sent forward in time with us (a genetic predisposition to enjoy mountains, particularly of a certain general size + color/foliage mix, for example). I'm willing to bet it's a bunk theory but it's one I fancy.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yeah, I came to this line of reasoning the last time I pondered the subject. Population has only *grown*, how the hell is that possible?
There is, however, a fantasy or maybe curiosity of mine as to whether our genetics somehow predispose us to identify a deep appreciation or maybe 'deja vu' like experience for ancestral homelands, or something that looks vaguely similar, which is something that could plausibly be sent forward in time with us (a genetic predisposition to enjoy mountains, particularly of a certain general size + color/foliage mix, for example). I'm willing to bet it's a bunk theory but it's one I fancy.

But the experiences of past lives I've seen are detailed accounts (by kids) of actual lives lived, surroundings, people around them etc. I doubt DNA can store that.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But the experiences of past lives I've seen are detailed accounts (by kids) of actual lives lived, surroundings, people around them etc. I doubt DNA can store that.

Agreed. BS-o-meter pegged...

Antsers

MBTI Type
ENFP
The idea kind of spooks me.. lol. But the idea of resurrection that windoverlake said, would be interesting. But-- ehh.. Honestly, the boy could've heard the story from somewhere. I'm skeptical.

Hmm.. I don't think hinduism has the full story of what really happens, but I like the concept of it. I don't believe in Karma though. I think that's bullshit. No offense and sorry if I did offend you. I think they'll be a scientific explanation for this. The idea of having past lives seems too mystical. Some possible explanations could be like, passed down information in the brain; like maybe it was stored in the brain and passed down to the child. Not a scientist, but it seems plausible, especially since we haven't yet uncovered all the secrets of the brain.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
There is a tv series about this phenomenon called "The ghost in my child" on the LMN channel; episodes are on youtube. For those who want to read more about the subject, I'd recommend Brian Weiss' books; he's a hypnotherapist who's conducted (allegedly) thousands of past life regression sessions.

The answer to the population conundrum from believers like Weiss is that souls exist on other worlds, other timelines, and souls can be split in the same timeline.

I'm agnostic on the subject but I prefer this idea to a resurrection and judgement.

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know. A few years ago if you started to tell me about your pasts lives, you would've received a snort of derision for your time. However, I've gotten to know two people who remember fragments from previous lives. I have a great deal of respect for both of them, they're some of the most insightful and intelligent people I've ever met. Neither one seems like the person to make up fantasies to make their lives more interesting. And they both work in very practical areas (one is a surgeon, the other an engineer). So it's not like they're mystics making up bullshit to sell you crystals.

Still, I remain skeptical of the idea myself. I'm open to the possibility, but I need something more than anecdotal evidence to take it more seriously.

LonestarCowgirl

There is a tv series about this phenomenon called "The ghost in my child" on the LMN channel; episodes are on youtube. For those who want to read more about the subject, I'd recommend Brian Weiss' books; he's a hypnotherapist who's conducted (allegedly) thousands of past life regression sessions.

The answer to the population conundrum from believers like Weiss is that souls exist on other worlds, other timelines, and souls can be split in the same timeline.

I'm agnostic on the subject but I prefer this idea to a resurrection and judgement.

I've seen the show, as well. There was a child speaking russian that was never taught russian.

The child appeared to see and hear into the spiritual realm (that's all around us). Some have a gift and get a glimpse. Some have spirits attached to them.