• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How does religion affect the development of a personality type?

Lark

Perhaps an example would help.

Ala. Senate candidate: 9/11 might have been punishment for rejecting God | TheHill

They love the uneducated in Alabama. And the people they elect will make sure they stay that way.

I'm not sure there's any equivalence between this and Iran, it just looks like someone with an opinion, which is popular with others, I can think of lots of examples of so called right on liberal opinions, which are popular with others, still not Iran, still not anything other than a secular state.

Mole

Permabanned
The various beliefs are the content, while religion goes about its business of enchanting and entrancing.

So rather than trying to free us from the beliefs of religion, we need to start to free us from the entrancement of religion.

The entrancement of religion starts with children, because their critical minds are not developed, and are so easy to entrance.

Dennis Wier in his book From Magic to Technology gives us a secular understanding of trance, and how to wake from a trance, click on Trance: From Magic To Technology by Dennis R. Wier .

I think a better question is how does religion influence human development? In the west I am particularly concerned by the apocalyptic narrative of some on the right. I think it also runs with a fear of "illuminati" and NWO, etc which seems like a malevolent force to the poor man left behind by globalization. Thus the similarities between brexiters and Trump's base as well as far right groups in the US and EU around migrants/refugees. If you look at the breakdown of demographics in the recent election the rural/urban divide and generational divides also seem to hold across the Atlantic. To my European friends, does this religious divide hold as well? Compare Japan whose Buddhist/Shinto narrative does not seem to promote and end times narrative that gets preyed upon by politicians

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:rofl: Christians are humans, usually human, all too human at that, especially given that its a creed which attracts people who feel they are in need of forgiveness. Christ, well now, dude was the literal son of God, an incarnation of God, God incarnate. Sort of unsurprising that run of the mill human types dont measure up to that
I personally didn't come to Christianity because of any guilt complex. Far from it. I grew up in it, rejected it. Then years later came back with an open mind to search for myself one way or the other.
I didn't want any preacher explaining it "for" me. I just read. Looked up questions online and came to know it very differently than how it was explained to me and it spoke to me as true.
To each their own.
----
Kind of the point, yes. I'm always wary of anyone who uses God to preach against the sins of others. They usually are trying to sweep their own dirt under someone else's rug.

Mole

Permabanned
I think a better question is how does religion influence human development? In the west I am particularly concerned by the apocalyptic narrative of some on the right. I think it also runs with a fear of "illuminati" and NWO, etc which seems like a malevolent force to the poor man left behind by globalization. Thus the similarities between brexiters and Trump's base as well as far right groups in the US and EU around migrants/refugees. If you look at the breakdown of demographics in the recent election the rural/urban divide and generational divides also seem to hold across the Atlantic. To my European friends, does this religious divide hold as well? Compare Japan whose Buddhist/Shinto narrative does not seem to promote and end times narrative that gets preyed upon by politicians

The good Buddhists of Myanmar, formerly Burma, are ethnically cleansing the Rohingya, as you read this. And the good Buddhist/Shinto Japanese bombed my country, starting with a larger force than the one that bombed Pearl Harbour, then bombied us down the East Coast, then down the West Coast.

Unfortunately the New Age, in rejecting Christianity, idealises Buddhism.

Mole

Permabanned
I personally didn't come to Christianity because of any guilt complex. Far from it. I grew up in it, rejected it. Then years later came back with an open mind to search for myself one way or the other.
I didn't want any preacher explaining it "for" me. I just read. Looked up questions online and came to know it very differently than how it was explained to me and it spoke to me as true.
To each their own.
----
Kind of the point, yes. I'm always wary of anyone who uses God to preach against the sins of others. They usually are trying to sweep their own dirt under someone else's rug.

The religious have raped thousands of children in their care in Australia, and although we have stopped them, we know they are still raping thousands of children in their care in Asia, Africa, and South America.

[MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] I am aware Buddhists can be bad actors, but at least their religion doesn't seem to fear technology. Eg Thailand and the promotion of condom use, Japan and its pro-robot culture, etc. I'm not sure entirely what causes the differences, but at least from a US centric point of view religion plays into a lot of end times political conspiracy and has for some time. I see parallels to club of Rome/g8/Rothschild conspiracies in the EU though I am unsure if religion plays a common link there

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl:

Christians are humans, usually human, all too human at that, especially given that its a creed which attracts people who feel they are in need of forgiveness.

Christ, well now, dude was the literal son of God, an incarnation of God, God incarnate.

Sort of unsurprising that run of the mill human types dont measure up to that :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Well thank God someone is... FFS. :dry:

- - - Updated - - -

I'd not worry about it, you're only human, the great thing about being human? You can always change if you want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Its hardly Iran. :dry:

I don't think you understand. The way I see things, the fact that I'm an atheist should have no effect on anyone. I believe a real God, if one does exist, is one that does not demand subjugation and worship. Therefore, all religions are false. And when I look at it from a common sense perspective as well, it just doesn't make sense to me. I have my own theories about how the world was formed and how life came to happen. None of those ideas particularly necessitate the existence of a higher power. So why must I believe?

The thing is, I look around the world but I see no God, I have never seen God all my life. I understand it is different for different people and that's okay and understandable. Maybe you know something I don't. I'm not smug about it, or mocking religious people. I also am not amoral, like how some theists claim.

In the end, everyone can believe whatever they want.

Lark

I don't think you understand. The way I see things, the fact that I'm an atheist should have no effect on anyone. I believe a real God, if one does exist, is one that does not demand subjugation and worship. Therefore, all religions are false. And when I look at it from a common sense perspective as well, it just doesn't make sense to me. I have my own theories about how the world was formed and how life came to happen. None of those ideas particularly necessitate the existence of a higher power. So why must I believe?

The thing is, I look around the world but I see no God, I have never seen God all my life. I understand it is different for different people and that's okay and understandable. Maybe you know something I don't. I'm not smug about it, or mocking religious people. I also am not amoral, like how some theists claim.

In the end, everyone can believe whatever they want.

Well, there is the idea that you can depend on thousands of years of scholarly work, as opposed to just what you've seen and heard yourself, its a stupid analogy but honestly, I've never seen australia, not in my life and I only have books I've read, people I've spoken to etc. to know its there but I dont doubt them.

Its up to yourself though, I dont see it as a matter of anyone "must believe", love doesnt compell in that way.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, there is the idea that you can depend on thousands of years of scholarly work, as opposed to just what you've seen and heard yourself, its a stupid analogy but honestly, I've never seen australia, not in my life and I only have books I've read, people I've spoken to etc. to know its there but I dont doubt them.

Its up to yourself though, I dont see it as a matter of anyone "must believe", love doesnt compell in that way.
I don't believe in Australia. I accept the existence of Australia based on objectively verifiable evidence. I could even get on a plane and go there, to check it out myself. Its existence is falsifiable. Things I accept in the spiritual realm, I accept in the absence of evidence. That is belief.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I am depending on thousands of years of scholarly work, just not the kind your talking about. Of course, Australia exists. It makes sense that it does. But God doesn't make sense to me.

Also, you don't need god to have love in your hearts. That's true for sure. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating my beliefs.

Lark

I am depending on thousands of years of scholarly work, just not the kind your talking about. Of course, Australia exists. It makes sense that it does. But God doesn't make sense to me.

Also, you don't need god to have love in your hearts. That's true for sure. Anyway, I'm not interested in debating my beliefs.

I would argue with that, your beliefs are your own and you're welcome to them.

Maybe when I was a lot younger I'd have been satisfied with the beliefs that you've got, these days, not so much. World religions are really, really interesting and I'd say check it out, the whole topic can be a lot of fun.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It doesn't make sense for the neighbor's girl to keep going back to that nasty boy who treats her badly, or for trained, experienced physicians to have to work as janitors, but that is reality. Plenty of things that fail the nonsense test are sadly very real. More to the point, the existence of God is not falsifiable. It is impossible to prove or to disprove God's existence. This is why belief in God is in fact a belief and not something demonstrated by evidence.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder more about the reverse: how personality type influences one's religious development. There have already been several threads touching on that, though.

I'd say NT believers would be less likely to be as firm in their beliefs as the other three groups - NFs, SPs, and SJs