• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can creativity be used for any purposes?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
In other words, does creativity have some moral direction or is it entirely at the behest of the user. Can dictators, serial killers, sadists, and other people whose behaviour we consider to be morally abhorrent simulatenously be considered to be highly imaginiative people?

Discuss.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We being,.... mainstream western society? I can think of plenty of things i deem morally abhorrent that are considered tradition in other parts of the world, those things have little to do with creativity or lack thereof.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Morality and creativity are separate and have no relationship to each other.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can creativity be used for any purposes?
:nono:

Can dictators, serial killers, sadists, and other people whose behaviour we consider to be morally abhorrent simulatenously be considered to be highly imaginiative people?
:yes:

kinda obvious, isn't it

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One more for considering creativity unrelated to morality in and of itself. Once the bearer uses it for something, then that particular act might strike our morals one way or another. It might be a very dangerous thing they're doing. Maybe it ought to be stopped, perhaps in an equally creative way. But creative, still.

Witnessing or learning about something like that makes me think hard about what responsibilities I want to choose to hold my own creativity (and other abilities) to.

Mole

Permabanned
Creativity has only recently become visible, so now everyone and their dog are creative or want to be creative, and we even now have 'creative cities'.

But creativity has only now become visible because creativity is now the content of the electronic media.

Not so long ago creativity was invisible, but now the electronic media are invisible.

And in the future, the electronic media will become visible, when the electronic media become the content of a media not yet invented and not yet imagined.

Nicodemus

In other words, does creativity have some moral direction or is it entirely at the behest of the user. Can dictators, serial killers, sadists, and other people whose behaviour we consider to be morally abhorrent simulatenously be considered to be highly imaginiative people?
Honey, this is neither challenging nor controversial.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is common knowledge. you have to be creative and smart to not get caught.

Beorn

Permabanned
The responses so far make me sad.

This is why we can't have nice things. Literally.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The responses so far make me sad.

This is why we can't have nice things. Literally.

no not literally. the responses have no monetary value nor have they destroyed anything of monetary value.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Morality and creativity are separate and have no relationship to each other.
For the most part, yes. Except situations where some form of morality might dissuade a person from creating art. For example, had a more traditional morality won Andres Serrano over, he never would have created Piss Christ.

Not to mention all the times when someone might want to creatively rob a bank, or start a family unbeknownst to their current family, or create complex tableaus out of dead bodies (see: True Detective, Dexter), or anything else morally wrong that would take creativity to come up with.

Beorn

Permabanned
no not literally. the responses have no monetary value nor have they destroyed anything of monetary value.

Ugh. Equating nice things only with monetary value. Your lack of imagination is proving my point.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ugh. Equating nice things only with monetary value. Your lack of imagination is proving my point.

I'm not going to argue with you. but have you even read some of my posts? your point disproven

Beorn

Permabanned
For the most part, yes. Except situations where some form of morality might dissuade a person from creating art. For example, had a more traditional morality won Andres Serrano over, he never would have created Piss Christ.

That's not art. Desecration is easy. Building York Minster was not.

Beorn

Permabanned
Let's try this exercise:

Can you imagine a place totally devoid of imagination and creativity where goodness also exists?

Sadly some of you may only need to look around you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Let's try this exercise:

Can you imagine a place totally devoid of imagination and creativity where goodness also exists?

considering creatitivity and morals aren't both apples yes. you can be creative and have 50699 different morals but you can also be amoral and not be creative at all. or not be creative and 50699 morals but also be amoral and be very creative

Beorn

Permabanned
considering creatitivity and morals aren't both apples yes. you can be creative and have 50699 different morals but you can also be amoral and not be creative at all. or not be creative and 50699 morals but also be amoral and be very creative

Tell me about this place.